creationism and schools - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

creationism and schools

Moderator: Football Moderators

creationism and schools

Postby defianthart » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:14 pm

i dunno if anyones seen penn & teller: bull$hit on showtime but i just watched an episode on creationism and schools. i didnt know this but right here in my new state of GA, marietta, cobb county to be more precise, it is actually school board policy to teach creationism, or "intelligent design", and is taught as a scientific theory.

it just really pisses me off that the religious right has gone far enough to acutally use tax payers money to push their agenda, and i cant believe that the school board actually voted to accept this. creationism is not a science and im sorry if i offend anyone, but to say that evolution simply didnt happen, that God created the entire world in 6 days, is ludicrous. to teach a work of fiction as fact is just insane.

Raeliens believe the same thing as creationists by the way, that an all powerful being created everything in the world, but they believe aliens did it... but they gotta be crazy.

[/vent]
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mtryanks12 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:22 pm

It's all just opinion. I believe in god and I'm devoutly religious. I'm sure nobody here thought this but I'm extrememly active at my chruch. I think god created earth, but it's pure opinion. I just don't think it should be taught at schools at all in any way, shape, or form.
mtryanks12
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby defianthart » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:36 pm

i didnt mean to step all over your religious beliefs there and i probably got a little carried away, but ive gotten a lot of crap here in GA because a lot of people arent very tolerant, and to see that the govt is actually taking the side of the people who are so intolerant to me and my ideas, angered me.

defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby davidmarver » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:40 pm

This is the first thing in awhile that rules in favor of religion, so I wouldn't complain too loudly. The country was founded on Christian beliefs so it should be taught as a 'theory' in schools. I am not offended by this one bit.

I believe the reference in the Bible to six days is more of a symbollic six days rather than a calender six days.

While I believe in a mix of both creationism and evolution, there are still a lot of holes in evolutionary charts.
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby defianthart » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:59 pm

davidmarver wrote:This is the first thing in awhile that rules in favor of religion, so I wouldn't complain too loudly. The country was founded on Christian beliefs so it should be taught as a 'theory' in schools. I am not offended by this one bit.

I believe the reference in the Bible to six days is more of a symbollic six days rather than a calender six days.

While I believe in a mix of both creationism and evolution, there are still a lot of holes in evolutionary charts.

so because its the first thing in a while we should just let it slide? one of the basic principles this country was founded on is freedom of choice, whether it be something as trivial as music or clothing, or as serious as religion. to have to be taught that one religions beliefs has more truth to it than yours isnt choice. theres also this little thing called seperation of church and state, ya know that the govt isnt supposed to force any one religion on anyone.

creationism or intelligent design or whatever they want to call it is a religious belief and there is no way around it. even if its an "all powerful super natural being" and not God, the beliefs behind this theory are based in the bible/torah and should not be taught using tax payers money(who may or may not believe in this) in a public school.

and even if it was taught it school, it doesnt belong in a science class. there is absolutely no scientific basis for creationism. if it is a religious belief of yours that God created the universe and everything in it, thats one thing, but to try to pass off religion as science is another. would you teach the idea of karma, or that zeus created lightning and thunder as scientific fact?

defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby hayesb26 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:10 pm

defianthart wrote:
davidmarver wrote:This is the first thing in awhile that rules in favor of religion, so I wouldn't complain too loudly. The country was founded on Christian beliefs so it should be taught as a 'theory' in schools. I am not offended by this one bit.

so because its the first thing in a while we should just let it slide? one of the basic principles this country was founded on is freedom of choice, whether it be something as trivial as music or clothing, or as serious as religion. to have to be taught that one religions beliefs has more truth to it than yours isnt choice. theres also this little thing called seperation of church and state, ya know that the govt isnt supposed to force any one religion on anyone.

creationism or intelligent design or whatever they want to call it is a religious belief and there is no way around it. even if its an "all powerful super natural being" and not God, the beliefs behind this theory are based in the bible/torah and should not be taught using tax payers money(who may or may not believe in this) in a public school.

and even if it was taught it school, it doesnt belong in a science class. there is absolutely no scientific basis for creationism. if it is a religious belief of yours that God created the universe and everything in it, thats one thing, but to try to pass off religion as science is another.

This is where I stand as well. I'm not religious, and I wouldn't want my tax money being spent to teach children these things that I believe are entirely fictional.

Also, I don't think that anyone should be able to force these kids to learn about something that is part of a religion. It has nothing to do with science class, this belongs in Sunday school.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:14 pm

I'm with defiantHeart on this. Teaching creationism, especially as "scientific theory" in schools is just wrong.

Look, I'm Catholic. I believe in Christianity and that God created the world. But that is a belief, and should not be taught in any formal matter and put on the same platform as science. Scientific theories have facts, supporting evidence, proof (though not absolute), Creationism as was said, just an opinion.

Many of the things about schools these days rub me the wrong way. This, California banning the pledge (making it voluntary and banning are huge differences), many cases of anti-Catholism behavior (like suspending a student for having "hate speech" when they used a religious book cover).
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:24 pm

defianthart wrote:

and even if it was taught it school, it doesnt belong in a science class. there is absolutely no scientific basis for creationism. if it is a religious belief of yours that God created the universe and everything in it, thats one thing, but to try to pass off religion as science is another. would you teach the idea of karma, or that zeus created lightning and thunder as scientific fact?

If you want to use the 'freedom of choice' argument then shouldn't children see all the choices there are to choose from. I'm pretty sure most of us can make our own knowledgable decisions.

And if creationism is being taught as a 'possible theory' then who does it really bother? Nowhere is the word 'Christianity' ever mentioned, it's simply left as a 'possible theory'.

And a lot of Catholic parents wouldn't want their tax money being spent teaching their children about evolution if they (the parents) didn't believe in it, so I don't really think that pov holds much water.

Look, part of California's 8th grade history curriculum is Islam. How can Islam be taught in schools, but one "theory" of Christianity not be taught when the word "Christianity" isn't even mentioned?

This country has turned into a such a politically-correct group of know-it-alls it's ridiculous. Nothing that founded that country still exists except for a few papers that most courts ignore these days.
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pete123444 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:37 pm

Creation was taught in schools in America long before the theory of evolution.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Flockers » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:46 pm

I'm not a religious guy, but I do believe in God. I go to church with my mom in the offseason, mostly so she will stop badgering me. I'm a person that believes that Evolution should be taught in public schools because there is scientific evidence. If you want your kids to learn about Creation, send them to private school.

In my school our Biology teacher taught us both sides of the spectrum which I found interesting. He gave us examples of nutjobs who believe that the Devil put dinosaur fossils so people strayed away from Creation and the word of God. Bullshit. I don't believe in Creation, but I still believe in God.

Frankly, I don't care what is taught in my school or what lectures I have to endure as long as get the credit.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk