want some opinions on joey harrington... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

want some opinions on joey harrington...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:18 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Now if you'd like to debate the issue of surrounding talent, I believe its already been posted earlier in this thread several QBs who succeeded with comparable or less talent than Harrington, none of which are worthy of being starting QBs in the NFL.

really? Please refresh me - I must have missed it. What QBs succeeded in their 1st 3 yrs with the worst running game and WRs in the NFL?

Doh, wrong Harrington thread. They'll kinda blurred together for me, as its the same argument over and over.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two:

Quincy Carter - Dallas - 2003. Antonio Bryant, Joey Galloway, and Troy Hambrick didn't scare anyone.

Tim Couch - Cleveland - 2002. Possibly the only team with worse talent at every single position than Detroit since Joey's been playing.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:55 am

maddog60 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
maddog60 wrote:Now if you'd like to debate the issue of surrounding talent, I believe its already been posted earlier in this thread several QBs who succeeded with comparable or less talent than Harrington, none of which are worthy of being starting QBs in the NFL.

really? Please refresh me - I must have missed it. What QBs succeeded in their 1st 3 yrs with the worst running game and WRs in the NFL?

Doh, wrong Harrington thread. They'll kinda blurred together for me, as its the same argument over and over.

Quincy Carter - Dallas - 2003. Antonio Bryant, Joey Galloway, and Troy Hambrick didn't scare anyone.

Tim Couch - Cleveland - 2002. Possibly the only team with worse talent at every single position than Detroit since Joey's been playing.

neither of those guys succeeded.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby LionsTim » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:36 am

I completely agree that Harrington gets a bad rap. He has consistantly shown year to year improvement despite being handicapped by injuries. This year WHEN someone gets injured, we will be ready. QB, RB, WR, TE, and even the Off-line has depth. Even the defense and return game has depth, so there's no reason to think that he won't post 25 TDs this year, not bad for your #2 or #3 QB. The question will be and has always been if he can WIN. I think you will see a better 4th qtr team than last year, and Joey should have plenty of yds and TDs, plus maybe even run for 200-300 yds by season's end.
Get your gym shoes on!
LionsTim
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LionsTim » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:44 am

Not to mention, we dropped something like 45 passes last year, and I remember at least 3-4 tds dropped by Alexander, Williams, and Hakim. Say you complete half of those passes and give him the 3 td's, suddenly he's got a rating of maybe around 90.0, a completion percentage of roughly 62, we probably win 1-2 more games and make the playoffs.
Get your gym shoes on!
LionsTim
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:00 am

Exactly LionsTim. And nothing against Maddog, but to be able to put in a statement that's relevant with the way Harrington plays, not only just his production, you need to have to watch the games like us fellow Lions fans do. Research doesn't show things that don't appear on the scoresheet. Those things are usually deciding factors of the scoresheet...
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ngub12 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:18 am

maddog60 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

quincy carter was not good in 03 first of all. second of all his supporting cast was better with a much better o-line. and dallas has a D.

tim couch? tim couch??? no really tim couch??? DEFINITLY not a success.

The bottom line is if you put peyton manning on a team with no o-line, no wrs, and no rb even he will not succeed.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:59 am

They did better than Harrington in those seasons. The fact that neither is still starting in the NFL was the point. Such lousy QBs did better than Harrington with just as little.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:27 pm

I think it's pretty sad how pretty much every NFL analyst is predicting that the Lions offense will be great this year, after Harrington is benched and Garcia takes over...

This is usually based on the notion that the Lions have spent all their high draft choices on offensive weapons and Harrington still isn't great. Hmm, one receiver that's been hurt for two years and two rookies. Now another rookie (M. Williams). It's not like Harrington inherited an offensive powerhouse in it's prime, like Daunte did (for example). He's improved significantly every year (as someone else pointed out) and the Lions, fans, analysts should show some patience.

I think he'll improve again, but still won't have a major fantasy impact this year.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Goatwhacker » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:29 pm

LionsTim wrote: Say you complete half of those passes and give him the 3 td's, suddenly he's got a rating of maybe around 90.0, a completion percentage of roughly 62, we probably win 1-2 more games and make the playoffs.

And if pigs had wings....

All this is coulda, woulda, shoulda - the bottom line is Harrington hasn't put it together so far. I did not watch all the Lions games last year, but I watched 5 or 6, and Harrington just wasn't that hot.

I actually like Harrington, he seems like a good guy, I wish him well, but to me he's no more than a backup QB fantasy-wise and will stay that way until he shows something more.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:31 pm

9er Fan wrote:I think it's pretty sad how pretty much every NFL analyst is predicting that the Lions offense will be great this year, after Harrington is benched and Garcia takes over...

it is pretty funny how clueless most of those guys are when discussing the Lions.

The funniest part was prior to the draft when they were guessing what the Lions needed.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk