QB-WR Combos - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

QB-WR Combos

Moderator: Football Moderators

QB-WR Combos

Postby WMx21 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:11 pm

Im sure this has come up before but what do you guys think about drafting or acquiring QB-WR combos. Does this strategy hurt more or help more? A guy in my league had Manning-Harrison last year and he went all the way to the championship game and then lost. But He also had Javon Walker, W Dunn, C Martin, T Holt. So he had a great team beyond the combo. But I suppose on any given week a combo could really win for you. What do you guys think?

[b][color=green]It's All About[/color] [color=orange]The U.[/color][/b]
WMx21
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Atog » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:27 pm

Second-Tier WRs can be really inconsistant, and when you have someone like Manning, who puts up great numbers every week, using one of his WRs can be a great idea. If it were a different combo, like Carr-AJ, then not so much.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Azrael » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:42 pm

They are good to have if you can find ones that will out produce their value. While a Manning/Harrison may be the best combo, it's really not worth it because you'd have to spend a 1st and 2nd round pick on those guys.

Some combos that should be good for their value this year where it may actually be feasible to start that QB every week are (projected rounds by me in parens)

Hass/D-Jax (7th/4th)
Palmer/CJ (10th/3rd)
Brady/Branch or Givens (8th/9th, exceptional value if you expect Branch or Givens to have a pretty good year)
Collins/Moss (7th/1st)
Favre/Walker (8th/3rd)
Delhomme/Smith (8th/4th)
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Ironhorse75 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:05 am

The Brees-Gates-LT2 combo pretty much solidified my playoff spot.

I ended up losing only because half my starters were playoff bound and got rest the final game.
Ironhorse75
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:08 am

id generally shy away from it, but id love to lock down the palmer-CJ combo. thats money in the bank. ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:54 am

It's certainly a strategy worth considering. You'll have a lot of eggs in one basket, but nobody likes facing a QB-WR team come playoff time. If you do go with this strategy, make sure to take a look at the schedules and choose players from a team with good matchups (and, presumably, weather) when your league's playoffs roll around.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby footballfreak449 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:10 am

It's nice, but limit yourself... Don't get Brees, Gates, and LT2... because if they have a bad week, you lose! I personally prefer QB-RB combos. Then pretty much anytime the team scores, you get points. And if the QB is having a bad day, they go to the ground and you rack up yards, and vice-versa.
footballfreak449
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby hayesb26 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:34 am

Last season in the KKL, I had McNabb and Owens. At times, I would love the QB/WR combo, but then at other times, I would absolutely hate it.

The pair did carry me through on about three different weeks early in the season, but once Owens got injured, McNabbs numbers also dropped. That pair ended up leaving me a little short on the playoffs, as they pretty much were the bulk of my scoring.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kanezfan11 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:47 am

I had Peyton/Harrison last year and won with it. I personally like doing it and don't have a problem with it, but I don't intentionally look to get a combo in the draft, it just happens.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:55 am

I always seem to end up with one of these combos every year, whether they be starters or backups, although I try not to. The best way to do it is to get a very consistent receiver to go with your quarterback...a favorite of mine and one I've had two years straight in one of my money re-draft leagues is Hass/D-Jax...always seems to work out. In fact last year I didn't come out of the draft with D-Jax...only Hass...but traded for Jackson just two days before that huge two touchdown game he had. :-D
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk