Ricky Williams/Ronnie Brown... who starts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ricky Williams/Ronnie Brown... who starts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ricky Williams/Ronnie Brown... who starts?

Postby bagobonez » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:11 pm

Looks like Ricky is for real about making his comeback to the NFL. Question is... who starts in Miami? They are very similar runners. Of course Ricky has more experience than Ronnie, but I can't imagine he's on the other players' good side.

What does this do to each of their draft status? Where do you expect them to go now?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:15 pm

IF, and that's still a big IF, Ricky comes back and IF he plays for the Dolphins he would miss the first 4 games of the season and then would probably have to be eased back into things for a week or 2. And who knows what kind of shape is in. Fortunately, we will know by the beginning of August what is going to happen as he can come out of retirement at the end of July.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:44 pm

This is why I say it looks like he's coming back.

The Palm Beach Post reports RB Ricky Williams is making "final preparations to move back to South Florida" from California and should be in the area within a week, the players' agent said Friday. "He's coming soon," agent Leigh Steinberg said. "He wants to start his workout program down there. Things are still on track for his return — and they'll stay on track." Steinberg also said Williams is set to reenter the NFL's drug treatment program, but Dolphins HC Nick Saban said after Friday morning's practice that he hadn't been made aware of that. "I haven't talked to Leigh, so whatever Leigh says is I guess what we have to go on," Saban said. The two did talk in the afternoon, however. Steinberg would not say what the subject was, only calling it "stuff." There has been no discussion yet about Williams' possible salary or the $8.6 million he owes the Dolphins. "We have to get him there, into the drug program and into that state first," Steinberg said. "There's obviously a lot of complexities to deal with, but we're going to take this step by step. We're not even close to that step yet." Saban said the Dolphins still plan to assist Williams in any way possible.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby VaderFin » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:54 pm

We are talking about Ricky Williams here...not a different rational human being. By July 25th he could be on a plane to Jamica to live with the locals for all I know.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:26 pm

When Ricky returns in week 6 he'll be welcomed with open arms after the running game gets shut out for the first 4 games of the yr.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby cooleyhigh » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:08 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:When Ricky returns in week 6 he'll be welcomed with open arms after the running game gets shut out for the first 4 games of the yr.

Do you think Brown has no talent, or questions about the rest of the offense?
cooleyhigh
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:03 pm

i think what happens with ricky with his role on the team lies heavily on how well brown performs during williams' suspension. if brown plays well those first 4 games, i see them sticking with brown, or going RBBC with ricky being the backup at best. if brown stinks it up he will open the door for ricky to come back and be the feature. im still not sold on him coming back...but thats just me.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:09 pm

cooleyhigh wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:When Ricky returns in week 6 he'll be welcomed with open arms after the running game gets shut out for the first 4 games of the yr.

Do you think Brown has no talent, or questions about the rest of the offense?

Well, even with the addition of McDougal, the Oline is still one of the worst in the league. A new system under a new head coach also adds to my concern.

However, the most important reason I say that?
week 1 - DEN - Ranked 4th in run D last yr.
week 2 - @ NYJ - Ranked 5th in run D last yr.
week 3 - CAR - Ranked 17th, but still a good D
week 4 - BYE
week 5 - @ BUF - Ranked 7th in run D last yr.
week 6 - the return of RW.

For any rookie RB - playing his first NFL games behind a line with little talent under a new head coach against some of the best Ds in the league...

Brown may have bucketloads of talent, but for the early portion of the yr, the cards are stacked against him. When RW is elligible to return, he will be a welcome sight.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby GMoney » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:13 pm

also remember that although rookies generally can have good SEASONS, it usually takes quite a few weeks to get going...

Last year look at KJ (took till like week 10), JJ (injured for first 10 weeks), SJ (limited role until later in the year), Bell (limmited role until about week 14).

I dont think that Brown will do all that much in the first 6 weeks and Rickey will play most the year..... ala Faulk/SJ last year.

Then RW gets traded in the offseason.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:52 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:week 1 - DEN - Ranked 4th in run D last yr.

Now starting the entire Cleveland Browns 2004 defensive line. Browns had the 32nd ranked run D last year, I have to imagine that lackluster D-line would make even Miami's O-line look decent.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk