Keeper and Dynasty Dilemmas: The Old Studs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keeper and Dynasty Dilemmas: The Old Studs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper and Dynasty Dilemmas: The Old Studs

Postby gatorman1122 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:34 pm

Hey everyone, I just wanted to hear your opinions regarding drafting these so called old but studly players for keeper and dynasty leagues.

Will you pass them up simply because of age?

Or will you be forced to draft him because he's simply too good to pass up?

I need some advice for my future keeper/dynasty drafts.

Some of these old studs include the following: Priest Holmes, Curtis Martin, Marvin Harrison, Joe Horn, etc.

(P.S. For those who don't know, Keeper="keep" a certain number of players each year, Dynasty=keep of all your players)
Last edited by gatorman1122 on Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:01 pm

In a dynasty I think many people put too much focus on youth. Sure its great to get a young elite player, but you shouldn't sacrifice today for tomorrow.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:10 pm

in my limited experince (3 drafts) in dynasties, i think a mixture of youth and experience is key. if a guy has around 3 good years left in him, i wont hesitate to take him. i figure in that amount of time, enough rookies-sleepers will emerge that the older guys can be replaced via drafts and the WW. when it comes to older RBs, if you can get them cheap, take them...and if you can get their handcuff later, do it. i do take youth into heavy consideration when players of close the same talent are available for a pick...but id try not to do things like go overboard and take a JJ over a guy like edge just because he is younger.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MeShawn » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:19 pm

I have no problems taking Priest Holmes in a redraft at #3 overall. But in a dynasty, he falls out of my top 20.

A thing to associate with age is injury history in keepers/dynasties (much more than in a redraft league). In a redraft for me, Priest (31 yrs) is #3 and Tiki Barber (30 yrs) is around #15. In a dynasty, I have Tiki about equal to Priest.

------------------------

Even though I emphasize youth a lot, I will not pass up a vet just becuase they are old. In keeper leagues, like everyone, I bump up younger guys some and older guys down. But if I'm sitting on the clock, and a Tiki Barber or Curtis Martin is the highest ranked player on MY cheetsheet, I'm not going to be stubborn and not take him.
Sig courtesy of madaslives911.
MeShawn
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheDiplomats » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:30 pm

You should always grab one proven Veteran player who still has a few years left of productive fantasy numbers. I wouldn't want to gamble all my chips on alot of the Rookie and 2nd year RBs..(IE JJ, Caddilac, KJ, Etc) But the key is to grab a younger guy early and to wait until the late 2nd or early 3rd and see if RB's like Curtis Martin or Tiki, and in some cases Priest Holmes, are still available.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Pjluva10 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:59 pm

Dont let a good old stud be hurt to much in their overall rankings. If you have the option of a vet and a young guy with the same value obviously take the young guy. Dont let that vets value fall to much more than one or two spots down just because he is old. The moral of the story is dont make stretch picks for young players
Pjluva10
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Pete123444 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:56 pm

I don't have any stats to back up this statement but, from my experience, only about 1/3 of dynasty leagues make it to the 3rd year. so if you ask me,throw away any draft sheets that don't say "for redraft leagues" at the top.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Evolution » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:43 am

I dont think dynasty should affect the rankings of many of the top players much. It drops guys like Priest, Martin and Tiki a few slots, but not many.

Where it should have it's major affect is mid-round guys like Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith and Isaac Bruce. These are guys who are getting into their upper 30's and are probably good #2/excellent #3 fantasy receivers for this year, but how effective they can be is a real question mark.

It ends up so that younger guys (say a Colbert or a Braylon Edwards), who have youth and much higher potential, get drafted ahead of the older guys who likely will outproduce the young ones this year, but will be gone by the end this year or next.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:49 am

Evolution wrote:I dont think dynasty should affect the rankings of many of the top players much. It drops guys like Priest, Martin and Tiki a few slots, but not many.

Where it should have it's major affect is mid-round guys like Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith and Isaac Bruce. These are guys who are getting into their upper 30's and are probably good #2/excellent #3 fantasy receivers for this year, but how effective they can be is a real question mark.

It ends up so that younger guys (say a Colbert or a Braylon Edwards), who have youth and much higher potential, get drafted ahead of the older guys who likely will outproduce the young ones this year, but will be gone by the end this year or next.

I feel almost the exact opposite here. I would rather have my studly early picked RB1 be around for a while, since that studly RB1 is more difficult to replace. Meanwhile, I think guys like Isaac Bruce and Rod/Jimmy Smith offer great value as late as they go in dynasty drafts, since finding a replacement for a #2 or (more likely based on where they go in these drafts) #3+ WR is much easier, especially given that you're going to have a year or two to do so.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Evolution » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:24 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I feel almost the exact opposite here. I would rather have my studly early picked RB1 be around for a while, since that studly RB1 is more difficult to replace. Meanwhile, I think guys like Isaac Bruce and Rod/Jimmy Smith offer great value as late as they go in dynasty drafts, since finding a replacement for a #2 or (more likely based on where they go in these drafts) #3+ WR is much easier, especially given that you're going to have a year or two to do so.

I think you mis-interpreted my point FB. Now I'm not saying taking a Curtis Martin or Tiki Barber in the top 15 picks in a dynasty is something you should do, it's pretty standard that those guys are ranked at that level or lower for redraft this year anyways. Those guys are early to mid 2nd rounders, bump them to early to mid 3rd rounders in a dynasty.

Nothing that I said in my post is necessarily something that I would do, it's just my general observation of what seems to be "the norm" in dynasty leagues.
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk