creationism and schools - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

creationism and schools

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:47 am

Oh, it also helps that Evolution is a Seahawks fan. :-b
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby defianthart » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:32 am

34=Sweetness wrote:Are they teaching this over evolution? Like not teaching evolution at all? If so, thats flat out ridiculous.

Wikipedia wrote:n Scientology doctrine, Xenu is a galactic ruler who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of people to Earth, stacked them around volcanoes, and blew them up with hydrogen bombs. Their souls then clustered together and stuck to the bodies of the living, and continue to cause people problems today. These events are known to Scientologists as "Incident II," and the traumatic memories associated with them as The Wall of Fire or the R6 implant.

L. Ron Hubbard, founder of Scientology, detailed the story in Operating Thetan level III (OT III) in 1967, famously warning that R6 was "calculated to kill (by pneumonia etc) anyone who attempts to solve it." The Xenu story was the start of the use of the volcano as a common symbol of Scientology and Dianetics from 1968 to the present day.

Xenu? Sounds like a friggin Star Trek episode. :-D

scientology is freaking weird...

in response to your question, theyre not teaching it over evolution, theyre just forced to say that its another possible theory and explain why.

even in the episode, the creationists never really gave fact to support their theory other than the grand canyon was created by a great amount of water running through it all at once(in reference to the noahs ark), so im sort of curious as to how teachers present this to the class.
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Flockers » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:00 am

Xenu is a galactic ruler who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of people to Earth, stacked them around volcanoes, and blew them up with hydrogen bombs.

He must have been the George Bush of his time. :-b

That Scientology crap is weird. Freakin' psychos. :-o
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby awwchrist » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:19 pm

I gotta read that scientology stuff. I bet there's a good laugh or two in there.

I've stopped banging the "don't teach creationism/evolution" arguement.

My opinion is that regardless of what the school district sees fit to peddle in it's class room for a week, there's no way it's going to trump my ideals for my child.

Fact is, there's bigger fish to fry.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:31 pm

Pete123444 wrote:Y'all can't help it. You're just goin by what they want you to see and hear. Look into it a little bit. You have a computer,with an open mind , do a search. don't just go by what you have been fed in the past.

Why dont you provide some proof for your stance on this? We've all provided proof supporting that Evolution is a scientific theory, proveable, unlike Creationism, so where is your proof?
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tiki » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:15 pm

Pete123444 wrote:Y'all crazy if you believe in evolution.
Well, Pete call me crazy! :-[
I think Religion should be left out of public schools unless you have a class like my school does called "World Religions" . Now I got to a private school, and I hate relgion class... Maybe was the worst part of my day this school year. I don't beleive in God, but I do believe there is a higher power.. It's kinda hard to explain I guess.
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:18 pm

Redskins Win wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:Teacher: "Class, God created everything and you must believe that, because you have to have faith. Class dismissed."

Student: "That's it?"

Blind Faith.
Evolution is suspect as well. Just because some guy draws a chart with a monkey turning into a man doesn't make it so.
Separation of church and state is fundamental in maintaing a sociological balance.
The thery of evolution is way beyond that! Scientist have linked many things to us and apes and monkeys alike. Our DNA compared to a Chimps DNA is like 1-3% different. How do you explain that?
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:30 pm

defianthart wrote:creationism or intelligent design or whatever they want to call it is a religious belief and there is no way around it.

I'd probably keep those two separate. You're right that creationism is a religious belief (and as such, I don't think anyone will see anything wrong with that as long as it's in the proper context). Intelligent Design, on the other hand... well, let's just say that it seems that neither faith nor science is well served. :-/
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Vikes Rule 88 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:48 pm

maddog60 wrote:
Pete123444 wrote:Y'all can't help it. You're just goin by what they want you to see and hear. Look into it a little bit. You have a computer,with an open mind , do a search. don't just go by what you have been fed in the past.

Why dont you provide some proof for your stance on this? We've all provided proof supporting that Evolution is a scientific theory, proveable, unlike Creationism, so where is your proof?

I found a nice article a while ago:

The causal argument consists of two statements, or laws, and a conclusion. The first law of the causal argument states that "for every effect there must be a cause." That is, there must be a cause behind every single thing that happens. A car moving down the street, for example, did not just materialize out of thin air and start driving itself! There are causes behind the effect of the moving car. The second law of the causal argument states that "no effect can be greater (quantitatively or qualitatively) than its cause." That is, a cause must always be equal to, or greater than, the effect it causes. A large tree falling over, for example, must have a cause behind that fall which is quantitatively greater than a light summer breeze! A beautiful painting must be caused by something qualitatively greater than a few cans of paint falling on a canvas. Now behind every immediate cause there is obviously a chain of prior causes. Behind a printed page, for example, is an immediate printing press "cause". But what caused the printing press, and what caused the cause of the printing press, etc., etc.? It is not difficult to see that the logical conclusion of the causal argument is that behind everything there is either an infinite and eternal chain of greater and greater causes, or there is ultimately a first great cause which is itself infinite and eternally uncaused. And when you really think about it, there is not too much difference between these two options! The Christian takes a reasonable step (not a blind leap!) of faith at this point and believes that the God of the Bible is this infinite and eternal First Cause. Unbelievers ridicule Christians for this step of faith by asking, "What caused God?" They think that this question somehow wins their case or gets them off the hook, but they are actually showing their own ignorance of logic. Every rational person, including unbelievers, must logically conclude on the basis of the causal argument that somewhere at the beginning of the line there has got to be an uncaused cause. The unbeliever who labels this uncaused cause "Big Bang" or "Eternal Universe" takes just as much of a leap of faith as the Christian who believes in God. We could reasonably ask at this point, "Who has really been brainwashed in their thinking?!"

Im not sure what all this adds to the argument, but I posted that somewhere else a while ago :-b

need a sig? PM me
Vikes Rule 88 Beginner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby black_hawk8888 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:57 pm

I may be with the minority but I think that either position takes faith. Evolution is just as much "religion" as Creation. Nobody was there to see the beginning of the world so both positions require a certain amount of faith. People come to different conclusions based on their interpretation of the evidence but that doesn't make either position an airtight argument. Both are theories that cannot be fully proven.

I happen to think it is much easier to believe in Creation for 1 simple reason: how did anything that is physically tangible actually come into existence??? I understand the Evolutionist theory and it makes sense except that it keeps going back. How did the gas cloud that created the Big Bang get there in the first place? To me it is a lot easier to believe that a powerful Being at least started the process. Otherwise, we have no record of anything physical coming from nothing - it is totally nonsensical and defies good logic.
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk