Fantasy Kickers: Why bother? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy Kickers: Why bother?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fantasy Kickers: Why bother?

Postby MeShawn » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:14 pm

I have a problem when kickers are drafted early.

Here were the '01 top five kickers and how they finished in '02...

1. Wilkins - 23rd
2. Vanderjact - 17th
3. Elam - 7th
4. K Brown - 27th
5. Feely - 1st

'02 top 5 kickers and how they finished in '03...

1. Feely - 24th
2. Akers - 9th
3. Carney - 15th
4. Longwell - 6th
5. Janikowski - 21st

'03 top 5 kickers and how they finished in '04...

1. Wilkins - 24th
2. Vanderjact - 7th
3. Stover - 9th
4. Kasay - 27th
5. G Anderson - 25th

So in the past three years, 6 out of the 15 kickers dropped out of the top 23 the next year. Only 1 top five kicker repeated his top 5 performance the following year (Jay Feely '01-'02). But that didn't really matter, becuase even after finished 1st in '02, he finished 24th in '03. Wilkins joined him by being #1 in '03, but also finishing an awful 24th the next year.

On average (over the past 3 years), a top 5 kicker finished as the #16 kicker the following year. The #16 kicker isn't even worthy of being owned in most 10-12 team leagues.

Last year, two top 5 kickers, Shayne Graham and Jeff Reed could both be found on the WW.

Fantasy kickers are a crapshoot. The key to a successful fantasy kicker is not how talented the kicker is, but how many opportunities he'll get. And there is no way you can make a prediction based on stats for which team will have the most FG + PAT attempts in a season.

Most like myself, will never draft a kicker until the very end of a draft, but I always see kickers going in the 9th/10th rounds, while great backup QB's, 3rd WR's, and top 10 TE's are still available. You'll be able to find a good number of WW kickers that finish leaps and bounds ahead of the so-called "stud" fantasy kickers that are drafted in the 10th round. Kickers are the most inconsistant position in fantasy football.
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

hmmm

Postby o_street7000 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:18 pm

i got wilkins for 6/350 of my salary cap so im fine with that especially when your system proves nicely for kickers. Id say its all gut feeling, and if you leave a yahoo draft early they often do a nice job on kickers for you ( 2 years ago i got wilkins and venderjat, last year i got akers). so do what you want
o_street7000
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby VaderFin » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:33 pm

Most people pick kickers in the 10th round or so because they don't know what else to do. They have a starter at every other position usually and panic. Figure they will fill their team.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kanezfan11 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:39 pm

VaderFin wrote:Most people pick kickers in the 10th round or so because they don't know what else to do. They have a starter at every other position usually and panic. Figure they will fill their team.

That's how I view it. I either take a kicker in the last round or just don't take one and grab one off FA before the season starts.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:48 pm

Couldn't agree more. I made a big long post about this last offseason and found that the likelihood of a top 5 kicker finishing outside the top 20 the next year is actually way higher than that kicker finishing in the top 5 again the next year.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:27 pm

David Akers, a kicker with top10 finishes in the past 8 consecutive years, is not worth more than other kickers?
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby The Lung » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:42 pm

Don't draft a kicker at all this year and take Steelers K Jeff Reed off the waiver wire after the draft is over. He converted 17 field goals in a row to finish the regular season, and then went 4 for 4 in the playoffs. He'll enter the 2005 season needing two more to tie Gary Anderson's Steelers record for consecutive field goals.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Demented Avenger » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:18 pm

The Lung wrote:Don't draft a kicker at all this year and take Steelers K Jeff Reed off the waiver wire after the draft is over. He converted 17 field goals in a row to finish the regular season, and then went 4 for 4 in the playoffs. He'll enter the 2005 season needing two more to tie Gary Anderson's Steelers record for consecutive field goals.

How many fantasy points do you get for breaking a Steelers franchise record? ;-)
"The signature"
Demented Avenger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flockers » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:20 pm

Demented Avenger wrote:
The Lung wrote:Don't draft a kicker at all this year and take Steelers K Jeff Reed off the waiver wire after the draft is over. He converted 17 field goals in a row to finish the regular season, and then went 4 for 4 in the playoffs. He'll enter the 2005 season needing two more to tie Gary Anderson's Steelers record for consecutive field goals.

How many fantasy points do you get for breaking a Steelers franchise record? ;-)

Afinity, duh. :-D
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:20 pm

good post meshawn ;-D
whoseyourdaddy12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner