Ricky Williams/Ronnie Brown... who starts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ricky Williams/Ronnie Brown... who starts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:17 pm

maddog60 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:week 1 - DEN - Ranked 4th in run D last yr.

Now starting the entire Cleveland Browns 2004 defensive line. Browns had the 32nd ranked run D last year, I have to imagine that lackluster D-line would make even Miami's O-line look decent.

Denver actually has linebackers though. Cleveland doesn't have anybody with the caliber of a DJ Williams or even an Ian Gold. Champ Bailey has a huge impact on the defense and what types of schemes they are able to run. I doubt Denver is ranked last in the league in run defense just because they picked up 3 former Cleveland Browns D-linemen (who were all basically blue-chip prospects coming out of college). Maybe these guys will find a will to play and stay healthy now that they are joining a "REAL" team.

No offense Cleveland Browns. (get it, no offense, hehe).
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:32 pm

I agree with the majority here: RW will come back and play the majority of the games after week seven or so. Should be an interesting prospect though. Hate to see an RBBC take away from their talent :-t
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CharginBrowns » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:05 pm

Even if Ronnie Brown can get his game (somehow) going in the early weeks, I still see Ricky coming back and taking the starting job. I think Saban will undego all sorts of criticism from the media, but Ronnie will play it like a pro ("good experience", "glad to get some games under my belt early"), and RW will play the next 2-3 weeks uncontested. If Ricky looks terrible, then Ronnie will be back in for the last 6-7 games of the year.

Moreover, if Ricky looks terrible and gets benched, he could be on the next flight out of town and never come back (until he needs more $$ for weed)
CharginBrowns
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:34 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I doubt Denver is ranked last in the league in run defense just because they picked up 3 former Cleveland Browns D-linemen (who were all basically blue-chip prospects coming out of college).

No doubt they shouldn't finish last in run defense with those LBs, but these guys starting will likely mean their defensive line is worse, which should negatively impact their run D.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MadScott » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:22 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
cooleyhigh wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:When Ricky returns in week 6 he'll be welcomed with open arms after the running game gets shut out for the first 4 games of the yr.

Do you think Brown has no talent, or questions about the rest of the offense?

Well, even with the addition of McDougal, the Oline is still one of the worst in the league. A new system under a new head coach also adds to my concern.

However, the most important reason I say that?
week 1 - DEN - Ranked 4th in run D last yr.
week 2 - @ NYJ - Ranked 5th in run D last yr.
week 3 - CAR - Ranked 17th, but still a good D
week 4 - BYE
week 5 - @ BUF - Ranked 7th in run D last yr.
week 6 - the return of RW.

For any rookie RB - playing his first NFL games behind a line with little talent under a new head coach against some of the best Ds in the league...

Brown may have bucketloads of talent, but for the early portion of the yr, the cards are stacked against him. When RW is elligible to return, he will be a welcome sight.
You do make valid points CM but also factor in that Hudson Houck took the Oline coaching gig there this season. The same Houck who just last year took a rag tag group in SD and made them rock solid. Coaching at that position can mean an awful lot.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CharginBrowns » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:15 am

MadScott wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
cooleyhigh wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:When Ricky returns in week 6 he'll be welcomed with open arms after the running game gets shut out for the first 4 games of the yr.

Do you think Brown has no talent, or questions about the rest of the offense?

Well, even with the addition of McDougal, the Oline is still one of the worst in the league. A new system under a new head coach also adds to my concern.

However, the most important reason I say that?
week 1 - DEN - Ranked 4th in run D last yr.
week 2 - @ NYJ - Ranked 5th in run D last yr.
week 3 - CAR - Ranked 17th, but still a good D
week 4 - BYE
week 5 - @ BUF - Ranked 7th in run D last yr.
week 6 - the return of RW.

For any rookie RB - playing his first NFL games behind a line with little talent under a new head coach against some of the best Ds in the league...

Brown may have bucketloads of talent, but for the early portion of the yr, the cards are stacked against him. When RW is elligible to return, he will be a welcome sight.
You do make valid points CM but also factor in that Hudson Houck took the Oline coaching gig there this season. The same Houck who just last year took a rag tag group in SD and made them rock solid. Coaching at that position can mean an awful lot.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=135199
CharginBrowns
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk