Steven Jackson - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Steven Jackson

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby IRON CHEF » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:10 am

Talent wise there is nothing holding him back from being a top RB, but to put it simply the pass-heavy offense and the presence of chiseled veteran Faulk should hamper SJ's abilities to put up the top numbers he is capable of.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:55 am

Some people refuse to acknowledge Faulk...is 32. Jackson is 21.

Faulk has close to 3500 touches. We saw last year he's starting to wear down. His number of carries from 1998 on: 324, 253, 253, 260, 212, 209, 195. This guy had an amazing career. He was one of the top RBs in the league for several years. But he's not that guy anymore. Even HE knows it. He's accepted his role as Jackson's mentor, and will try to pass on everything he's learned to the kid. Faulk's main value this year will come from his skills in the receiving department. You know Martz by now; I wouldn't be surprised if he splits Marshall out wide one-on-one with some linebackers.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby VHawk15 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:04 am

daullaz wrote:Some people refuse to acknowledge Faulk...is 32. Jackson is 21.

Yep, and one of those people is Mike Martz.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby UNDEFEATED » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:07 am

Faulk is going to turn into a WR. He is still a rb but will be utilized as a WR. Not a 3rd down rb. An everydown rb/wr. With Steven Jax in the backfield at the same time.

New position that Martz is going to invent.

rb converted into wr...at 32 years old

You heard it here first.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Daddymike59 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:06 am

The News
The Bucs are planning to use Michael Pittman more at wide receiver this year.

Our Take
Interesting. Pittman says he will be lined out wide while Cadillac Williams is in the backfield. It makes sense - Pittman is an average runner, but an exceptional pass-catcher on a team that needs help. His 41 reception total last season was the lowest since 1999.

Just on the same note as Faulk

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Santacruzer » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:32 am

I was one of those "unlucky" :-b Owners last year that grabbed Duce Staley last year. I was reasoning that the "Bus" HAD to be done. People have been saying it for a few years. I thought Duce was a bargain in the 4th round, allowing me to pick up some premiere talent in other positions in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I don't need to tell people how that worked out.

Don't dismiss Faulk just yet. He may be too old to be the feature-every down back, but he is not too old to still get in there and take a significant amount of time from SJax.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dhp4eva » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:43 pm

jackson has so much potential...faulk is hogging it
dhp4eva
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby bigGAME101 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:55 pm

Ripcord wrote:so what round would you say he should be drafted in. like the early third or late 2nd

The answer to this question is relatively simple. You see, the case is not whether Jackson has the ability to fluorish and be a capable no.2 RB (and in time perhaps a good no.1), but rather whether that opportunity will be there. If Jackson were soely featured on his own, then yes, a mid-late second round pick is reasonable. I say this because while he has the potential, we really haven't seen him perform for an entire season on his own, and thus there is reason to believe that maybe he is not the RB we all expect him to be.

The latter is not the situation however, and for a unknown period of time we will have to see him and Faulk share some touches. Because of this, he should really drop somewhere into the late fourth round. Even more importantly, Faulk's time, as sad as it is to say, has almost come. If you were drafting Jackson without Faulk's presence, you could take him in the second and no one would really question you too much. But because it will take a year or two for Jackson to be "the man" all by himself, he should be had no earlier than the mid 3rd IMO. If you can snag him there, then you will have stolen a stud of the future...but i wouldn't gamble earlier than that right now.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby proKrastinate » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:06 pm

Santacruzer wrote:I was one of those "unlucky" :-b Owners last year that grabbed Duce Staley last year. I was reasoning that the "Bus" HAD to be done. People have been saying it for a few years. I thought Duce was a bargain in the 4th round, allowing me to pick up some premiere talent in other positions in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I don't need to tell people how that worked out.

Don't dismiss Faulk just yet. He may be too old to be the feature-every down back, but he is not too old to still get in there and take a significant amount of time from SJax.

Wasn't Duce on the way to a 1600 yd season before he got injured? Can't remember exactly
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby TTTBone » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:30 pm

As FFootball guys, we all would like to see Faulk get out of the way, and see exactly what S. Jackson has. But in the real world, Faulk is still a viable offensive weapon. Great hands and vision, and his experience in the offense shouldn't be discounted.
For those drafting Jackson early in a redraft, I wish you luck. For those of you in a keeper, hang-tight.
Sure, Martz could easily be considered a coaching idiot, but Faulk still has enough skills that Martz would truly be an idiot not to utilize him.
RBBC this year, say 70/30 Jackson to Faulk rushing, and 70/30 Faulk to Jackson in receptions.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk