Benson has the early edge - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Benson has the early edge

Moderator: Football Moderators

Benson has the early edge

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:16 am

The coaches have been impressed, and seems they have given him a slight edge over Jones. I think this might take him up a few notches, at least temporarily, on my draft board. This is pretty much as I expected. The Bears don't like leaving a guy on the bench that they get all hot and bothered about.

Thomas Jones: Will Compete with Cedric Benson for Job

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.comFriday, July 8, 2005 Update: According to Bears' running backs coach Tim Spencer, Jones will compete with rookie Cedric Benson for the starting job during training camp, the team's official site reports. Recommendation: "I think it will be extremely competitive," Spencer said of the training camp battle. "Both of them want to play. When Thomas came here last year, he felt that he was going to be the guy and he's not going to step down, certainly not for any young guy coming in. And then you've got a young guy coming up who wants to prove to everybody that he's capable of being the guy...As we get a little bit further along, we'll be able to figure out exactly who can do this and who can do that a little bit better and we'll have a pretty nice plan." To this point, the team seems to believe that Jones and Benson can both be productive in the offense. However, Chicago has been extremely impressed with Benson during offseason workouts, possibly giving the rookie the upper hand on the starting spot. Stay tuned for more in the coming weeks.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4887
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Who?

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:40 am

This is the kinda info I love seeing. I'm so sick of fantasy sites that just say "our sources" and never ever quote anyone from the team. This is legit info that can really help. Not some lame site using newspaper reports to claim they have info!
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:58 am

I know pretty much no one has signed but here is a Chicago article talking about the possibility of Benson holding out some. This might be the case for everyone in the top half of the draft but here it is none the less.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cs ... ear08.html
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Postby kevinoc81 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:25 am

The biggest problem that I hear with Benson, and R. Brown for that matter, is that generally, the #1 pick signs first, then the #2, #3, #4, etc. because each is used as a guage as to what the next guy should make.

It all depends on when A. Smith signs, but both the Bears and Dolphins starting training camp early because of the HOF Game, making chances of missing time more likely.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2603
Joined: 5 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:57 am

VaderFin wrote:This is the kinda info I love seeing. I'm so sick of fantasy sites that just say "our sources" and never ever quote anyone from the team. This is legit info that can really help. Not some lame site using newspaper reports to claim they have info!


Just so you know - the highlighted portion of the article that Sixx posted was an opinion - in fact the entire tone of the article is opinionated.

The portion that wasnt opinion really hasent changed from their original stance: its a competition and there is room for both in this offense.

For some reason Rotowire has been pushing Benson since he was drafted. There is no news or quotes that support their bias. Again - the quoted coach gave NO INDICATION who had the upper hand - yet from reading Rotowire's take on the situation, you believed Benson had the upper hand. Dont you find that interesting?

Last I read, TJones was getting more carries with the first team offense than Benson. Has that changed?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:33 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
VaderFin wrote:This is the kinda info I love seeing. I'm so sick of fantasy sites that just say "our sources" and never ever quote anyone from the team. This is legit info that can really help. Not some lame site using newspaper reports to claim they have info!


Just so you know - the highlighted portion of the article that Sixx posted was an opinion - in fact the entire tone of the article is opinionated.

The portion that wasnt opinion really hasent changed from their original stance: its a competition and there is room for both in this offense.

For some reason Rotowire has been pushing Benson since he was drafted. There is no news or quotes that support their bias. Again - the quoted coach gave NO INDICATION who had the upper hand - yet from reading Rotowire's take on the situation, you believed Benson had the upper hand. Dont you find that interesting?

Last I read, TJones was getting more carries with the first team offense than Benson. Has that changed?



Oh, I'm quite capable of telling where the quotes start and where they end. That being said, I still prefer to see coaches quoted when possible.
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Postby Flux » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:38 am

Anyone know off the top of their heads how long TJ is signed for?
Image
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6113
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:42 am

Flux wrote:Anyone know off the top of their heads how long TJ is signed for?



Don't quote me on this, but I think he signed a four year deal last Spring.... So it expires after the 2007 season....
Image

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10241
Joined: 19 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Richmond, VA

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:45 am

Plindsey88 wrote:
Flux wrote:Anyone know off the top of their heads how long TJ is signed for?



Don't quote me on this, but I think he signed a four year deal last Spring.... So it expires after the 2007 season....


not that contract really matter in the NFL since the teams can back out at any given time. :-/
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5924
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:50 pm

Okay, maybe I got a little suckered in by the article, but I still believe that this is what will happen when it comes down to the wire: Benson gets the bulk of the carries, and TJ turns into James Allen. Only real concern is if he picks up the blocking schemes or not. This often kills rookie RB's value, as they just can't afford to have a guy that can run, but might get your QB killed.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4887
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Who?

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 2:26 hours
(and 56 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact