Considering Moss 4th overall - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Considering Moss 4th overall

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:37 am

A lot of my confidence in Moss - even though he is switching teams - is due to the fact that he has performed at an elite level with many different QBs in MIN. He's one of the only players in the NFL that transends the concept that situation determines production - his talent determines the situation.

I also see the lack of defense for the Raiders as a huge positive for Moss.

I do have a question though - has anyone heard anything about his injury recently? Is Moss proacticing at full speed (or top summer speed) currently?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:41 am

lmcjaho wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Moss will approach 20+ TDs this season - watch. 8-o

Doubtful - he never got more than 17 in his career and those were in the days where he got 2 games a year against the sieve otherwise known as the Detroit defense and 2 games against the not exactly better Packers D.

While the KC defense is about on par (possibly a bit worse but not much) with those two, the SD and Denver defenses are not...

Plus, we are still talking about Collins at QB, and while I am not as down on him as many around here are, he isn't exactly known for his consistency or accuracy...

He was on pace for well over 20 last yr actually - before his injury sidelined him.

Good point about the SoS - I just dont see much difference between, the AFC W's poor secondaries compared to the NFC N's.

Collins is about as accurate as Cpepp - if not more accurate, but thats a topic that we discussed a while back. We'll see.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PackerAttack84 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:20 am

If you end up staying at #4 and not taking Moss, I would definitely take Jamal Lewis, he will run like crazy and score a lot of touchdowns. I think if you trade down to get Moss you should aim at 7-9, 9 if you can get him there because then you'll have a better second round pick and could hopefully get someone who slides out of the first round.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moose_ffc » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:02 pm

Moss at 4th?

I say go for it (in three or more wr league) if you believe in the guy.

In a 2 WR league, it isn't THAT crazy, so if you believe ... do it and don't look back!
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:08 pm

Personally, I wouldn't take Moss that high. It's a risky proposition when players switch teams. I think Manning is a better bet to be the best QB by a wide margin than Moss is at WR. What if Jordan is a bust? 8 home games are now outdoors rather than indoors/on turf... Collins is no Daunte... etc.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Considering Moss 4th overall

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:54 pm

Shader wrote:First of all, to drink this kool-aid, you have to think Moss will have an absolutely unbelievable year. I personally think it will be his best year ever.

2nd of all, realize that if I had the 4th spot and wanted Moss, I would certainly try to trade down so as not to waste the spot.

However.....

Every rb behind LT, Alexander, and Holmes (who scares me, but I'd take him 3rd in a heartbeat) have major issues that make me question whether to take them. I can't seem to decide between Deuce, Portis, Lewis, etc..

But the one thing I do know for certain is that Randy Moss will have an unbelievable year. I think he will be the number 1 receiver by a pretty wide margin, and so picking him at 4 for me would not be out of the question.

IF you do want Moss early, I think you HAVE to trade down to at least the #9 spot in the draft....

Offer the guy with the 9th pick the following:

1.04, 2.09, 4.09

for

1.09, 2.02, 4.02

Leaving you with 1.09, 2.02, 3.04, 4.02.....

Possibly you can pick up Kevin Jones and LaMont Jordan at RB, and a pretty kick ass #2 WR or stud TE at 4.02....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skinsfan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:55 pm

Best WR season this year will be from either Boldin, Andre Johnson, or Chad Johnson. My opinion is that the older guys are finally gonna start fading, like Horn, and these guys are going into the prime of their careers.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:12 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
lmcjaho wrote:

Doubtful - he never got more than 17 in his career and those were in the days where he got 2 games a year against the sieve otherwise known as the Detroit defense and 2 games against the not exactly better Packers D.

While the KC defense is about on par (possibly a bit worse but not much) with those two, the SD and Denver defenses are not...

Plus, we are still talking about Collins at QB, and while I am not as down on him as many around here are, he isn't exactly known for his consistency or accuracy...

He was on pace for well over 20 last yr actually - before his injury sidelined him.

Good point about the SoS - I just dont see much difference between, the AFC W's poor secondaries compared to the NFC N's.

Yes, but consider Oakland's non-division opponents and how they ranked against the pass last year:

New England (19th) - Moss double teamed by Rodney Harrison

Philly (12th) - Moss double teamed by Brian Dawkins

Dallas (20th) - Moss double teamed by Roy Williams

Buffalo (3rd)

Tennessee (26th) - OK, this one will be easy

Washington (7th)

Miami (1st)

NY Jets (14th)

Cleveland (5th)

NY Giants (9th)

OK, so that's 10 games.... 3 of them against top 5 secondaries... 5 of them against top 10 secondaries... 7 of them against top 15 secondaries.... 9 of them against top 20 secondaries....

And against 3 of those outside the top 10 (NE, PHI, and DAL), Moss will be double covered by All-Pro safeties....

So I'm not seeing this piece of cake schedule you're talking about.... Not at all.....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:14 pm

skinsfan wrote:Best WR season this year will be from either Boldin, Andre Johnson, or Chad Johnson. My opinion is that the older guys are finally gonna start fading, like Horn, and these guys are going into the prime of their careers.

Boldin 8-o

wow.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Flux » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:36 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
lmcjaho wrote:

Yes, but consider Oakland's non-division opponents and how they ranked against the pass last year:

New England (19th) - Moss double teamed by Rodney Harrison

Philly (12th) - Moss double teamed by Brian Dawkins

Dallas (20th) - Moss double teamed by Roy Williams

Buffalo (3rd)

Tennessee (26th) - OK, this one will be easy

Washington (7th)

Miami (1st)

NY Jets (14th)

Cleveland (5th)

NY Giants (9th)

OK, so that's 10 games.... 3 of them against top 5 secondaries... 5 of them against top 10 secondaries... 7 of them against top 15 secondaries.... 9 of them against top 20 secondaries....

And against 3 of those outside the top 10 (NE, PHI, and DAL), Moss will be double covered by All-Pro safeties....

So I'm not seeing this piece of cake schedule you're talking about.... Not at all.....

A lot of those secondaries dont look nearly the same as they did last year.
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk