Michael Clayton - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Michael Clayton

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby elblake3 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:38 pm

im from tb -clayton is a stud and gonna have bigger year

someone said before that they thought he had knee surgery??????????????????? wt u smokin but i dont feel like going back to paste it on here

go clayton and caddy!!
elblake3
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ousmagic » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:27 am

Jun 16, 2005 11:14AM ET
Clayton to miss minicamp
THE NEWS

Buccaneers' wide receiver Michael Clayton will sit out of minicamp next week to rest his surgically repaired left knee. The second-year veteran underwent surgery back in February to repair torn knee cartilage under his left kneecap. Clayton told the St. Petersburg Times on Wednesday that he has started light running of routes and has been catching passes during individual drills this week. Clayton finished last season with 80 receptions for 1,193 yards.

OUR VIEW

Michael is expected to make a full recovery before training camp opens at the end of next month. As such, fantasy owners should not move him down in the rankings. Clayton is currently listed as No. 13 in our offseason wide receiver rankings.
Ousmagic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Ousmagic » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:28 am

elblake3 wrote:im from tb -clayton is a stud and gonna have bigger year

someone said before that they thought he had knee surgery??????????????????? wt u smokin but i dont feel like going back to paste it on here

go clayton and caddy!!

i know clayton is going to be fine for training camp but yes he did have knee surgery
Ousmagic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Supernick » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:14 am

Kensat30 wrote:I read in an article recently that dimmed my expectations for Michael Clayton in '05. Granted he is already a solid option after his 1st year, but for those expecting massive improvement in year 2 should temper their enthusiasm.

Out of the last 20 rookie WRs who led their class in fantasy points in their rookie season, <b>95%</b> DECLINED in their sophmore season. Granted a lot of the WRs may have dropped less than 1 ppg in their scoring, but for anyone who thinks that Clayton is poised to take a big step forward (or even a small step for that matter), history is strongly against him.

Then again 1200/8 would be a step backwards for Clayton, so this is nothing to be too worried about. Just don't expect him to breakout and become a stud.

i'm glad, my topic got a lot of reactions. ;-D i don't care about this article that i've quoted, i'm sure Clayton is one of those 5% and he's not gonna slump.
Supernick
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:03 am

I personally will jump on him when someonescared of a sophomore slump passes on him for darrell Jackson or Donald Driver. Stats can be decieving. A lot of recievers flamed out, or got injred, but many of those receivers didn't put up 1200 and 8 too...
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:29 am

aussieboy wrote:
bagobonez wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I read in an article recently that dimmed my expectations for Michael Clayton in '05. Granted he is already a solid option after his 1st year, but for those expecting massive improvement in year 2 should temper their enthusiasm.

Out of the last 20 rookie WRs who led their class in fantasy points in their rookie season, <b>95%</b> DECLINED in their sophmore season. Granted a lot of the WRs may have dropped less than 1 ppg in their scoring, but for anyone who thinks that Clayton is poised to take a big step forward (or even a small step for that matter), history is strongly against him.

Then again 1200/8 would be a step backwards for Clayton, so this is nothing to be too worried about. Just don't expect him to breakout and become a stud.

That's an outstanding stat. 95%. I'm staying away from him if there's proven guys like Donald Driver or Darrell Jackson available.

That's a solid strategy if you're looking to just make the playoffs, and not really dominate your league.

Invariably the teams that win their respective leagues and have dominant seasons are the ones whose owners took risks during the draft and selected players based on predictions and potential. Every season there is a team that looks amazing on paper based on the previous seasons numbers, quite often it is this team that struggles to maintain midtable position simply because things change. If you're in it to win it, take a risk. Mind you this strategy may also result in you totally missing the playoffs,I suppose it depends what your goals are.

Anyway, i'd like to know if it's possibly to filter that 95% stat to only include guys that put up 1200 and 8 in thier rookie season (virtually what Clayton did), and weren't injured the following season. My guess would be that those would be the guys in the 5% minority.

I've tried it both ways, and taking alot of risks is a good way to sink your team. Risky players are risky for a reason; they have considerable downside. My goal is to make it to the playoffs, and from there, anything can happen. A guy like Darrell Jackson, barring injury, is pretty much money for 1,100 yards and 7-9 TD's. Michael Clayton could exceed that, but what's his ceiling? Do you really see a guy like Clayton making a leap into the upper echelon and getting 1,300 and 10-12 TD's? I don't.

Look at all the stud WR's from last year, and the QB's they had.

Moss - Culpepper
Owens - McNabb
Holt - Bulger
Walker - Favre
Muhammad - Delhomme
Harrison - Manning
Wayne - Manning
Horn - Brooks

All of the QB's on that list had good or great fantasy seasons. THey were at least starting material. Now does anyone see Brian Griese starting for their fantasy team this year? I don't think so. Clayton will not have a stellar year. 1,200 and 8 would be his ceiling IMHO. I think the only WR that had a great year last year without a stud QB was Drew Bennett, and his season was fluky towards the end, and I think we all know it won't happen again.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:51 am

I'm not saying that Clayton is a lock to repeat, but Griese when he took over was averaging about what Brooks was averaging. So if Brooks could get Joe Horn to an elite level, its possible with Griese cemented at starter, and a running game to complement Clayton, that he break into the top 10.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Crafty » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:01 pm

I don't regard Clayton as a risk. Hell, he's money compared to D-Jax (questions regarding a viable #2 and Alexander's holdout) and Driver (historically inconsistent as hell). Also, remember that Griese, according to Chucky, is more accurate and sharper than last year.
Fortune favours the bold.
Crafty
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Homeless » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:52 pm

Homeless wrote:I like the kid, not sure im as high on him as some are. Didnt he just have knee surgery ?

elblake3 wrote:im from tb -clayton is a stud and gonna have bigger year

go clayton and caddy!!

Ousmagic wrote:Jun 16, 2005 11:14AM ET
Clayton to miss minicamp
THE NEWS

Buccaneers' wide receiver Michael Clayton will sit out of minicamp next week to rest his surgically repaired left knee. The second-year veteran underwent surgery back in February to repair torn knee cartilage under his left kneecap. Clayton told the St. Petersburg Times on Wednesday that he has started light running of routes and has been catching passes during individual drills this week. Clayton finished last season with 80 receptions for 1,193 yards.

OUR VIEW

Michael is expected to make a full recovery before training camp opens at the end of next month. As such, fantasy owners should not move him down in the rankings. Clayton is currently listed as No. 13 in our offseason wide receiver rankings.

Thanks Ousmagic !! ;-D

I guess whatever im smoking, you should try it too elblake3 :-b
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby Tiki » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:10 pm

I don' think he has proved himself to rank him over a stud WR like Horn! But, I do think he has a ton a of potential ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk