Lord Of The Rings VS. Star Wars - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Lord Of The Rings VS. Star Wars

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:12 am

Star wars is amazing, episodes I,II, and III are alright, but the original series is the best movie trilogy of all time. LOTR vs SW4-6 give star wars a HUGE edge. LOTR vs SW 1-3 is no question LOTR.

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:14 am

"Death Wish" is a better series.

/sarcasm off
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:48 am

Star Wars in a landslide.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:45 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:Oh, also LotR has these:
[img]http://www.creativescreenwriting.com/cs ... ts%20(300w).jpg[/img]

Oliphaunts/Mumakil >>> AT-ATs.

man you are obesessed with those things !+) !+)

i swear i remember you posting pics of them before :-? :-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:58 pm

You have to consider the fact that Star Wars is the reason that movies like Lord of the Rings even exist.... There were no epic fantasy movies like that before Star Wars.... The idea of plopping the viewer smack dab into the middle of an entirely fictional world, and making it 100% believable and entertaining all at the same time had never been done before... I mean, those of us who grew up in the 1980's, and even moreso the kids now-a-days that were raised on computer graphics and video games don't understand what a complete leap forward Star Wars was over anything and everything that had ever been attempted before.... Can you imagine sitting in a movie theater for the first time, having never experienced a computer graphic or truly kick ass special effect in your life when that Star Wars theme song kicks in, and the Imperial Cruiser starts crawling across the screen? It would be mind boggling.... You would walk out of the movie saying, "How in the hell did those guys do that?"

And Lucas did ALL of that without the help of a single computer.... He did it all with models, and camera tricks... And it still holds up today....

Now-a-days, any jackass with a decent computer and video editing software can crank out something half decent, but back then, George Lucas was inventing the way special effects would be done for the next 20 years on the fly....

There is no comparison.... LOTR is a kick ass movie, but Star Wars was a revolution.... Star Wars changed the way we think about movies.... It changed the way movies were made.... It's like comparing the Beatles to the Backstreet Boys....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:02 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:You have to consider the fact that Star Wars is the reason that movies like Lord of the Rings even exist.... There were no epic fantasy movies like that before Star Wars.... The idea of plopping the viewer smack dab into the middle of an entirely fictional world, and making it 100% believable and entertaining all at the same time had never been done before... I mean, those of us who grew up in the 1980's, and even moreso the kids now-a-days that were raised on computer graphics and video games don't understand what a complete leap forward Star Wars was over anything and everything that had ever been attempted before.... Can you imagine sitting in a movie theater for the first time, having never experienced a computer graphic or truly kick ass special effect in your life when that Star Wars theme song kicks in, and the Imperial Cruiser starts crawling across the screen? It would be mind boggling.... You would walk out of the movie saying, "How in the hell did those guys do that?"

And Lucas did ALL of that without the help of a single computer.... He did it all with models, and camera tricks... And it still holds up today....

Now-a-days, any jackass with a decent computer and video editing software can crank out something half decent, but back then, George Lucas was inventing the way special effects would be done for the next 20 years on the fly....

There is no comparison.... LOTR is a kick ass movie, but Star Wars was a revolution.... Star Wars changed the way we think about movies.... It changed the way movies were made.... It's like comparing the Beatles to the Backstreet Boys....

all special effects aside...which series do you think had better acting?
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:11 pm

Well, the acting in LOTR was probably better.... LOTR had a better screenplay, as well, but here is what you have to consider there.... LOTR is an adaptation of one of the best series of books written in the past 200 years.... Maybe one of the most imaginative series of books EVER written... Peter Jackson was starting with an unbelievably well-written piece of material, and hitting it up with state of the art computer graphics.... Star Wars, on the other hand was an original work.... George Lucas dreamed it up on his own, and invented the necessary special effects to make his dream come to life....

Now if you want to get into a conversation about who is the bigger stud between George Lucas and J.R.R. Tolkien, I've got no problem telling you that Lucas hasn't got anything on him.... Tolkien is probably one of the most creative human beings to ever walk the face of the planet....

But if you're talking about George Lucas v. Peter Jackson, I have to say that Peter Jackson, although brilliant in his own right, is not fit to carry Lucas' pocket protector....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:39 pm

LOTR is my pick. I never really got into the whole Star Wars thing. But LOTR had me hooked like non other ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:39 pm

LOTR is my pick. I never really got into the whole Star Wars thing. But LOTR had me hooked like non other ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IRON CHEF » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:25 pm

I'm with Plindsey here, even if one ignores the enormous contributions that Star Wars had to the special effects and entire movie industry as a whole, they are still very entertaining and quiality movies in their own right.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk