Computer question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Computer question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Computer question

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:36 am

OK i dont know much about computers lets start off by stating that. I turn on my computer today and there are lines going across my screen and the color scheme is completly out of wack. Ill explain the color as best i can. The screen is really dark, but if i look at the emotions the helmets on the little dudes are almost flourescent. Also about every inch or so on my screen three is a dark gray line going horizontally from one side to the other. Could this be my graphics card? Anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Any help would be greatly apprecitated.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PackerAttack84 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:44 am

My guess would be the monitor, we had stuff sort of like that going on and then one day our monitor just went pitch black, we got a new monitor and it hasn't happened since then. I'm positive, but that'd be my best guess.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:59 am

Its not the monitor, i hooked up another monitor that i have and it did the same thing.

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Horizons » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:08 am

Well, if it isn't the monitor, then the problem is either the graphics card or the os. I'm guessing the vidcard isn't rendering correctly.
Head to your local computer shop, get two BFG 6800 ultra's, sli them together and enjoy... ;-)

On a serious note, I've never experienced an API error that would cause the problem you 're describing. Good luck with that and let us know what the cause was when it's cured.
Don't give up the ship...........sell it!!
Horizons
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 12)
Location: Somewhere on the "Trail of Tears" between the tube and GameCenter

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:34 am

my guess would also be the video card. if you arent into gaming or anything, they are pretty cheap to get a basic one.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lushcrush » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:41 am

Sounds like a video card ...
To test even more -
1. Borrow a known good card from a friend and swap it out. That would be what I would do.
2. If it's integrated, download the correct chipset driver for video. See if that fixes anything. If it doesn't, disable/ignore the integrated video and pick up a nice AGP card if you have the AGP slot.
3. You sure you don't have a big subwoofer pushed up next to the monitor? I haven't seen a big magnet cause what you're talking about, but I guess it could happen.
Good luck ... ;-D
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:22 am

No subwoofer near the computer. I guess i will have to purchase a new graphics card and see.

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Guttpuppy » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:31 am

Try Control Panel / Display / Settings... there is a troubleshooting option in there somewhere. It may not help but worth a try.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:23 pm

It was the video card. I swapped the card with another card from an old computer and it solved the problem. Now i just have to go buy another card to replace the old one that i have in here now. Thanks for all your help guys. ;-D

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby mutantseabass » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:25 pm

Can anyone recommend a decent AGP card? I dont do any gaming at all, but would like to have some kind of decent graphics. Also what do you think i would have to spend on that?

mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk