Help setting yahoo categories - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Help setting yahoo categories

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help setting yahoo categories

Postby perhaps40t » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:45 am

Thanks in advance.

I am commishing for the first time. It's a H2H free league on Yahoo and I need to make sure these settings will work correctly and just seem ok in general.

Here are the settings:

Max Teams: 20

Scoring Type: Head-to-Head

Start Scoring on: Week 1

Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports

Max Moves: No maximum

Max Trades: No maximum

Trade Reject Time: 2

Trade End Date: November 25, 2005

Trade Review: League Votes

Waiver Time: 2 days

Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules

Playoffs: Week 15, 16 and 17 (6 teams)

Roster Positions: QB, QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, RB, TE, W/T, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Stat Categories: Completions (1)
Passing Yards (1 yards per point)
Passing Touchdowns (1)
Interceptions (-1)
Rushing Yards (1 yards per point)
Rushing Touchdowns (1)
Reception Yards (1 yards per point)
Reception Touchdowns (1)
Return Touchdowns (1)
2-Point Conversions (1)
Fumbles (-1)
Offensive Fumble Return TD (1)
Field Goals 0-19 Yards (1)
Field Goals 20-29 Yards (1)
Field Goals 30-39 Yards (1)
Field Goals 40-49 Yards (1)
Field Goals 50+ Yards (1)
Point After Attempt Made (1)
Sack (1)
Interception (1)
Fumble Recovery (1)
Touchdown (1)
Safety (1)
Points Allowed 0 points (0)
Points Allowed 1-6 points (-1)
Points Allowed 7-13 points (-7)
Points Allowed 14-20 points (-14)
Points Allowed 21-27 points (-21)
Points Allowed 28-34 points (-28)
Points Allowed 35+ points (-35)

Fractional Points: No

Negative Points: No

We currently have 13 teams, should I trim the rosters a bit? What max number of teams do you suggest?

Thanks again.
perhaps40t
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Evolution » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:41 am

I'm a fan of yardage leagues, but even I can't condone 1 yard equalling 1 TD......

That would never work. You're making QBs worth a zillion and RBs almost worthless....

Example: Peyton Manning would have scored almost 5000 points in this system last season. Culpepper would have scored almost 500 more.

The top RB in most formats last year would have been Shaun Alexander. He scored just under 1900 points in this system.

I would suggest, especially with a 20 team league, that you get rid of A LOT of the starting positions, with no more than 2 players per position since there aren't even enough NFL starters to go around at RB and QB for example.

Also, drop the completions from the options, they just complicate things.

I would suggest for a scoring system.

Passing Yards (25 yards per poing)
Passing TDs (4)
INTs (-2)
Rushing Yards (10 yards per point)
Rushing TDs (6)
Reception Yards (10 yards per point)
Reception TDs (6)
Return TDs (6)
2 point Conversions (2)
Fumbles (-2)
Field Goals 0-39 yards (3)
Field Goals 40-49 yards (4)
Field Goals 50+ yards (5)
Field Goal Missed (-1)
PAT Made (1)
PAT Missed (-1)

I would also enable fractional points, and use the default settings for defense.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby perhaps40t » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:33 pm

It's H2H so I don't think a touchdown is equal to a yard, they are seperate categories. It seems like most people play rotisserie (sp?) so I'm not sure if I have this right for H2H with teams competing for categories as wins and losses towards their overall record. Let me know if I am mistaken.

You are right on cutting the starting positions, thanks.
perhaps40t
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby perhaps40t » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:42 pm

I was thinking, and I could be wrong, that the matchup screen would end up looking somthing like this:

TD....Yards....Ints....

And so on...
perhaps40t
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby catch22 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:48 pm

I would certainly change the scoring as suggested by Evolution. Thats crazy to have 1 point per yard and 1 point per touchdown. You cant start 2qb and 3rb's with a 20 team league. Several teams would have to start backup QB's and RB's. Take Evolutions advice, and cut the rosters down.
"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is.......... it's you."

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!
catch22
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby perhaps40t » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:54 pm

catch22 wrote:I would certainly change the scoring as suggested by Evolution. Thats crazy to have 1 point per yard and 1 point per touchdown. You cant start 2qb and 3rb's with a 20 team league. Several teams would have to start backup QB's and RB's. Take Evolutions advice, and cut the rosters down.

It's not rotisserie, it's H2H. I don't think it matters how many points you get for yards versus TD's. I think they are seperate categories- I think it's like baseball or basketball H2H, or am I wrong about that?

I've already limited the teams to 16, we have 14 right now, I might limit it to 14. I plan on cutting the roster stats onw that we have so many teams.

Thanks again, I think I might be confused about how the categories will show in the H2H matchups. I also know most people play rotisserie instead of H2H, so maybe that is where the confusion is. Please help clear this up for me :)
perhaps40t
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby socceryank » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:00 pm

Yes, you appear to be very confused, but as a rookie commish that's cool; that's why we're here to help.

The categories you mention would be an example of Roto. In H2H football, you accumulate total points based on how your players perform, but you can make 1 position too valuable based on the scoring system. Your seem to be trying to make your system similar to baseball, when it needs to more reflect a football game.

Used the scoring system above; we have used almost the same identical system for 4 years. Trust us, this is the way to go. And you definitely need to cut back on positions; we start 1 QB, 2WR, 2RB, 1 flex, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 def.
socceryank
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby perhaps40t » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:50 pm

socceryank wrote:The categories you mention would be an example of Roto. In H2H football, you accumulate total points based on how your players perform, but you can make 1 position too valuable based on the scoring system. Your seem to be trying to make your system similar to baseball, when it needs to more reflect a football game.

So you are saying that there is no way to set the league to win or lose each category? The only way they can be set is as a total of points from the categories? In H2H baseball and basketball we played about 9 categories and you either won or lost each category. These wins and losses became your record. Dominate teams usually went 6-3 or 7-2 in a week.

Is there a way to make Yahoo's fantasy football system work like this example?

Thanks again, I really need to have all of this figured out by the start of the season, lol. But asap would be better :)
perhaps40t
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby perhaps40t » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:54 pm

thoughts? Thanks again.
perhaps40t
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Manja » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:07 pm

Is there a way to make Yahoo's fantasy football system work like this example?

No, there isn't. The way the head to head works is that it pools all of the points your players score, and then compares it with the pool of points from another team. You only lose or win once a week in football head to head.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk