Boffins create zombie dogs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Boffins create zombie dogs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Boffins create zombie dogs

Postby Slingblade » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:17 pm

The picture says it all...wow.
SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.

US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.
Pittsburgh's Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject's veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.

The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock.

Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.

However rather than sending people to sleep for years, then bringing them back to life to benefit from medical advances, the boffins would be happy to keep people in this state for just a few hours,

But even this should be enough to save lives such as battlefield casualties and victims of stabbings or gunshot wounds, who have suffered huge blood loss.

During the procedure blood is replaced with saline solution at a few degrees above zero. The dogs' body temperature drops to only 7C, compared with the usual 37C, inducing a state of hypothermia before death.

Although the animals are clinically dead, their tissues and organs are perfectly preserved.

Damaged blood vessels and tissues can then be repaired via surgery. The dogs are brought back to life by returning the blood to their bodies,giving them 100 per cent oxygen and applying electric shocks to restart their hearts.

Tests show they are perfectly normal, with no brain damage.

"The results are stunning. I think in 10 years we will be able to prevent death in a certain segment of those using this technology," said one US battlefield doctor.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15739502-13762,00.html
Slingblade
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:20 pm

I can see its use (well, duh), but I think, if this works, we will be seeing some massive population problems down the line.
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Manja » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:20 pm

I'm thinking that we're going to have a crazy horror movie in real life if something goes wrong.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:27 pm

Wow, that is big news for people who want to by crynogenically frozen and reanimated at a later date to continue life.

Interesting stuff there...
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:59 am

Zombie dogs...great! :-o

While I was in Vegas, one of my friends told me about the voodoo people that supposedly create "zombies." I guess they use some sort of root that really jacks up your heart to the point of where it's barely beating, but you are still alive. The people "die" for several days and are then "revived" by a voodoo dude. I guess the deal is that if you bring someone back to life they are indebted to you forever like a slave.

As long as they don't ask for my brains, I don't care. ;-D

Funny how the zombie conversation started when we heard Mel Torme tell us to watch our step going off the moving walkway at McCarran Airport. He must have been watching us from beyond the grave! :-b
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:46 am

So do the Red Sox still own the rights to Ted Williams or would he have to reenter the draft...? :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:53 am

I think I've seen it all :-o Creepy stuff, let's hope this doesn't turn out to be the fifth movie in George Romero's "dead" series :-o
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Homeless » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:05 am

WOW, freaky and cool at the same time.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby mutantseabass » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:12 am

This is very interesting. Could be very beneficial like the article said to victims who suffer massive blood loss, also should benefit the military.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:32 am

creamdoorthirtyniner wrote:I think I've seen it all :-o Creepy stuff, let's hope this doesn't turn out to be the fifth movie in George Romero's "dead" series :-o

Afternoon of the Poodles? :-?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk