Considering Moss 4th overall - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Considering Moss 4th overall

Moderator: Football Moderators

Considering Moss 4th overall

Postby Shader » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:28 pm

First of all, to drink this kool-aid, you have to think Moss will have an absolutely unbelievable year. I personally think it will be his best year ever.

2nd of all, realize that if I had the 4th spot and wanted Moss, I would certainly try to trade down so as not to waste the spot.

However.....

Every rb behind LT, Alexander, and Holmes (who scares me, but I'd take him 3rd in a heartbeat) have major issues that make me question whether to take them. I can't seem to decide between Deuce, Portis, Lewis, etc..

But the one thing I do know for certain is that Randy Moss will have an unbelievable year. I think he will be the number 1 receiver by a pretty wide margin, and so picking him at 4 for me would not be out of the question.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:33 pm

I'm not as sold on Moss as most people. If Owens ends up playing, I bet Owens out-produces him. Everyone gets so caught up in the fact that Moss and Porter will be on the same team, and that Kerry Collins throws a good long ball, yada, yada, yada.

What they forget is that Norv Turner didn't bring Lamont Jordan in to see him get 15-20 carries a game. They're going to feed Lamont the ball 25-30 times a game unless they're playing catchup alot. They will throw when they have to, otherwise it's going to be a conservative, eat-the-clock, control-the-ball type of offense. That's what Norv Turner does. I think Moss is hugely overated this year, and there's no way I'd take him over stud RB's like Jamal Lewis, Deuce McAllister or Edgerrin James.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kensat30 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:34 pm

bagobonez wrote:I'm not as sold on Moss as most people. If Owens ends up playing, I bet Owens out-produces him. Everyone gets so caught up in the fact that Moss and Porter will be on the same team, and that Kerry Collins throws a good long ball, yada, yada, yada.

What they forget is that Norv Turner didn't bring Lamont Jordan in to see him get 15-20 carries a game. They're going to feed Lamont the ball 25-30 times a game <b>unless they're playing catchup alot. They will throw when they have to</b>, otherwise it's going to be a conservative, eat-the-clock, control-the-ball type of offense. That's what Norv Turner does. I think Moss is hugely overated this year, and there's no way I'd take him over stud RB's like Jamal Lewis, Deuce McAllister or Edgerrin James.

Bingo
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:37 pm

Yeah try to trade down to the #5 spot. See if the #5 owner will give you his 5th-8th pick to move up one spot. Tell him that LT, Priest, SA, and Peyton Manning will be gone by number five so this is his chance to grab one of the marquee players.

Personally, I wouldnt take Moss this high. I would stand pat at 4 and take one of the 4 players mentioned above. I hope to hell Moss does have his best year ever because I have him in my money keeper league, but Im not as confident as you mainly because of last years injury and Kerry Collins will be throwing him the ball. :-o
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Shader » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:37 pm

I guess that is the problem. I don't see how someone can call Deuce McAllister a stud. Sure, he has the potential to be a stud, but after his performance last year, are we sure he's going to be that good this year?

Is Peyton going to keep stealing td's from Edgerrin?

I think Jamal lewis is shaping up to be a pretty solid choice, imo, for the 4th rb spot, but he brings a decent amount of "baggage" to the table as well.

And Moss doesn't need the ball that much. Turner will pound, pound, pound, and than throw it to Moss deep all year long, and that is going to be virtually unstoppable to defenses.

The one thing Minnesota never did was develop a great running game to complement Moss, which was a huge mistake.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:38 pm

bagobonez wrote:I'm not as sold on Moss as most people. If Owens ends up playing, I bet Owens out-produces him. Everyone gets so caught up in the fact that Moss and Porter will be on the same team, and that Kerry Collins throws a good long ball, yada, yada, yada.

What they forget is that Norv Turner didn't bring Lamont Jordan in to see him get 15-20 carries a game. They're going to feed Lamont the ball 25-30 times a game unless they're playing catchup alot. They will throw when they have to, otherwise it's going to be a conservative, eat-the-clock, control-the-ball type of offense. That's what Norv Turner does. I think Moss is hugely overated this year, and there's no way I'd take him over stud RB's like Jamal Lewis, Deuce McAllister or Edgerrin James.

And they didnt bring Moss in to just be a decoy...
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Flux » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:45 pm

Shader wrote:I guess that is the problem. I don't see how someone can call Deuce McAllister a stud. Sure, he has the potential to be a stud, but after his performance last year, are we sure he's going to be that good this year?

Is Peyton going to keep stealing td's from Edgerrin?

I think Jamal lewis is shaping up to be a pretty solid choice, imo, for the 4th rb spot, but he brings a decent amount of "baggage" to the table as well.

And Moss doesn't need the ball that much. Turner will pound, pound, pound, and than throw it to Moss deep all year long, and that is going to be virtually unstoppable to defenses.

The one thing Minnesota never did was develop a great running game to complement Moss, which was a huge mistake.

Thats not entirely true. Sure last year they werent that great, but they have been very good in the running game before.

2004 - 18th
2003 - 4th
2002 - 1st
2001 - 26th
2000 - 6th

I dont have the 99 or 98 stats, but in the past 5 years, they have had 3 very good years, and 2 poor years. The point though is that he has had a good running game in the past
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:31 pm

Flux wrote:

And they didnt bring Moss in to just be a decoy...

No, but I don't see Norv Turner changing teh way he has coached football for years upon years just because he has a great WR. In my opinion, Moss was brought in to open up the running game a bit more, and because when they do have to throw it, they will be actually be able to. I mean, call me crazy, but I just don't see ol' Norv going to a Rams' style offense. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Moss is a bit overvalued, especially since he was injured last year.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:33 pm

Plain and simple - Do not draft Moss #4 overall. Someone will want the 4th spot b/c they could possible land SA, Priest, or Manning. You should trade down and grab him with the 8th, 9th, or 10th pick if you really really want him. That way, you can still get your guy but also pickup something or move up spots later on in the draft depending on your trade.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:29 pm

J2thez929 wrote:Plain and simple - Do not draft Moss #4 overall. Someone will want the 4th spot b/c they could possible land SA, Priest, or Manning. You should trade down and grab him with the 8th, 9th, or 10th pick if you really really want him. That way, you can still get your guy but also pickup something or move up spots later on in the draft depending on your trade.

Nice post!

Yeah, look at it like the NFL Drafters do. There's a player that you value highly, but you know he can be had later in the draft. You then trade down for someone who wants a player with more perceived value. That way you still get your guy plus another guy higher up on your cheat sheet. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk