All Over the Board: Muhsin Muhammad - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

All Over the Board: Muhsin Muhammad

Moderator: Football Moderators

All Over the Board: Muhsin Muhammad

Postby daullaz » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:38 pm

I know most casual fans will be high on Muhammad after his amazing 2004, especially the ones that were on-board last year. But most of the cafe it seems has him barely sneaking into the top 20. What is your take of him?

I think he won't sniff top 20 numbers this year. He's 32, so it's not like he's an up-and-coming stud who is starting to put it all together. He's moving to Chicago, which hasn't had a fantasy relevant WR in a few years. He'll be trying to catch passes from young Rex Grossman instead of veteran Jake Delhomme. Before last year, he had close to 850 receiving yards and three TDs each of the past two years. That's David Givens, Antonio Bryant, or Johnnie Morton numbers. I think this season Muhammad returns to being a fantasy backup. Kudos to whoever had him last year, but don't expect anything close to a repeat.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:53 pm

Its interesting - that was my original take on him too this spring. Then I started taking a closer look at the Bears. Im not extremely high on Muhammed now, but Ive been able to get him as a #3 in mocks - and to me - he's a fine #3 to have because of his upside as a #3 - if he does produce anything close to last yr you have a steal of the draft type pick. Say he regresses though - I can still see 1200 and 8 - thats 200 fewer yds and half the TDs he scored last yr - and thats an awesome #3.

The Bears are definitely gonna suprise some people this yr. Grossman is a gamer, and I've heard some reports of him establishing a good connection with Muhammad already this summer.

A good Oline, a good running game, an X-factor QB, where have I heard this before? :-?

Im just playin Devils Advocate here, but yeah, I love grabbing Mush as my #3 right now.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:03 pm

I think he's a bit underated, but not extremely underated. He was statistically the best fantasy WR in all of the NFL last year, with no real threat opposite him to take the heat off. The Panthers' running game wasn't stellar either with both Foster and Davis injured.

He has to be doing something right. You don't accidentally fall into those kind of numbers. But yeah, he's a good #3 WR, but I don't know if I'd want to count on him starting every week.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:15 pm

Watch Out. I really believe the NFC North is up for grabs today. Everyone is high on the Vikings; saying the D is a contender, Culpepper will perform at the same level (or close to), and Michael Bennett is back (well he was never here to begin with).

How can you say Culpepper will not struggle without Moss? Moss alleviated pressure off the whole offense. Defenses had double, triple , zones all to prevent Moss. This year teams can prepare to shut down Culpepper. They have no real #1 WR. Remember the best CB and coverage S were usually assigned to Moss. Their offense will not be in the top 15, guaranteed.

Their D sure looks good on paper. Their D line is young and explosive, led by the Williams duo. The secondary is probably the 3rd best, behind Baltimores and the Iggles, on paper.
But the problem is that they have great #2 CBs. Sure they will have success, but dont expect Fred Smoot to perform as well as he did in Washington, behind the Champ and Shawn Springs. Their LBs are still very weak, and the departure of C. Claiborne won't help. Sure N. Harris and S. Cowart have entered the mix, but they are still very weak at this department. C. Chavous benefited the most from their opponents playing from behind. In previous years their offense scored early and often. Teams began passing and abadoning the running game.

I am just saying the Minnesota hype is premature.

Back to the topic, the Muhsin Muhammed is a great #3 on a FF team. Heck 800 yards and 5 TDs is great to get out of a #3 WR.

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:33 pm

TheOneManShow 26 wrote:Back to the topic, the Muhsin Muhammed is a great #3 on a FF team. Heck 800 yards and 5 TDs is great to get out of a #3 WR.

I agree.

For anyone familiar with VBD, the breakoff point (30th best reciever) last season was at 127 fantasy points; this was a split between Larry Fitzgerald (780 yards and 8 TD) and TJ Houshmandzadeh (978 yards and 4 TD). In '03 the breakoff point was at 105 points (Jimmy Smith with 805 and 4). 800 and 5 is right in there and even those are pessimistic numbers coming from Muhammed pessimists. I think we will see close to 1000 and 6 or 7 which gives him acceptable to good value from a #3. I have him ranked as my 18th best reciever based on 1000 and 7, not to mention his potential.
Last edited by davidmarver on Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:35 pm

Dont forget - the anchor of their OLine may not return either. :-o
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby daullaz » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:42 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Its interesting - that was my original take on him too this spring. Then I started taking a closer look at the Bears. Im not extremely high on Muhammed now, but Ive been able to get him as a #3 in mocks - and to me - he's a fine #3 to have because of his upside as a #3 - if he does produce anything close to last yr you have a steal of the draft type pick. Say he regresses though - I can still see 1200 and 8 - thats 200 fewer yds and half the TDs he scored last yr - and thats an awesome #3.

The Bears are definitely gonna suprise some people this yr. Grossman is a gamer, and I've heard some reports of him establishing a good connection with Muhammad already this summer.

A good Oline, a good running game, an X-factor QB, where have I heard this before? :-?

Im just playin Devils Advocate here, but yeah, I love grabbing Mush as my #3 right now.

Well, yeah, as a #3 he should be good. But most teams are drafting him as a #2, and I'm sure some have him as a #1. Not me, of course, but someone.

So if you're looking at him as a WR3, where does that put him in the rankings? 25? 30?
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

oh my god

Postby 5MinAbs » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:08 am

matt birk will be back before game 1. the viking D line is probably a top 10 maybe even top 5 dline. their lbs are full of vets and cant be worse than last yr. you mention claiborne, but did you forget the fact that he was injured for most of last yr? did you also forget the vikings putting up 28 at GB and Indy in consecutive weeks without moss. didnt everyone say the same thing when carter left, when cunningham left, when robert smith left? remember what heppened when clinton portis left? terrel davis? are you kidding me?? sometimes you just have to realize its the system and not always the players. moss is a fine player, but its the vikes system which has given him so much success. he will not product in oakland as he did in minny. you munchers need to step back and take a look at everything before bashing a team just because of your hatred for them....cornbread maxy, youre the worst of em all.
5MinAbs
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:37 am

Welcome to the cafe. ;-D

Birk may not come back - we'll see.

How about the holdouts - any success with them yet?

I guess I see MIN as an 8-8 team again this yr, Im just not sold on their offense right now. As you know, I just think Moss was your offensive system. Should be an interesting season.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bellybrother » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:50 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Its interesting - that was my original take on him too this spring. Then I started taking a closer look at the Bears. Im not extremely high on Muhammed now, but Ive been able to get him as a #3 in mocks - and to me - he's a fine #3 to have because of his upside as a #3 - if he does produce anything close to last yr you have a steal of the draft type pick. Say he regresses though - I can still see 1200 and 8 - thats 200 fewer yds and half the TDs he scored last yr - and thats an awesome #3.

I'm with you CB.
Rex is an animal. He'll find enough balls to go around to the wr's. Gage and who's the other young guy?....berrimen? or somethin? They will be good enough to spread the field a little. The running game should benefit from the spread field whether it's the bruising Benson or T. Jones....or both. And a balanced attack means a decent year for Moose.
Minn's D is theoretically better, but they couldn't be worse, Green bay's D is still weak and I don't envision Detroit knocking ALOTTA balls outta the sky. But Carolina faced some good D's last year. Is rexy Delhomme? Probably not yet, but he's gonna be better THIS year than people expect. He won't be as solid as Delhomme this year probably, but has much more upside.
I wouldn't want him as my #1 hoping for a repeat, but i'd be REALLY happy to have him as my #3.
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk