Favorite Draft Position? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Favorite Draft Position?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby hayesb26 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:09 pm

For this year, I'd prefer either the first or seventh draft spots. With the #1, you can get LT, an almost guaranteed stud, and with the #7 you can still get a top-tier RB and a high quality player in the following round.

The past couple years I'd been hoping for a pick in the 4-6 range, but it's not looking that way this season...
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby myintrotoletyouknow » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:12 pm

i traded down this year(from 1/10 to 5/6) in most of my rounds because i knew i could still get a quality RB first round(lewis) and got a great #2 2nd round(mcallister). i didnt like the 18 or so picks i was gonna have to wait between rounds.
myintrotoletyouknow
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Charlie24 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:53 pm

with the incredible amount of talent at the RB position this year I'd rather be first overall or in the top three at least so I can take LT and in the second round I could get a good #2 RB and at least this way I'll have the best back in the game
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Charlie24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:57 pm

it depends on the players available.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MadScott » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:04 pm

kanezfan11 wrote:First, second to last, or last. I hate the middle which is what I usually end up with. The middle is basically a spot where I get someone out of the first tier or near the end of it and just miss some of the better guys that go in the early second. Gotta love the double picks also.

;-D I'm with Kanez. I love being able to craft your team from these positions with the double picks.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:23 pm

Definitely would rather be real early or real late. I think it's a little easier to set up your team when you have the back to back picks or close to it and you can kinda gauge who is going to fall to you where and what kind of picks you want to make.

This year I'd preferably draft 2nd if I had a choice because I want Holmes...and I know LT always goes first. Listen, people are all worried about Holmes getting hurt but all you have to do is get LJ and then it matters nil.

Another reason I don't want to pick in the middle is because you have like 10-12 backs I could really give or take and one of them will fall to me at the end of the 2nd so therefore I'm better off having an early 3rd rounder to decide if I want to take a crack at a top 5 WR, or Gates/Gonzo, or the best remaining RB if I use a flex.

At this point in time this would be my blue print for a draft in a 10 team QB, 2RB, 2WR, X, TE, K, Def lineup

1. Holmes (previously explained)
2. Jordan (who I really like for this year who will fall to me at the end of the 2nd)
3. Bell (see what happens with some of the other RBs, if pool looks deep I may opt for WR here; if Bell looks good in Pre-S, I'll just stick with Bell)
4. D-Jax/Ward (Gates or Gonzo if my league is retarded)
5. Burleson
6. LJ (here's my handcuff)
7. Collins
8. Dallas Clark
9th and up, I'll take shots at some semi-sleeper WRs like Branch, Burress, Calico, Boldin.

With that team, which I'm 95% sure I could draft if picking 2nd overall, I'd be very hard to beat.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Evolution » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:03 am

I like that strat Az, but I seriously doublt LJ is around at 6.12. He's gone mid to late 5th or early 6th at the latest in pretty much everything I've done so far.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:06 am

yeah i agree....ive seen LJ consistently going earlier.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:23 am

In the last 10 AntSports mocks I've seen Johnson went 6.10, 8.03, 9.02, 7.06, 8.03, 8.08, 7.09, 6.03, 7.08, and 9.01

Only once would you not have gotten him where I suggest to take him, simply because most people are still filling out their starting lineups. While a 6th rounder may sound expensive to back up Holmes, it's exponentially more expensive to take him there and not even have Holmes when you could be filling out your line up or taking other starting backs as backups. I really doubt you'll get robbed in the 6th with that starting lineup.

EDIT: And remember, this is a 10 team league I'm talking about, not a 12+ teamer.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Evolution » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:36 am

Sorry, I missed the 10-team thing. In that case it's more feasible.

Although I did a couple of AntSports mocks, and usually the other idiots are guys who take Portis top 3 and such, so I dont put much stock into them.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk