Will OWENS be traded? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will OWENS be traded?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby fantasizing » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:03 pm

As a TO owner....i'd be furious to see him leave what is an ideal situation in Philly (fantasy and real life). Why can't he just be happy for once!!! I think he's being a bitch about it....but he will start the season. He knows he's the man in Philly
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheDiplomats » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:23 pm

fantasizing wrote:He knows he's the man in Philly

This is the reason I think Owens will be traded or on the bench for the start of next year. He's only hurting himself.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby MadScott » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:09 pm

Karma would love to jump up and bite him in the ass by sending him to Detroit which may be QBed by.......Jeff Garcia! 8-o :-b
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:16 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:
maddog60 wrote:No he wont. TO can ride the pine and it will hurt him more than the Eagles, much more.

Also, the Eagles would not trade him to a playoff caliber NFC team, that's just retarded.

How does it hurt him? He has tons of money. However, the Eagles are a far better team when TO is on the field. When he isn't, who is your #1 WR? Westbrook? I'd say so, hes better at catching passes than Pinkston.

It hurts him more because he's holding out for more money. Now if he makes good on his hold out, then the Eagles sit him. He'll be on the shelf for a year, another year older, and even if the Eagles cut him then, that year on the sidelines will hurt the amount of money he could get. Whereas the Eagles are still a Superbowl contender without him. Thus, his holdout hurts him more than them.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GMoney » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:38 am

i dont know if id call the eagles contenders with..... Pinky, Greg Lewis, and..... reggie brown???? thats worse than the Niners WR crew.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:43 am

GMoney wrote:i dont know if id call the eagles contenders with..... Pinky, Greg Lewis, and..... reggie brown???? thats worse than the Niners WR crew.

Oh, they weren't contenders in 03, 02, or 01? And didn't they make it through the playoffs even without TO last year? Brown and Lewis can't possibly be worse than Thrash and Mitchell.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GMoney » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:52 am

well mitchell was definately a higher rated WR in 01 and 02 than Brown is now, and id give the edge to thrash in those years over lewis now as well.

they may not have been elite recivers but i think 2 years ago a pinky, thrash, and fred ex core was more expieienced and more servicable than Pinky (now), greg lewis, and reggie brown, both of whom are a couple years off being legit NFL starters.
GMoney
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:09 am

more experienced, but not very good at all.

Thrash wasn't traded for his age, and declining skills. He was traded for lack of skills overall. Thrash went on to be a #4 on the Skins. Lewis was last year the #4 WR on the Eagles. Lewis is younger, quicker, and performs better in big games than Thrash ever did.

Pinkston has always had the problems he faces now. He's too scrawny, and gets beat up on the line. CBs jam him and he loses all momentum, and cant run his route (when he isn't afraid). He's also still got the same bad hands.

While a core of Pinkston, Reggie Brown, and Greg Lewis are not the kind of starting trio I'd want, they're certainly an improvement over the Eagles WRs 2 years ago.

But more to the point: The Eagles are contenders without TO.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:02 am

the idea that the eagles couldn't make it to the super bowl without owens is absurd and shows an ignorance of the facts. I shouldn't have to get into it, but any time a team makes the championship game, they are de facto contenders.

No owens hurts, obviosuly. But who is really better? Eagles still have the best real-life qb in the conference. They have the best defense in the conference. They have a very dynamic and tough to cover running back. I think even without owens, they have far less holes than almost any team in the conference.

I mean really, who is close to being as good? Minnesota? I think until we see otherwise, we still have to give the edge to philly on defense. I think qb wise, culpepper is not the real-life qb that mcnabb is. His decsisions are sometimes questionable, and I think mcnabb's wins, playoff pedigree etc show that. runnignbacks are probably closer, as westbrook is as good as minny's best (better really), but minny has the depth. Until further notice, the eagles lines are better too. And special teams is superior.

The other teams match up worse, not better than the vikes.

Of course, they are still contenders. Once you get to the game, anything can happen.

And fun fact? guess who had the most receptions over 50 yards last year? I believe it was pinkston. He sucks, but he is fast, tall and can still stretch the field.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:05 am

as to the main point?

why would the eagles trade him? they don't have to pay him, and I don't believe he is accruing time that counts towards his contract. He doesn't have leverage. In fact, the eagles look good in the public eye (and by the league) for playing hardball. I know there is a contingent of fans that would be prouder of them for making it to the championship game without him than making the big dance with him.

E deprives himself of his platform if he doesn't play.

And if they traded him, I'd bet it would be to the afc anyway.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk