want some opinions on joey harrington... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

want some opinions on joey harrington...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:35 pm

mnheadliner wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:I followed him through his college career. The guy is a true competitor and has the ability to play championship-caliber football. Give him a healthy supporting cast and I think he'll light it up.

PRO ball is a whole new level of play man. Some players just can't adjust.

I'm aware of that.

But he's got a certain quality about him that I believe will shine with good healthy weapons at his disposal. He is a leader with drive and intensity that I think will shine this year. The guy's a winner. If his team stays healthy, I think he'll prove a lot of people wrong.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:13 am

Here are the pluses for Harrington: he finally has a solid RB and corps of WRs. A new OC who is reported to want to open up the passing game. He hasn't been sacked much during his career. He plays a mean piano.

Not being a Harrington fan it is hard for me to come up with more positives. But I do know from having watched his games that he doesn't have the accuracy to throw long successfuly. He hasn't shown any ability to throw the short pass with any accuracy. He tends to look to dump the ball off very quickly. And worse of all I have never felt that he seemed comfortable in the system the Lions run. Like he just didn't get it.

If the Lions' offense clicks, whoever is behind the center will put up great numbers. I just don't know that I could trust Harrington enough to use as anything more than a bye week filler.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby maddog60 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:27 am

moochman wrote:He plays a mean piano.

Good to know he won't starve if QBing doesn't pan out for him.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:48 am

maddog60 wrote:

And he somehow loses all the money he has made from playing football.
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MadScott » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:41 am

moochman wrote:Not being a Harrington fan it is hard for me to come up with more positives. But I do know from having watched his games that he doesn't have the accuracy to throw long successfuly. He hasn't shown any ability to throw the short pass with any accuracy. He tends to look to dump the ball off very quickly. And worse of all I have never felt that he seemed comfortable in the system the Lions run. Like he just didn't get it.

If the Lions' offense clicks, whoever is behind the center will put up great numbers. I just don't know that I could trust Harrington enough to use as anything more than a bye week filler.

Accuracy is the biggest thing that I too have seen as lacking in Joey's game. Now I do think that the WR injuries have played into that somewhat, but I also think a good portion of that goes back on him. There is no doubt that this season will be his litmus test. He needs to not only improve his personal stats this season, but he also needs to lead the team to some wins.

I agree that whoever is behind center this season has a legit shot to put up some very nice numbers, I'm just not 100% sold on who that will be. I think Joey's going to be on a very short leash.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tiki » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:11 pm

davidmarver wrote:
maddog60 wrote:

And he somehow loses all the money he has made from playing football.

He goes on binge drinking sprees and gets addicited to drugs and hookers....Gets a ton of law suits and fines...THen more bad stuff and he's broke...It's happened before....
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:33 pm

I don't think there'll ever be an accurate way to measure a quarterback's effectivness using numbers. There's tangibles that they bring to the table. There's the situation they're in. There's the people around them. Things happen all the time, and never get counted for.

Last year, would you rather of had Matt Hasselbeck or Big Ben on your team? Ben would more than likely get the ajority botes, but Hasselbeck was a higher rated player on the scale, if I remember correctly. Things outside of the box matter more than the things inside it IMO. Without leadership, wins or poise, Ben would've been looked at like he was crap. But those things made him into an icon in the NFL.

Stats are just that: numbers. Not reality.
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Guru13 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:47 pm

maddog60 wrote:
dream_017 wrote:QB rating is not the best for ranking a QB especially for a QB with not running game.

Oh, what is the best? I would never advocate that the QB Rating system is perfect, but until someone can show a better way to evaluate QBs there is no other standard. The QB ranking is nothing like the team offense/defense rankings which rely on only one stat and are obviously flawed. So please, what would you consider a better ranking?

In '04 and '03 Joey had more TDs and Yards than the guys that you listed except for Carr's 2004 yards. The QB rating has a lot to do with completions and attempts. When you do
not have a running game
and are throwing to WRs that wouldn't even make a practice squad for most teams you are not going to have a good completion %.

So we should judge QBs based on Yards and TD totals? I suppose Vinny Testaverde was better than Big Ben last year, and Jake Delhomme was better than Drew Brees. You made my point for me in your own statement (note the bolding), when you have no running game, you throw more, when you're on a bad team and play from behind often, you have to throw more. When you throw more, you inevitably accumulate more yards and more TDs.

'02 leading receivers - Stewart(RB) and Schroeder(3rd WR from GB); '03 leading receivers - Bryson(RB) and Hakim(3rd WR from STL) Not only that he had a bad O-line with no time to throw.

And David Carr has a Pro Bowl offensive line? Carr has been sacked 140 in 44 games. That's a little over 3 sacks per game. Harrington has been sacked 53 times 46 games. Quite simply, Harrington however bad his line is, has had superior pass protection compared to Carr.

damn you really schooled him, and in the post after this one that i quoted.Maddog, i luv your opinions.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby LT Blue Colt » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:18 pm

I like how I keep going under this topic looking for some great insight on my teams QB, but all I really find is interesting debates on QB ratings. So, here's my 2 cents. Joey's either going to flop or not, we'll just have to wait and see, we all know that, and the best QB rating is a quaterbacks determination and heart. How do you measure it? I don't know. Thank you very much, I'll be here all week. :-D :-D :-D
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:44 am

i still like maddogs opinion the best, until you can find a better way then QB rating, its the best.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk