Dynasty League Deep Sleepers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dynasty League Deep Sleepers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dynasty League Deep Sleepers

Postby CC » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:04 pm

For those playing in dynasty leagues, it's always good to try and get a jump on the competition. Drafting Willis McGahee in the 10th round of my inaugural dynasty league draft has put me in great position for this year. Here are a couple of guys you can get in the last round that could eventually become starters for your team.

QB

Andrew Walter, Oakland Raiders - Kerry Collins won't be around forever, and the Raiders 3rd round pick this year will likely be his successor. 2 years ago everyone was pegging Walter as the #1 pick when he came out, but back-to-back down seasons and shoulder problems dropped him in the draft. He has a big arm and any QB that will be throwing to Randy Moss deserves a look.

RB

Cedric Houston, New York Jets - Last year's leading rusher Curtis Martin is still a solid option, but he is getting long in the tooth and will probably hang it up in a season or two. Enter Houston, with the departure of Lamont Jordan, Houston becomes the heir apparent to the Jets RB position. He is very talented and likely would have been drafted higher if not for splitting time with Gerald Riggs Jr. and some durability problems.

WR

Chris Henry, Cincinatti Bengals - This is a kid who has the talent to be drafted in the top 10, but after burning a lot of bridges at West Virginia was forced to come out and questions about his attitude dropped him to the 3rd round. Make no mistake, if Henry plays like he can he will be a great WR in this league. At the Bengals camps so far he has been catching everything thrown his way and has kept his mouth shut. People were expecting him to be talking like Chad Johnson but he's behaving like Marvin Harrison (without the choking of little kids).

Feel free to add your own.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby skibrett15 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:15 pm

WR: Arnaz Battle
This 3rd year wr seems to have leapfrogged to no. 2 on the 49ers' depth chart. Good things have been reported out of the 49ers' camp and in my opinion all signs point to battle being a legitimate threat somewhere down the road. As alex smith develops battle should fluorish. He may even be a worthwhile backup late in the season this year. As for the 49ers wr is not a huge need at this point so he is unlikely to be supplanted by a rookie or FA next year. He seems to have made a successful transition from the qb position he played at notre dame. In previous years he has returned punts and kickoffs and played on special teams with little experience at wr. If he can run the crisp routes that he has been running in practice he should turn out to be a great pickup for dynasty owners in need of a younger wr.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby CC » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:21 pm

Good call, I've been targetting Battle this year. ;-D
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:40 pm

yeah, only thing is they just signed morton. May not be as good this year, but morton isn't going to be around for very much longer anyways.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby VHawk15 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:44 pm

skibrett15 wrote:yeah, only thing is they just signed morton. May not be as good this year, but morton isn't going to be around for very much longer anyways.

I think Battle will end up beating out Morton for the job this year, anyway.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:00 pm

LOL, Johnnie Morton is no threat. He's a better dancer (have you seen him do the Worm?) than he is a football player.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Gunslinger » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:14 pm

Darren Sproles - RB - SD

Running behind the durable LT isn't going to win you a lot of playing time, but IF LT were to go down, I think this guy can make a serious splash. I believe we'd be seing more of him than M. Turner. I'm going to try to stash him on my dynasty bench if I can find room. This would be a pickup for deep benches only. But there are much less talented players wasting roster spots on a lot of my competitors benches, so why not?

Sporting News wrote:May 29, 8:38 p.m.
Sproles has had Chargers defenders grasping at air in practices. One recent run, in particular, when he went untouched through an entire defense silenced everyone on the practice field for a moment. Then came the hollers. It is becoming increasingly apparent that the 5-6 Sproles will figure into the game plan beyond returning kicks because of his speed and elusiveness. (Kevin Acee for TSN)
Fantasy Source spin: How much he plays beyond returning kicks remains to be seen, but we know he won't have a ton of fantasy value playing behind LT.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby MeShawn » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:06 pm

I can't say too much becuase NFL's Finest's draft isn't over yet, but I'll give a little insight on the rookies.

I totally agree with the Chris Henry call. He usually falls into the late 3rd round (12 team league) which is solid value. His attitude is worse than TO and Randy combined, but it could still pay off.

Deep dynasty leaguers, take a look at Larry Brackins (WR-TB). If you're in a real dynasty league (52 man IDP rosters), look to pick this guy up in the 5th or 6th round of your rookie draft. He has 2nd round NFL talent. He fell under the radar becuase he came out of community college. I'm not even joking here. Watch out for this guy.

Another guy to watch out for is Alvin Pearman. He keeps climbing up everyone's draft boards daily, so pick him up quick. Fred Taylor is bound to miss at least some time (if not A LOT) this season with all the negative reports coming out of Jacksonville. Greg Jones is a fullback and I don't have much faith in Toefield.
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TTTBone » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:43 pm

Well, perhaps not a "deep" sleeper in a dynasty, but I absolutely love Ben Watson's potential at TE. I had him rated as the #1 TE above Troupe last year. Then his rook season was sidelined with injury. I love his skills, and think he'll be a top 15-20 TE this year. This puts Daniel Graham (dropped passes surpassed TD totals last year, good blocker) into a more of a blocking TE position. If Watson progresses as I think he will, he could easily be a top 5 TE for the forseeable future.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby kanezfan11 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:46 pm

I just grabbed Jerricho Cotchery (NYJ) in NFL's Finest. Not banking on him to have an impact in the near future, but the kid's got talent.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk