Boy Scout found - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boy Scout found

Moderator: Football Moderators

Boy Scout found

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:45 pm

KAMAS, Utah (June 21) - An 11-year-old boy who vanished from a Boy Scout camp has been found alive after an intensive four-day search, an official said Tuesday.

Brennan Hawkins was found just before noon near Lily Lake, about five miles northeast of the camp in the Uinta Mountains where he was last seen Friday, said Kay Godfrey, director of public relations for the Great Salt Lake Council.

''He has been found, he is alive, and he's in pretty good shape for an 11-year-old boy,'' Godfrey told The Associated Press.

Calling the rescue ''a modern-day miracle,'' Godfrey said a medical helicopter could not reach him where he was, so it was trying to find a nearby location to land. Authorities planned to take him to a hospital to be checked.

There was no immediate confirmation from the Summit County sheriff's office. Sheriff Dave Edmunds was believed to be at the lake, and was expected to hold a news conference later Tuesday.

Edmunds had said the boy would have been able to survive because the nights continue to be warm, with temperatures falling only into the 50s. The area is about 100 miles northeast of Salt Lake City.

But rescuers had feared that he could have fallen in a river that was swollen by heavy snow melt. The East Fork of the Bear River is within 100 yards of the road where the boy was believed to have been walking.

Deep-water rescue teams had searched the river while other rescuers and volunteers combed the rugged area around it.

On Monday, rescuers found three socks and a sandal in the river, but none belonged to Brennan. The boys' parents also sifted fruitlessly through enough clothing collected from the mountains to fill the bed of a pickup.

Brennan carried no food or water, and his family had said he did not have a good sense of direction.

Among the volunteers was Kevin Bardsley, whose 12-year-old son, Garrett, vanished last August while camping at a nearby lake. He was never found despite a weeklong search.

''When we came off this mountain in the winter, my friends and I decided right then, if anyone came missing, we'd be there immediately,'' said Bardsley.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050619032109990002&ncid=NWS00010000000001

Unbelievable.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ChyBoy » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:00 pm

I am glad to here he is alright.
ChyBoy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A2theIzzo » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:06 pm

Thats pretty uhh... :~( :-P :-t
A2theIzzo
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:06 pm

I'm surprised he lasted that long...I'm glad he's alright ;-D
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:20 pm

That is great that he was alright. ;-D
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby catch22 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:27 pm

Doesnt give you much info.....how did he vanish? What did he do for food?
"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is.......... it's you."

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!
catch22
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:46 pm

Aww, and here I thought a mountain lion had dragged him off. :-b
Guess its good they found him. But he doesn't have a good sense of direction? Didn't learn much in the boy scouts then, did we?
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:54 pm

Good to hear he's alright. That's a pretty amazing story.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:22 pm

Great to hear is ok. Got a chuckle out of the He doesnt have a very good sense of direction........obviously :-b

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Homeless » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:47 pm

Saw him on TV he looks to be in good shape. Good news ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Next

Return to General Talk