CFL on NFL network? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

CFL on NFL network?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CharginBrowns » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:11 am

yup there are alot of pretty major differences, and yup- running isnt as big a factor, and if you get 2 yds on 1st down, you are stuck with "3rd and long". Thats what makes the CFL so fast-paced though. There are so many opportunities for the "big play" to happen, that it inevitably does occur quite often. It also means that in a tight game, teams can get quicker defensive stands in the 4th Q, and get poss. back.

Don't get me wrong- I'm an NFL-first guy, but during the summer, CFL quenches my thirst a little.
CharginBrowns
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:09 am

Free Bagel wrote:Holy crap those rules are a lot more different than I thought. Only 3 downs? Do they still have to get 10 yards? I would think if so that would make running far less of a factor. I mean, if you run on 1st down for 2 yards, now you're stuck with (in our sense) "3rd and long".

Yeah, it's still 10 yards. It really changes playcalling. The times I've watched, the offenses seem much more agressive rather than probing like the NFL. Frankly, you just don't have that luxury.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:39 am

I think I would like to see what the CFL is all about. I have never seen a game, so it might be interesting to see the different rules and plays that are made. If the NFL Network shows it (and I remember), then I think I will tune in for sure.

Someone probably already said it, but don't you get 1 point on a FG try for getting it "close?" I remember one time a friend of mine said an OT game in the CFL was decided on a kicker trying a horrendously long FG and getting the one point for being close.

Is this the same sort of rule that they have in Australian Rules Football? Do they have behind posts or something? I know those are worth one point.

Last edited by Mercer Boy on Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby CharginBrowns » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:45 am

Mercer Boy wrote:I think I would like to see what the CFL is all about. I have never seen a game, so it might be interesting to see the different rules and plays that are made. If the NFL Network shows it (and I remember), then I think I will tune in for sure.

Someone probably already said it, but don't you get 1 point on a FG try for getting it "close?" I remember one time a friend of mine said an OT game in the CFL was decided on a kicker trying a horrendously long FG and getting the one point for being close.

Is this the same sort of rule that they have in Australian Rules Football? Do they have behind posts or something? I know those are worth one point.

THE ROUGE!

by far the funniest rule in the CFL

if you kick it and it goes through the endzone / is downed in the endzone, then your team gets 1 point.
CharginBrowns
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:48 am

We've overlooked the most important rule difference: The Rouge. Any ball kicked into the endzone and not run out counts for one point. So kickoffs that are not returned and missed field goals ( 8-o ) are worth one point.

Free Bagel wrote:Holy crap those rules are a lot more different than I thought. Only 3 downs? Do they still have to get 10 yards? I would think if so that would make running far less of a factor. I mean, if you run on 1st down for 2 yards, now you're stuck with (in our sense) "3rd and long".

I'd rather them show NFL Europe, although I don't get NFL Network anyway so it doesn't really matter what I think.

Yeah, you still need 10 yards but it's easier to get yardage because of the wider and longer field. The field is 15 yards wider so out patterns and fades are easier to run and its easier to score in a longer endzone. Plus the defenders have to line up off the ball so 3rd and short situations are almost gimmes.

The best difference b/w the NFL and the CFL though is NO FAIR CATCH!!

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Santacruzer » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:11 am

Evolution wrote:Actually, one was called the Roughrider and the other was the Roughriders. I'll completely agree that it sounded idiotic to me growing up while watching those two teams play one another.

The Ottawa team actually ended up folding and then was re-made a couple years ago as an expansion team.

They actually diferentiated themselves by the way they were pronounced. One was the Roughriders, and the other was the Rough (pause)Riders. Still, very silly for a league with just 9 teams. At least with Ottawa's "re-birth" they changed their name.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Evolution » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:25 pm

Just so you guys know, the uprights are right at the front of the endzone, so missed field goals have an opportunity to be returned by a returner, punted back out of the endzone, or downed for a 1 point loss.

Also, if you are behind the punter when he kicks the ball, you are eligible to recover it (just like an onside kick).

The running game is actually more of a factor than you would believe. Because (in NFL terms), most sets are 4 WR sets (2 WRs and 2 "slotbacks"), the defense is very spread out, so RBs usually average about 5 to 6 yards per carry. Of course, running the ball is risky, because if you're stopped, it's 2nd and 10 which makes getting the 1st down difficult.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk