Stupid strategy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Stupid strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stupid strategy?

Postby jhoefen » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:51 pm

a little background. I play in a significant $$ league. The last two years, one teams strategy that i thought was gonna flop did really well. both years he came in 2nd place. The league rewards bonuses for long plays. The strategy was if he was at the end of the round, while everybody was grabbing RB's, he would grab the likes of TO and Moss (lots of bonus scoring) then in the third roun he would grab his #1 RB along with another stud WR. He then would concetrate on getting a good QB, Kicker and D. Every year he would lose the first two or three games (putting him 1st on the waiver wire). He then grabs any RB's available. Last year it was Droughns. With the bonus for Long Td's he becomes almost untouchable with his 3 stud WR's and now a solid 1/2 RB. But I dont know if i like the Idea of losing the first few weeks, it requires you to get a little lucky with the waiver wire. Just wondering if anybody else has tried this with any success?
jhoefen
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:01 pm

I wouldn't exactly take that strategy b/c it involves a lot of luck. Who knows if their will be another Droughns on the wire this year. Also, what if you pick up a guy who you think is gonna be a good RB but then he flops. So, in turn, you lose WW priority. It just seems to make the most sense to draft smart and balanced. Then, if you can find the Droughns of this year from the WW, more power to you and your team will have depth and everything
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:07 pm

Never, ever... freaking EVER lose games on purpose to get waiver priority.

Other than that, i see nothing wrong with loading up on stud WR's.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:09 pm

J2thez929 wrote:I wouldn't exactly take that strategy b/c it involves a lot of luck. Who knows if their will be another Droughns on the wire this year. Also, what if you pick up a guy who you think is gonna be a good RB but then he flops. So, in turn, you lose WW priority. It just seems to make the most sense to draft smart and balanced. Then, if you can find the Droughns of this year from the WW, more power to you and your team will have depth and everything

I can almost assure you that there will be a Rueben Droughens on thw rie this year. The lucky part is figuring out who it is. There really is no way to tell. Some guys are more likely candidates than others, but it is still a crapshoot.

That is an interesting strategy. I would probably be too afraid to take the chance though.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:12 pm

J2thez929 wrote:I wouldn't exactly take that strategy b/c it involves a lot of luck. Who knows if their will be another Droughns on the wire this year. Also, what if you pick up a guy who you think is gonna be a good RB but then he flops. So, in turn, you lose WW priority. It just seems to make the most sense to draft smart and balanced. Then, if you can find the Droughns of this year from the WW, more power to you and your team will have depth and everything

There always is a Rueben Droughns type to emerge from the wire....

Last year it was Droughns... The year before that it was Dom Davis... The year before that it was Clinton Portis, etc... etc... etc...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:15 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:

Last year it was Droughns... The year before that it was Dom Davis... The year before that it was Clinton Portis, etc... etc... etc...

Ok even with that being said, its tough to figure it out before it becomes obvious. I mean you could have wasted a WW priority pick on Aaron Stecker and not have grabbed Droughns. Then you season is in the tubes if you followed that strategy
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:20 pm

J2thez929 wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:

Ok even with that being said, its tough to figure it out before it becomes obvious. I mean you could have wasted a WW priority pick on Aaron Stecker and not have grabbed Droughns. Then you season is in the tubes if you followed that strategy

That's where the luck comes is.... ;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jhoefen » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:38 pm

In my league, every week the WW goes by record. So if you pick up someone who was terrible and lost that week, you would still have WW priority. So he just sits there and waits for a good RB to come into play. Last year for example his team was (with 12th pick): 1.TO, 2. Moss, 3. Chad Johnson, 4. Kevin Jones, 5. M. Vick, 6. k. Robinson, 7. Baltimore, 8. Akers. With bonus for long td's, Moss, TO or Johnson could almost win it for you any week. If you can get almost any decent RB off the WW your gonna be tough to beat. It is especially good since you can maintain your WW priority from week to week. He is very active early on every year, adding a RB almost every week and dropping someone who has fallen out of favor. He picked up droghns after he ran for 200 yrds. The year before, I believe it WAS Dominick Davis he picked up. I've even heard another player out his strategy to the rest of the teams and say HE was going to try it next year. Just an interesting idea. I dont know how it will work if several teams try it.
jhoefen
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby CC » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:43 pm

If you have to wonder whether a strategy is stupid or not, it's not worth using.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jhoefen » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:00 pm

That's just it, i'm saying I think it is actually a really good strategy. It sounds odd trying to basically lose the first few games but he becomes almost unstoppable. He's won over $1000 of our (the leagues) money the past two seasons as well as had a chance to win much more. If i happen to be at the end of the draft order i'm thinking i'm going to try it myself. So by your reply am i to assume you think it wouldnt work?
jhoefen
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk