Carson Palmer - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Carson Palmer

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:52 pm

Consider the following:

Palmer's first half of his starts had an average QB rating roughly 30 points lower than his second half of his starts. In his seond half his QB Rating was above 90, and he managed 110+ QB ratings vs. squads like NE and Baltimore to finish out. He's risky, but more and more, it seems obvious that Palmer developed quite nicely last year, and will be quite the impressive QB with Chad Johnson to throw to all the time.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:55 pm

bagobonez wrote:
VaderFin wrote:I like Palmer's potential alot but no way do I take him before Favre, Collins, or Green. I do think he will surprise the average fan though.

If Kerry Collins has a better fantasy season than Trent Green I will label myself the dumbest fantasy player ever. That's just not going to happen barring injury.

Wow you got some balls making this statement. Trent Green is underrated every year.... except for this year. Collins is going to surprise.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:57 pm

BigMusky wrote:If John Kitna can break into the top 5 with the Bengals...I sure as hell believe Palmer can. Like has been said...the price is right on this guy to throw a later draft pick on instead of some cookie cutter receiver that you can find anytime.

Jon Kitna barely broke the top10
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:04 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
BigMusky wrote:If John Kitna can break into the top 5 with the Bengals...I sure as hell believe Palmer can. Like has been said...the price is right on this guy to throw a later draft pick on instead of some cookie cutter receiver that you can find anytime.

It's still Jon Kitna. If he can do it, Palmer can surely reach higher marks than Kitna did.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BeefSandwiches » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:22 pm

joshyboy72 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:
VaderFin wrote:I like Palmer's potential alot but no way do I take him before Favre, Collins, or Green. I do think he will surprise the average fan though.

If Kerry Collins has a better fantasy season than Trent Green I will label myself the dumbest fantasy player ever. That's just not going to happen barring injury.

You don't think Collins has the potential to throw 30 touchdown passes this season? Not saying he will...but I can almost guarantee Green won't...and for the first time in four years, I can almost guarantee Green won't improve on his past season's numbers. I expect him to have a solid year as always, but IMO to finally be drafted ahead of his true value.

I agree here. Green's true value has finally caught up with him and he is no longer the pseudo-sleeper he was in years past. Still a great QB to have on your roster, but in most drafts he'll be within the first 5-6 QBs off the board.

Back on topic...I would love to have Palmer as my backup and will probably take him relatively early for a backup QB if he's around, but I would be apprehensive if he were my main guy heading into the season.
BeefSandwiches
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Azrael » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:56 pm

Go with Palmer with no regrets. One of the keys to picking up a solid late round fantasy QB is observing what they did down the stretch of the previous year and Palmer was fantastic. These types of picks don't exist every year but I used the same analysis to draft Hasselbeck in the 7th round or so in 2003. He won't be the greatest this year but he'll be a hands down solid fantasy starter this year. Since you know you can get him in the 8th or 9th round, that means you've got a leg up on your competitors; because anytime you know you have a starter that late you can draft studs elsewhere at other positions.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby BigMusky » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:05 pm

Kensat30 wrote:

sorry...he was 7th with default yahoo scoring.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby catch22 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:21 pm

Flux wrote:People are way too low on Favre every year, and he tends to do very well. In my money/keeper league he has finished 4th among QBs the past 2 years, and is generally picked way late.

Green is always consistent, and do you really think that Collins w/ Moss and Porter and now a running game is going to do poorly?

Look, im a huge bengals fan, and have nothing but GREAT things to say about Carson, but until he can do what he did for those few games over an entire year, then he just isnt yet worth as high of a pick as a lot of people are taking him at. Hes going to play BAL and PIT twice a year, and thats just tough. Yes I realize he put up great #s vs some tough D's last year, but he also put up some bad #s vs bad teams. The guy is young still

Now talk to me next year and Ill more than likely call him a top 5 QB, but its still a bit early for that

Couldnt agree more.....
"If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is.......... it's you."

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!!
catch22
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:18 pm

BigMusky wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:

sorry...he was 7th with default yahoo scoring.

In 2003, the top 5 or 6 QBs were ahead of the pack, anywhere from 30-50 points in a standard scoring system. I don't really have too many leagues that use yahoo public scoring, because I think it's for amateurs, but that is besides the point. In a standard scoring system (1/25 passing, 4 pt TD,-2 Int) The #10 QB was half a TD pass behind Jon Kitna, while the #5 QB was 5 TDs ahead of Kitna. In other words, he barely made the top10... and that was a down year for QBs.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby BigMusky » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:21 pm

they were bunched up pretty good that year. With the yahoo scoring if you add 20 points to Kitna he was #3, but if you take 20 points away he would be #12.

If you dont mind PM'ing for sake of not highjacking this thread...why is a yardage heavy scoring system more advanced then a TD heavy scoring?
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk