Lord Of The Rings VS. Star Wars - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Lord Of The Rings VS. Star Wars

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:26 pm

IRON CHEF wrote:I'm with Plindsey here, even if one ignores the enormous contributions that Star Wars had to the special effects and entire movie industry as a whole, they are still very entertaining and quiality movies in their own right.

but neither series equals the greatness of back to the future, right ? :-) :-D ;-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby IRON CHEF » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:28 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:
IRON CHEF wrote:I'm with Plindsey here, even if one ignores the enormous contributions that Star Wars had to the special effects and entire movie industry as a whole, they are still very entertaining and quiality movies in their own right.

but neither series equals the greatness of back to the future, right ? :-) :-D ;-)

Oh, no question. Don't even try to convince me that any movie can beat BTTF. ;-D

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:12 pm

Okay, we are having a problem getting a clear answer on which is better, so let's break it down to the leads. Who's a bigger pantywaist, Luke or Frodo? Who's hotter, Leia or A@*&*^wyn (can't pronounce it let alone spell it) and best second fiddle, Han or Samwise, best wise man, Obi Wan or Gandalf?

Frodo is gayer.
Leia produce many fantasies back then, but as I've gotten older I realize Liv Tyler is way hotter.
Han smokes Samwise. Samwise "smokes" Frodo.
Obi Wan is the superior wiseman / badass with the mystical hooha and the sabering and the mindtricking...
Star Wars wins hands down.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:36 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:Okay, we are having a problem getting a clear answer on which is better, so let's break it down to the leads. Who's a bigger pantywaist, Luke or Frodo? Who's hotter, Leia or A@*&*^wyn (can't pronounce it let alone spell it) and best second fiddle, Han or Samwise, best wise man, Obi Wan or Gandalf?

Frodo is gayer.
Leia produce many fantasies back then, but as I've gotten older I realize Liv Tyler is way hotter.
Han smokes Samwise. Samwise "smokes" Frodo.
Obi Wan is the superior wiseman / badass with the mystical hooha and the sabering and the mindtricking...
Star Wars wins hands down.

ahha funny post. frodo and sam wise definitely were a little too close. i always clowned on them while watching these movies.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby goleafsgo96 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:18 pm

Star Wars is just a cheesy soap opera with great special effects. If you look for all the ingredients a great movie needs, Star wars isnt great. Course some people dont need a good dialogue, or story, or acting.

LOTR wins hands down for moi, even though i hated Frodo.

Gandalf pwns.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:24 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:Star Wars iself is better than all the LOTR movies combined. As a series, I would give the edge to LOTR, but as a stand alone movie, Star Wars made movies what they are today...mega-million blockbusters. They paved the way for trilogies such as the Matrix and LOTR, much like the Beatles opened the doors for bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

LOTR was a book LONG before Star Wars ever saw the big screen ;-) People wanted to make it into a movie, but the technology was never good enough until recently. I'm glad they waited, it probably made the movie better.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby terpfan » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:30 pm

As far as originality goes, Star Wars is certainly ahead of LOTR. It was, as everyone says, a ground breaking revolution of a trilogy. But as for actual execution, I would give the nod to the Lord of the Rings. It depends on how you want to compare them. Star Wars made a more significant contribution to film, but LOTR, in my opinion, was done much better.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:40 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:Well, the acting in LOTR was probably better.... LOTR had a better screenplay, as well, but here is what you have to consider there.... LOTR is an adaptation of one of the best series of books written in the past 200 years.... Maybe one of the most imaginative series of books EVER written... Peter Jackson was starting with an unbelievably well-written piece of material, and hitting it up with state of the art computer graphics.... Star Wars, on the other hand was an original work.... George Lucas dreamed it up on his own, and invented the necessary special effects to make his dream come to life....

Now if you want to get into a conversation about who is the bigger stud between George Lucas and J.R.R. Tolkien, I've got no problem telling you that Lucas hasn't got anything on him.... Tolkien is probably one of the most creative human beings to ever walk the face of the planet....

But if you're talking about George Lucas v. Peter Jackson, I have to say that Peter Jackson, although brilliant in his own right, is not fit to carry Lucas' pocket protector....

Uggh, Lucas isn't that great of a director:
Star Wars Ep 4: A New Hope- Good.
American Graffiti- Ok.
Star Wars Ep1 : Phantom Menace- Utter garbage
Star Wars Ep 2: Attack O the Clones- Also equally garbage
Star Wars Ep 3: Revenge of the Sith- Good.
2 Goods, 1 ok, 2 garbage doesn't make you some sort of great director. I'm not going to say Jackson is either, but he hasn't been directing as long. Though I will say both are good. Though I hated how dumb they made Frodo and Sam look at the end of RotK talking about strawberries and cream and other stuff like that. Your friends are getting owned at the Black Gate and you are fantasizing about food. Friggin hobbits. :-b
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:18 am

34=Sweetness wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Well, the acting in LOTR was probably better.... LOTR had a better screenplay, as well, but here is what you have to consider there.... LOTR is an adaptation of one of the best series of books written in the past 200 years.... Maybe one of the most imaginative series of books EVER written... Peter Jackson was starting with an unbelievably well-written piece of material, and hitting it up with state of the art computer graphics.... Star Wars, on the other hand was an original work.... George Lucas dreamed it up on his own, and invented the necessary special effects to make his dream come to life....

Now if you want to get into a conversation about who is the bigger stud between George Lucas and J.R.R. Tolkien, I've got no problem telling you that Lucas hasn't got anything on him.... Tolkien is probably one of the most creative human beings to ever walk the face of the planet....

But if you're talking about George Lucas v. Peter Jackson, I have to say that Peter Jackson, although brilliant in his own right, is not fit to carry Lucas' pocket protector....

American Graffiti- Ok.
2 Goods, 1 ok, 2 garbage doesn't make you some sort of great director. I'm not going to say Jackson is either, but he hasn't been directing as long. Though I will say both are good. Though I hated how dumb they made Frodo and Sam look at the end of RotK talking about strawberries and cream and other stuff like that. Your friends are getting owned at the Black Gate and you are fantasizing about food. Friggin hobbits. :-b

OK, you left off:

Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

AND

All the Indiana Jones movies....

Now, Peter Jackson has got LOTR and a bunch of B-movie horror flicks to his credit.... Honestly, there is no comparison....

I mean have you ever seen "Braindead" and "Bad Taste?"

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:07 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:

American Graffiti- Ok.

OK, you left off:

Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

AND

All the Indiana Jones movies....

Now, Peter Jackson has got LOTR and a bunch of B-movie horror flicks to his credit.... Honestly, there is no comparison....

I mean have you ever seen "Braindead" and "Bad Taste?"

Two different directors did ESB and RotJ, and Steven Spielberg did all the Indiana Jones movies, not Lucas. Lucas was the screenwriter for all 3 I believe though. Never seen the b-movies, but they can't be much worse than Episode 1 and 2, right? :-D Many people think Lucas directed 5 and 6, and all 3 Indiana Jones movies, but they would be wrong.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk