Whats a good number of yards per point for return yardage - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Whats a good number of yards per point for return yardage

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Manja » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:22 pm

davidmarver wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:Ok I just found out its not only kick/punt return, but all defensive yardage. Does that change anything?

In what sense? Like the amount of yards the defense gives up, or the amount it amasses on its own through fumble recoveries, interception returns, and kick/punt yardage?

I'd imagine the latter.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 34=Sweetness » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:35 pm

davidmarver wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:Ok I just found out its not only kick/punt return, but all defensive yardage. Does that change anything?

In what sense? Like the amount of yards the defense gives up, or the amount it amasses on its own through fumble recoveries, interception returns, and kick/punt yardage?

Yep, the latter, amasses.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:30 am

Not really.... I mean the vast majority of the yards your defense/special teams picks up are still going to be in the form of return yardage...

Occasionally, someone will run an interception back 50 yards, but that's good for 1 point, and only happens 2-3 times per season.... So, no, I don't think this has much impact....

I do like that rule, though, as it rewards your defense for long interception and fumble returns....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:46 am

Last season the Saints had the most yards acquired from kick off and punt returns..... Just over 2100 yards over the course of the year....

At 50 per point, that's 42 fantasy points..... Spread out over 16 games, that's roughly 2.6 fantasy points per game....

I would hardly call that "blowing up."

What I don't like about this rule is something that another poster already mentioned.... It rewards the worst defenses in football because they tend to give up the most points, and thus get the most kick return yardage.... I mean, let's look at the top 10 kick returning teams from last year:

1) NO
2) KC
3) SF
4) OAK
5) MIA
6) NYG
7) CHI
8) STL
9) DAL
10) DET

And let's look at the worst returners in the league:

1) NYJ
2) JAX
3) DEN
4) WAS
5) PHI
6) BAL
7) ARI
8) NE
9) CAR
10) ATL

It seems counter productive to be awarding points to defenses who give up tons of points, now doesn't it?

However, if you're going to play by this rule, then you want to target teams that tend to give up a lot of points, but also get a lot of sacks and interceptions....

Some good teams to look at in this sytem would be:

Indianapolis, Detroit, Chicago, and possibly KC, as they should still have a killer return game, and may pick up more turnovers and sacks with that improved defense....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk