Antonio Gates: No contract, No problem - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Antonio Gates: No contract, No problem

Moderator: Football Moderators

Antonio Gates: No contract, No problem

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:29 pm

Source: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8552747

Wild holdouts couldn't drag Gates away from practice
June 10, 2005
By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com

The San Diego Chargers are back at work this weekend, and it's not star quarterback Drew Brees or All-Pro running back LaDainian Tomlinson who draws your attention. It's Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates, and for the most basic of reasons.

He's here.

Simple as that. The guy is the team's only unsigned veteran, yet instead of pulling a Terrell Owens or Javon Walker, he's not only visible -- he's in uniform, participating in every drill and catching everything thrown in his direction.

Owens and Walker have contracts, but each stayed away from minicamps. Gates, meanwhile, is at this weekend's three-day camp and also attended last month's rookie orientation, which included a full-squad workout.

"I want to get better as a player," he said after Friday morning's practice. "There are so many things I need to learn. Obviously, different personalities have different ideas about the way they should go about things, but here's what I ask: Would I get better by sitting out? I don't think so. I understand this is a business, but when the time is right things will happen for me."

Gates doesn't know when that will be. Neither do the Chargers. He hasn't signed a one-year tender of $380,000 because he wants a long-term contract that would make him megabucks. And, frankly, the club wants that deal almost as badly as Gates.

But talks have been going on since the middle of last season, with no settlement in sight. With the team opening training camp in less than two months you have to wonder: What happens to him if no deal is reached by then?

"That remains to be seen," said Gates. "I just know I'm in here every day doing what I can do." And that's what you can't help but notice.

Hey, this is a team whose first draft pick -- linebacker Shawne Merriman -- stayed away from the rookie orientation because he wasn't satisfied with the team's injury protection language. He's not here this weekend, either.

But Antonio Gates is. And last time I checked he hadn't stopped punching the clock.

"At the end of the day," said Gates, "you look at this: When things go right or wrong, did you do everything you could to make it right? And I'd feel good, regardless if something happened or not, that Antonio Gates did all he could do.

"I care about the team concept. At the same time I want to be known as a genuine teammate. That's just me. I want to be known as a guy they can depend on. When you're not here you bring doubt in your teammate's mind, and that's something you never want as a player."

There is no doubt about Gates' dependability or his abilities as a professional football player. Gates, a college basketball standout who joined the Chargers as an undrafted free agent, last year led the club in catches, set an NFL record for tight ends with 13 touchdown receptions and was named to the league's All-Pro team in only his second season.

No, the only question about him is whether he plays this year for $380,000 or for millions. But here's the problem: If he doesn't sign the team's tender by July 29, the opening day for veterans, he can't step onto the field -- even if he wants to. League rules prohibit it. So he becomes a holdout. And if he does sign, he risks playing for a relatively small sum of money when there are millions out there waiting to be collected.

Optimists believe a settlement will be reached because the Chargers have shown a willingness lately to throw around money to keep their playmakers. I cite their signings of Tomlinson, defensive tackle Jamal Williams, wide receiver Keenan McCardell and linebacker Steve Foley as examples. I also mention their payment of $8 million to keep Brees off the free-agent market for another season.

But then you can't help but notice that talks have been going on for months, with little progress, and wonder what that means for the future.

"We're working on negotiations," said general manager A.J. Smith. "It's business, but we're working our way through the process. I'm optimistic that by the first day of training camp we'll have a deal."

And in the meantime, you can find Antonio Gates showing up when he's asked to show up. Notice I didn't say required. I said asked, and there is a difference.

"His being here all the time is typical of him," said Smith. "He's a hard worker and loves his trade. He's said that business is business, and it'll take of itself. So he's working on being the best player he can."

Nice to see this go the other way for once. Gotta love his attitude. Says he just wants to get better and wants to be a team player that his teammates can depend on.

;-D ;-D ;-D
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtryanks12 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:30 pm

he's a class act unlike the other guys who refuse to play unless they make millions more upon the millions they already make.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby GMoney » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:45 pm

this is a very good thing to see.... Football has been geting alot of negative publicity lately and I think things like this should be reported more often.

However Gates is in an enviable position to other young talented players like Javon Walker for example.

Since Gates was an undrafted rookie, he did not get lured into a 5-7 year deal. He simply signed year by year tenders, and when he Blew up the team HAD to try and get him on a long-term deal.

Walker on the other hand signed a 6 year 4 million dollar deal, coming out of college that sounds like alot, but by year 3 and after 1 pro-bowl appearance it is no where near what his pay level should be.

Rookies are desperate for those long term deals after years of being poor students, however it would probably be in most rookies best interests to just sign a 3 year deal and re-evaluate after that.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:49 pm

GMoney wrote:this is a very good thing to see.... Football has been geting alot of negative publicity lately and I think things like this should be reported more often.

However Gates is in an enviable position to other young talented players like Javon Walker for example.

Since Gates was an undrafted rookie, he did not get lured into a 5-7 year deal. He simply signed year by year tenders, and when he Blew up the team HAD to try and get him on a long-term deal.

Walker on the other hand signed a 6 year 4 million dollar deal, coming out of college that sounds like alot, but by year 3 and after 1 pro-bowl appearance it is no where near what his pay level should be.

Rookies are desperate for those long term deals after years of being poor students, however it would probably be in most rookies best interests to just sign a 3 year deal and re-evaluate after that.

They're the ones that signed those 6 year deals. If they don't want to be locked in that long and believe they will be worth more in a few years then by all means don't sign a 6 year deal. If they choose to 'play it safe' and sign more long-term then that's their prerogative, they had every chance to take a shot and sign a shorter deal.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby GMoney » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:56 pm

i agree. im just saying that Gates is in an enviable position.

The lure of the money and the secrity would be VERY difficult for ANYONE coming out of college to resist. I also think that the team that drafted the rookie asking for a 3 year deal would probably look down on that.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby MadScott » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:21 pm

Certainly a rarity in this day and age of "me first" athletics. He'll get his just rewards. ;-D ;-D
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:15 pm

One of the good guys! ;-D

Glad to see he just wants to play football...right now. :-o

Don't want to rain on his parade totally, but let's see what happens in a few years if he keeps up the good play.
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Slingblade » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:23 am

I like to see this. Good to know some of the players out there put football and the fans first instead of money. Class act.
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:14 am

Very good to see. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing a deal get done, however. ;-D
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:32 am

What happens if he gets injured at camp without a contract or insurance?

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk