Roenick to fans: Think we're greedy? Don't come to games - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Roenick to fans: Think we're greedy? Don't come to games

Moderator: Football Moderators

Roenick to fans: Think we're greedy? Don't come to games

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:57 am

I'm sure the NHL PR folks loved this one:

PRESTO, Pa. (AP) -- Philadelphia Flyers center Jeremy Roenick has some advice for hockey fans who blame the NHL lockout on players' greed: Once it's finally settled, stay home.

``We're going to try to make it better for everybody, period, end of subject. And if you don't realize that, then don't come,'' said Roenick, who spoke at a charity golf event he played in over the weekend.

``We don't want you at the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey,'' he said Saturday at the Mario Lemieux Celebrity Invitational in suburban Pittsburgh.

Full article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-nhllockout-roenick&prov=ap&type=lgns
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:03 am

Good ol JR...always good for a laugh! He lived RIGHT NEXT DOOR to my ex girlfriend, and I never even knew it. She told me sometime later, after we had split that "some sports guy" lived there. This was, of course, when he first came to the Hawks. I'm still bitter. :-#
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:08 am

Nice work..Don't worry, JR. People won't. Haha.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hastur » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:38 am

I was watching that on PTI yesterday. They were saying what he said was going to be misconstrued into a soundbite that would be very misleading to the general public. They said he was really talking about the players, not the fans. I guess you would have to watch the entire interview to understand what he was trying to say.

For instance, you could collect every time Hitler appeared on camera and 'soundbite' it into a collection that makes him sound reasonable, level-headed, kind, and generous.
Go Cowboys!
hastur
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby CC » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:53 am

I think that the fact the NHL is losing money in spades is a testament to how people do think they're greedy, and don't need an invitation from some douche like Roenick not to come to the games. It's fairly apparent no one cares anyway.

Even in Canada, hockey is losing interest. There used to be an hourlong special on every non-development in the lockout, now theres a 2 minute clip.

Good, hockey sucks, I hope it disbands and makes room for more football and basketball on TV.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Calyxes » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:21 am

I will throw a beer at him if i get the chance this year :-)
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:27 am

Calyxes wrote:I will throw a beer at him if i get the chance this year :-)

That's a waste of a perfectly good beer. Throw a Zima at him. ;-D
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby defianthart » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:33 am

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:
Calyxes wrote:I will throw a beer at him if i get the chance this year :-)

That's a waste of a perfectly good beer. Throw a Zima at him. ;-D

yeah then he has to go through the humiliation of being the only guy at a hockey game buying a zima... throw a soda
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Calyxes » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:36 am

For the price of a beer I could throw 2 sodas at him. Good call defianthart
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby defianthart » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:38 am

Calyxes wrote:For the price of a beer I could throw 2 sodas at him. Good call defianthart

im just tryin to help you get as drunk as possible while still being able to heckle an asshole on the ice
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to General Talk