Chris Brown - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chris Brown

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby MadScott » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:34 am

Azrael wrote:Last I heard, Jacksonville was the team looking hard at Henry.

Chris Brown is seen as an injury problem but I can't put that on him. He really wasn't hurt much except for the turf toe which is very painful and is something that anyone could get.

I too keep hearing that JAX is the leading contender for Henry's services as well, main reason being that his price tag is way less than Edge or SA's.

Just so everyone is on the same page about turf toe:

What is turf toe?
Turf toe is a condition of pain at the base of the big toe, located at the ball of the foot. The condition is usually caused from either jamming the toe, or pushing off repeatedly when running or jumping. The most common complaint is pain at the base of the toe, but you may also have symptoms of stiffness and swelling.

The name turf toe comes from the fact that this injury is especially common among athletes who play on artificial turf. The hard surface of artificial turf, combined with running and jumping in football and soccer, make turf toe a frequent consequence of Astroturf play.

What happens to the toe in turf toe?
When a player sustains a turf toe injury they are actually tearing the capsule that surrounds the joint at the base of the toe. Tearing this joint capsule can be extremely painful. Furthermore, tear of the joint capsule can lead to instability and even dislocation of the joint at the base of the toe. This may lead to accelerated cartilage wear and arthritis of the big toe (hallux rigidus).

What is the treatment of turf toe?
The diagnosis of turf toe is not difficult, but X-rays may be taken to ensure there is no fracture. Treatment of turf toe consists of resting the sore toe, icing the area, and elevating the foot; anti-inflammatory medications may be recommended by your doctor. Athletes diagnosed with turf toe should avoid their sport for about three weeks to allow the joint capsule to heal. Once returning to activities, special inserts can be used to limit the motion of the big toe and prevent further damage to the joint capsule.

Unfortunately, turf toe can return, and rehabilitation may be slow. Surgery is rarely needed for treatment of turf toe, but in certain cases it may be helpful. If a bone spur forms, and severely limits motion of the toe joint, surgery to remove the spur may be helpful.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/toeprob ... lems_5.htm

That isn't an easy injury to overcome. I think that the main rub in Tenn. is that Eddie George used to be able to play through that and Brown has yet to be able to overcome or play with the injury. Hard telling if Brown's is more severe or if George had a higher pain threshold.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shader » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:16 pm

George had a higher pain threshold for sure. But he was really bad when he had the turf-toe. That was the beginning of the end for George.

I'm not sure what's worse, a back who gets 90-100 yards in the first half, than leaves the game because of pain or a back who plays the whole game and averages 2.7 ypc.

If I was Jeff Fisher/Floyd Reese, I'd call Saban and offer a 3rd or 4th rounder for Ricky Williams.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby LT Blue Colt » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:20 pm

FantasyMoneyMan wrote:Brown does not have a solid frame and runs to straight up. He has skills, but with his running style, he takes to many hard hits. He has the skills, but he has to avoid the injury.

And very suseptable to fumbles.
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby tpetty6320 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:37 pm

Shader wrote:George had a higher pain threshold for sure. But he was really bad when he had the turf-toe. That was the beginning of the end for George.

I'm not sure what's worse, a back who gets 90-100 yards in the first half, than leaves the game because of pain or a back who plays the whole game and averages 2.7 ypc.

If I was Jeff Fisher/Floyd Reese, I'd call Saban and offer a 3rd or 4th rounder for Ricky Williams.

thats not a bad idea. brown has to atleast make it 4 games before breaking down..........
tpetty6320
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:57 pm

Shader wrote:If I was Jeff Fisher/Floyd Reese, I'd call Saban and offer a 3rd or 4th rounder for Ricky Williams.

I completely agree. Whoever takes the chance on trading for RW is going to be very happy.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pirate of the Carib » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:53 pm

Shader wrote:George had a higher pain threshold for sure. But he was really bad when he had the turf-toe. That was the beginning of the end for George.

If I were Saban then would probably accept that trade. The Dolphins are building for the future. Ricky's a bad influence on the team. Plus it's not like dolphins are gonna win anything this year anyways.
Go Dolphins!!!
Pirate of the Carib
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:30 pm

Chris Brown, RB TEN

News: Titansonline.com reports that Chris Brown is healing and will be ready come training camp. "He's doing fine," head coach Jeff Fisher said. "He won't have any problems when he comes back to camp."

Analysis: Brown still isn't taking any contact for precautionary reasons, but he should be at full speed when training camp opens

Dont know if this is anything too new but thought i would post it. Sounds as though Brown will be good to start anyways. Dont know how long he will last. I might pick him up and trade him after he has a big game.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joshyboy72 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:51 pm

I drafted him Brown at 2.07 in a recent 12 team dynasty league draft...too much potential to pass on, IMO, when the only other sensible picks there were Terrell Owens and Tiki Barber. For a dynasty league...meh.

Hard to believe he's going mid to late third round in re-drafts though. That's just insanely late...looks like Henry is almost definitely going to Jacksonville right now...not to mention Brown has a very, very easy running back schedule this upcoming season, especially in the playoffs.

Unfortunately there's no real safe cutoff as of now to get for Brown...could be Nash, Payton, Joe Smith... :*)
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Flockers » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:42 pm

I drafted Chris Brown in the 3rd round as my 3rd back and/or RB/WR flex spot. I thought it was worth the gamble since I already had Edgerrin James and Clinton Portis in the first 2 rounds.
Flockers
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby daullaz » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:38 pm

joshyboy72 wrote:I drafted him Brown at 2.07 in a recent 12 team dynasty league draft...too much potential to pass on, IMO, when the only other sensible picks there were Terrell Owens and Tiki Barber. For a dynasty league...meh.

Hard to believe he's going mid to late third round in re-drafts though. That's just insanely late...looks like Henry is almost definitely going to Jacksonville right now...not to mention Brown has a very, very easy running back schedule this upcoming season, especially in the playoffs.

Unfortunately there's no real safe cutoff as of now to get for Brown...could be Nash, Payton, Joe Smith... :*)

I'm with you Joshy. I took Brown at 2.06 in a 16-team dynasty-league (and this was months ago). Just cause the kid was hurt last year doesn't mean he'll be hurt this year. When I saw Fred Taylor string together two completely healthy seasons in a row, I knew anyone could do it. If the Titans were overly concerned about Brown's health, they would have drafted a RB a lot higher than they did, since as you eluded to, they have slim pickins for RB depth. Anybody drafting Brown so far this year is getting great value.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk