Some Very Tough Roster Decisions To Be Made At WR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cincinnati Bengals

Some Very Tough Roster Decisions To Be Made At WR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Some Very Tough Roster Decisions To Be Made At WR

Postby DUKE » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:21 am

(From the Dayton Daily News)

For the first time in years, the Cincinnati Bengals head into training camp loaded with quality depth at the wide receiver position. A good thing, yes! However, it will be no easy task when it comes time to reduce their roster. This means some talented receivers could eventually hit the open market courtesy of the Bengals.

Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh are the only two receivers guaranteed a spot, leaving veterans like Peter Warrick and Kelley Washington to fight for a place on the roster during training camp.

Although a number of receivers will be vying for a position, the one guy that may already have a leg up on the rest is Kevin Walter. The 6-foot-3, 218-pound receiver made it extremely difficult to be ignored with his performance during the team's recent minicamp.

Walter showed that he is steadily improving by being consistent and making plays. He was strong off the line, quick, ran good routes and demonstrated outstanding blocking skills. He also showed that he can stretch the field when he blew past CB Tory James and made a nice one-handed grab along the sideline before being pushed out of bounds. The sure-handed receiver was even more impressive during red zone drills when he put a move on CB Deltha O'Neal that left him caught like a deer in headlights, freeing Walter up to catch a touchdown pass in the back corner of the end zone.

To improve his game, Walter said over the off-season he worked on his flexibility and watched lots of film as well as studying teammate Chad Johnson in an effort to try and pick up some of his techniques to become a more well-rounded receiver.

Selected by the New York Giants in the seventh round of the 2003 draft, Walter was released by the team out of training camp and claimed off waivers by the Bengals. There are several NFL scouts who feel that the Giants may have given up too quickly on Walter, much like the organization did with Ed McCaffrey and Joe Jurevicius, who both went on to receive Super Bowl rings with other clubs.

The Bengals have been patiently waiting for Walter to develop, mainly because they love his upside. Some see him evolving into a possession-type receiver and a go-to-guy in clutch situations. Keep in mind that this kid was regarded as the premier receiver in the Mid-American Conference in 2002, so he's no slouch.

Not oblivious to the situation that surrounds him, Walter understands what it will take in order for him to make the squad.

"I just have to work hard," he said. "I just have to go out there each day and work harder, make plays, and show them that I deserve to be on this team.

"Whenever my name is called, go out there and catch the ball and contribute somehow. Whether it is on special-teams, I definitely can contribute right away on special teams, or do whatever it is they want me to do. That's my role."

Walter is very versatile and could be used in a number of ways, including the H-back position, where he spent some time playing in college. Not to mention he's a special-teams demon.

Many of the receivers on this team have their work cut out for them, but the one I think that could be in some real danger of being knifed is Kelley Washington. Although he performed well in minicamp, Washington — who feels the need to imitate Freddie "Rerun" Stubbs from the TV sitcom "What's Happening" by "pop-locking" and gyrating after every reception — could be an odd man out. Washington's underachieving and excessive celebrating is undoubtedly growing weary in Cincy and like What's Happening, he too may be canceled.

Man, part of me feels like it could be a bit premature to cut Kelly this early in his career. He's only going into his 3rd year and only completed 1 full season in college. The attitude issues definitely concern me though. I've read archived reports out of Tennessee where he was cited as being a complete ass. Still his upside has me still holding out hope that he can be a very good wr. I'd just hate to see him develop and be a star on someone else's team. There's no denying Walter's abilities on special teams though. He can flat out make tackles. Those abilities, along with his development at Wr could end up being his ticket onto making the roster over a more highly-touted player like Washinton or Pdub. Should be interesting to see how this unfolds.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:48 pm

And I continue to wonder why we invested so much in TJ.
I know we didnt have Henry and Perry at the time, but we still did have Warrick and Washington, and we obviously went into this draft looking for more WRs.

Warrick scares me b/c of his injuries, Washington has been a huge disappointment so far, and if hes an ass, I dont want him. I know we wont do it, but if we lost both of those guys, it wouldnt be the end of the world, although we would be EXTREMELY young. I really want Henry to start this year at the #3, or move TJ to the slot and have CJ and Henry on the outside. Henry has so much potential and ability that he could be something special. Had it not been for his issues during college, he would have easily be a 1st rounder.

I dont know which of Warrick or Washington I would want to see go, but its pretty clear one or both will be. If Warrick is truly healthy though, I think I would want him.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:21 pm

move TJ to the slot and have CJ and Henry on the outside

ahh, my dream Wr line-up of the future for the Bengals. Great minds think alilke. B-) Henry is not a "slot-type" Wr, while TJ is not an "outside/stretch the field #2-type. As soon as he is ready, Henry sounds like the perfect "opposite-Chad" Wr for this team. Hope this kid lives up to hype. ;-D
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby dave416 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:12 pm

Wow, this is interesting. I like them all, and they didnt even make mention of Tab Perry. I agree, however, do away with Washington if he is the second coming Freddie Mitchell. I am sure Lewis is equipped to make the correct decisions.
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby jayday » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:24 pm

DUKE wrote:
move TJ to the slot and have CJ and Henry on the outside

ahh, my dream Wr line-up of the future for the Bengals. Great minds think alilke. B-) Henry is not a "slot-type" Wr, while TJ is not an "outside/stretch the field #2-type. As soon as he is ready, Henry sounds like the perfect "opposite-Chad" Wr for this team. Hope this kid lives up to hype. ;-D

ive liked this lineup as well.....bengals could easily go 3-4 wr sets all year.....i like schobel, but these wrs are nasty....
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Return to Cincinnati Bengals