Fred Taylor comes clean...doesn't look good - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fred Taylor comes clean...doesn't look good

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fred Taylor comes clean...doesn't look good

Postby bigGAME101 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:38 pm

check out the link below gentlemen...finally we hear what we have been waiting to find out for weeks now:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/s ... 7920.shtml

Taylor opens up on WZNZ show
By JEFF ELLIOTT, The Times-Union

Admitting publicly for the first time what many had already assumed to be the case, Fred Taylor revealed on Thursday that the knee injury he suffered in the Green Bay game last December was more serious than what was stated and that the Jaguars kept it under wraps.

Speaking to co-host Pete Prisco on The Frank Frangie Show (WZNZ, 1460 AM), Taylor offered candid comments about that injury and a groin injury that caused him to miss the final 14 games the 2001 season.

"It was a lot worse than initially thought," Taylor said about last year's knee injury. "How that came about, I don't know. It definitely was. They kept that under wraps.

"I had an MCL [medial collateral ligament] and PCL [posterior cruciate ligament] combo [tear]. The thing that I heard was that it was just under the severity of an ACL [anterior cruciate ligament] -- not as bad, but just below it because of the combination of the two. And that's what people failed to understand. Every time people saw me, they were thinking, 'Why are you still on crutches? Why aren't you walking correctly now?'

"But that was only three weeks out of my surgery and I had a full cut surgery instead of a scope. Everybody thought I had [arthroscopic surgery], but it was worse than that."

Prisco asked Taylor if he felt that because of last year's injury and the 2001 groin injury, that "... you've kind of been hung out to dry on the injuries. Why is that?"

Taylor cast part of the blame on the media.

"First of all, I guess it's the market we're in," he said. "So I guess once the media gets their hands on it, and chop it up on how they want to, and serve it how they want to, I'm kind of left out to dry. Other than that, it just happens.

"I'm not the type of guy that's going to rebel, rebel against the organization or go express all of my feelings to the media and start something that maybe we can handle right here in house. But you know, it only can happen so many times until a person gets enough.

"This is actually the second time that it's happened in my career, where I'm getting called out for being a softy, this and that. 'It's an injury where he should return in this amount of time.' And then, here I am, not looking like I'm working hard."

Taylor said he was encouraged by his rehabilitation and that he expected to be ready to play in time for the season opener Sept. 11 against Seattle. He also said he didn't see the necessity to play in any of the Jaguars' four preseason games.

"Even from the first couple years, I felt we had too many preseason games to play in," he said. "I don't even think I really need to play in one, even though I wouldn't mind. My goal is to be ready for the Seahawks on the 11th."
------------------------------------------
I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but I'm staying away from Freddy for good now.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dhp4eva » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:40 pm

i like ol' fragile fred, hes always been a nice guy, i think. i hope he goes out there and does well this year
dhp4eva
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:43 pm

Very interesting read there..Hopefull he will be ok for the opener..
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:30 pm

i have both Henry and Toefield in a dynasty league so this potentially help me there, but I do hate to root for a guy to get injured.

That injury is pretty serious, anyone know of any other players who had that and how long it took them to get back?
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:35 pm

It actually sounds a bit more encouraging than before. At least now we know it was serious and it will take a bit longer, as opposed to just thinking he's a wuss or broken down to the point that he can't bounce back from a scope. I'm still not gonna draft him though...
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby nebbie2004 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:42 pm

KFFL.com wrote:Taylor Speaks on His Injury

Jeff Elliott, of the Florida Times-Union, reports Jacksonville Jaguars RB Fred Taylor was interviewed on radio station WZNZ, 1460 AM Thursday, June 23. Taylor revealed that the knee injury he suffered in the Green Bay game last December was more serious than what was stated and that the Jaguars kept it under wraps. "It was a lot worse than initially thought," Taylor said about last year's knee injury. "How that came about, I don't know. It definitely was. They kept that under wraps. "I had an MCL and PCL combo [tear]. The thing that I heard was that it was just under the severity of an ACL, not as bad, but just below it because of the combination of the two. And that's what people failed to understand. Every time people saw me, they were thinking, 'Why are you still on crutches? Why aren't you walking correctly now?'

Taylor said he was encouraged by his rehabilitation and that he expected to be ready to play in time for the season opener Sept. 11 against Seattle. He also said he didn't see the necessity to play in any of the Jaguars' four preseason games.
nebbie2004 Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:52 pm

I had heard he was running on the sidelines though. Keep in mind the season is nearly 3 months away. I wouldnt be surprised if he started week 1.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pete123444 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:51 pm

portisfan24 wrote:.... the season is nearly 3 months away...

man, do you have to be so cruel?
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby MadScott » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:56 pm

Flux wrote:i have both Henry and Toefield in a dynasty league so this potentially help me there, but I do hate to root for a guy to get injured.

That injury is pretty serious, anyone know of any other players who had that and how long it took them to get back?
I can't think of any guys that have had that combo. Mentioning it next to an ACL tear sends a chill through the spine but even that surgery/recovery isn't what it used to be. My guess is that he's good to go by the opener.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gatorman1122 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:10 pm

So will Toefield be the starter if Taylor won't make it for the start of the season (especially since Greg Jones is now a fullback :-t )?
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk