Considering Moss 4th overall - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Considering Moss 4th overall

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:40 pm

Shader wrote:Is Peyton going to keep stealing td's from Edgerrin?

Jeez..Not this again....
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:41 pm

Shader - Im with you on this. Moss is fantasy gold - pure and simple. In keeper leagues he's a top 5 pick all day. For redraft I absolutely see where you are coming from. While I agree that trading out of that spot would be the best case scenario, I also think that trading down isnt as easy as it sounds.

I know in our keeper I felt extremely fortunate to land Moss with the 8th overall pick last yr. So far this offseason Ive had 3 inquiries for him. I doubt I would trade him for anything less than LT in a 1 for 1 deal right now.

Moss will approach 20+ TDs this season - watch. 8-o
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Azrael » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:47 pm

If you really love Moss trade down about 3 or 4 spots. I really haven't seen him go higher than 7. Antsports currently has him going at 1.10 in 12 team drafts, but I'd probably pick him at 7 unless I can start 3 RBs.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:55 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Moss will approach 20+ TDs this season - watch. 8-o

Doubtful - he never got more than 17 in his career and those were in the days where he got 2 games a year against the sieve otherwise known as the Detroit defense and 2 games against the not exactly better Packers D.

While the KC defense is about on par (possibly a bit worse but not much) with those two, the SD and Denver defenses are not...

Plus, we are still talking about Collins at QB, and while I am not as down on him as many around here are, he isn't exactly known for his consistency or accuracy...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Ripcord » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:02 pm

Moss at 4 bad

moss at 9 good

nuff said
"To get the full affects of it you really have to be in my seat"
Ripcord
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Flux » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:04 pm

bagobonez wrote:
Flux wrote:
bagobonez wrote:I'm not as sold on Moss as most people. If Owens ends up playing, I bet Owens out-produces him. Everyone gets so caught up in the fact that Moss and Porter will be on the same team, and that Kerry Collins throws a good long ball, yada, yada, yada.

What they forget is that Norv Turner didn't bring Lamont Jordan in to see him get 15-20 carries a game. They're going to feed Lamont the ball 25-30 times a game unless they're playing catchup alot. They will throw when they have to, otherwise it's going to be a conservative, eat-the-clock, control-the-ball type of offense. That's what Norv Turner does. I think Moss is hugely overated this year, and there's no way I'd take him over stud RB's like Jamal Lewis, Deuce McAllister or Edgerrin James.

And they didnt bring Moss in to just be a decoy...

No, but I don't see Norv Turner changing teh way he has coached football for years upon years just because he has a great WR. In my opinion, Moss was brought in to open up the running game a bit more, and because when they do have to throw it, they will be actually be able to. I mean, call me crazy, but I just don't see ol' Norv going to a Rams' style offense. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Moss is a bit overvalued, especially since he was injured last year.

Whats more likely? They give the ball to the FA that can make the biggest impact and are paying the most money to, or the FA who has been a lifetime backup RB who has proven NOTHING in the NFL and is in Moss' shadow?

Its not changing Norv's offense, its just utilizing the long ball more than he used to. Jordan will still get 20+ carries a game, but that still leaves plenty for Moss
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:35 am

The Scenario: Oakland has lost 2 games and Norv Turner has been using Lamont Jordan very effectively but the poor Oakland D has just not got it done. Moss has had a few balls thrown his way but not nearly what he is use to.

Moss: (Ring)(Ring) Mr. Davis? It's Randy. They aren't getting me the ball man!

Mr. Davis: Randy, my boy. You are so right. I'll take care of it.

Mr. Davis: (Ring) (Ring) TURNER? GET RANDY THE DAMN BALL NOW!!!!! DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?????

Norv: Yes, Mr. Davis.

New Scenario: Jordan gets 10 carries and Randy has 150 yards receiving and 2 TDs.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Shader » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:56 am

Al Davis just got the best toy possible...the best receiver in football, and possibly the most talented receiver ever. And you think he's going to let Jordan steal all of Moss' thunder?

Getting a back 20-25 carries a game doesn't limit the production of a receiver.

My league gives extra points for 40+ yard touchdowns. I think Moss might have 10 of those.
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Considering Moss 4th overall

Postby aussieboy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:57 am

Shader wrote:First of all, to drink this kool-aid, you have to think Moss will have an absolutely unbelievable year. I personally think it will be his best year ever.

2nd of all, realize that if I had the 4th spot and wanted Moss, I would certainly try to trade down so as not to waste the spot.

However.....

Every rb behind LT, Alexander, and Holmes (who scares me, but I'd take him 3rd in a heartbeat) have major issues that make me question whether to take them. I can't seem to decide between Deuce, Portis, Lewis, etc..

But the one thing I do know for certain is that Randy Moss will have an unbelievable year. I think he will be the number 1 receiver by a pretty wide margin, and so picking him at 4 for me would not be out of the question.

You're saying that you are worried about the RB after the top 3 because they all have question marks about them. Well Moss is coming off an injury plagued season and is moving to a new team. Isn't that a question mark? Why are you so certain that Moss is going to dominate? I'm not saying that Moss won't have a great season (I was one of the teams that inquired about the availability of Moss from Corny, to no avail), i'm just saying that Moss isn't the dead lock certainty this year.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Shader » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:18 am

I think the fact that he's moving to a new team is great for him. Collins best asset is his long ball, which happens to be Moss' best asset.

I think Collins will probably still throw 15-20 int's, but he'll also hook up with MOSS for 20 td's as well.

JMO
Shader
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk