Propane tanks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Propane tanks

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby hastur » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:31 am

34=Sweetness wrote:
hastur wrote:After a while of trying it and testing, you'll be able to lift it and get a general idea of how much is left.

I have now typed this sentence 7 or 8 times trying to figure out how to say this without seeming snooty or self-rightous, so you'll forgive me if it seems self involved :-o :

True BBQ=SMOKE+TIME. Buy a chimney(metal cylinder with wooden handle) and a basic non-gas grill. Go to your local bookstore and buy "The Barbecue Bible" by Steven Raichlen.

Its much more involved and more time, but for the best BBQ you've ever had, this is the only way to go.

Page 242.....Beer can chicken. WOW! just WOW!

That guy has a cooking show on PBS, and he uses a big shiny propane grill. What a hypocrite. :-D

I was suggesting that title because he has great advice on how to BBQ, but I didn't know he had a show, and I didn't know he used a propane grill on said show. Your right, hypocrite city! In the book, he clearly indicates a wood/charcoal grill is best....
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:36 am

I'm moving into a new home the end of July and I'll be getting a new fancy gas grill for the occasion. Grilling by the pool is so gonna rule!!
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:38 am

hastur wrote:After a while of trying it and testing, you'll be able to lift it and get a general idea of how much is left.

I have now typed this sentence 7 or 8 times trying to figure out how to say this without seeming snooty or self-rightous, so you'll forgive me if it seems self involved :-o :

True BBQ=SMOKE+TIME. Buy a chimney(metal cylinder with wooden handle) and a basic non-gas grill. Go to your local bookstore and buy "The Barbecue Bible" by Steven Raichlen.

Its much more involved and more time, but for the best BBQ you've ever had, this is the only way to go.

Thanks for the heads up on the book, i will have to go and pick it up. I do also have a charcoal grill which i usually only use on the weekends. Now that i dont work anymore i have some more time and will have to start using it more. I have had beer can chicken before. ;-D ;-D . The lifting idea is what the guy at the hardware store just suggested to me also, he said it would give you as good or a better reading than after market meters, also tried to sell me a $2000 grill though. Ended up buying another tank for back up too.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Horizons » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:43 pm

The extra tank idea is the way to go, I also have those cheap stick-on gauges you pour water on to check the propane level, they work pretty well and cost next to nothing...
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:03 pm

i also use the extra tank method. you just have to remember to fill the empty tank when you switch them. i barbeque enough that i run out pretty frequently, and an extra tank isnt that expensive.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:16 pm

hastur wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:

That guy has a cooking show on PBS, and he uses a big shiny propane grill. What a hypocrite. :-D

I was suggesting that title because he has great advice on how to BBQ, but I didn't know he had a show, and I didn't know he used a propane grill on said show. Your right, hypocrite city! In the book, he clearly indicates a wood/charcoal grill is best....

If you live in warm weather that isn't too inclement, charcoal is fine, but its a hassle to light in say, a Wisconsin winter. Gas is just easier and more convenient. Not as flavorful, but that can be offsetted by putting wood chips in a foil tray in the back to create some smoke. The bad thing about charcoal is that if you use it enough with the lid on, the soot and such builds up on the lid and impart an off flavor.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to General Talk