Benson has the early edge - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Benson has the early edge

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:52 pm

it doesn't matter to the player, but it matters to the team's salary cap, which is a reason to keep him.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby MadScott » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:50 pm

Wasn't it just last year that Lovie was saying how much he wanted to emulate the Rams/Chiefs style offense using TJ as the feature back? Not sure Ced fits that mold. At any rate, you also don't draft a guy to sit. I think this season is the worst of both worlds for both guys. I think they both share a lot of time.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:36 pm

MadScott wrote:Wasn't it just last year that Lovie was saying how much he wanted to emulate the Rams/Chiefs style offense using TJ as the feature back? Not sure Ced fits that mold. At any rate, you also don't draft a guy to sit. I think this season is the worst of both worlds for both guys. I think they both share a lot of time.

I recall Lovie calling him the next Priest Holmes. How did Jones fall that far out of favor with Lovie?

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:01 pm

MadScott wrote:Wasn't it just last year that Lovie was saying how much he wanted to emulate the Rams/Chiefs style offense using TJ as the feature back? Not sure Ced fits that mold. At any rate, you also don't draft a guy to sit. I think this season is the worst of both worlds for both guys. I think they both share a lot of time.

That was when he came in, he has since said that he realizes he doesn't have the personnel for that type of offense and brought in a new OC with the intent of turning the team into a Ravens mold that involves pound good defense and a grinder workhorse power RB, and Benson certainly fits that mold. That's the entire reason they drafted him in the first place, to fill that role.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby VHawk15 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:27 am

Additional Benson news:

Fanball.com wrote:News
Don't look for Cedric Benson to be in uniform when the Bears open training camp. That's the word from the Chicago Sun-Times; it seems the Bears are concerned that since their July 23 reporting date is the earliest in the league their number one draft pick won't have a contract signed in time. As the fourth overall pick, Benson's deal will likely need to be slotted in after No. 1 overall pick Alex Smith signs his contract. The problem is, the 49ers don't report until July 28.

Views
Here's hoping Benson doesn't arrive too late. While running back remains the easiest skill position for a rookie to come in and pick up, incumbent starter Thomas Jones will be in camp on time and is not ready to relinquish his starting job.

Rotowire wrote:Update: There is a solid chance that the Bears will not have come to terms with Benson by the time training camp rolls around on July 23rd, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Recommendation: As the fourth overall pick in the 2005 draft, Benson will likely command about $15 million in total bonus money, but don't expect the players at the top of the draft to start signing in droves until Alex Smith, the top pick, signs and thus sets the barometer. The Bears' reporting date, which is earlier than any other team's, would seem to work against Benson, but one thing that could motivate the running back to get a deal done is that he is set to battle with Thomas Jones for the starting RB job and a holdout would definitely not help his cause.

PFS wrote:According to the Chicago Sun-Times, two weeks from today, the Bears will be in 11th-hour negotiations to get running back Cedric Benson to training camp on time. That is, of course, if a deal is not struck before then, but the chances of that happening aren't good for a number of reasons, the first being that the Bears' July 23 reporting date is earlier than any other team's. Consider also that in many cases, contracts fall like dominoes, and as of Thursday, only two players drafted on the first day had agreed to deals, one of them Bears wide receiver Mark Bradley. Bradley, a second-round pick from Oklahoma, signed for five years at $4.28 million and will count $690,000 against the team's rookie pool of $4,297,580. The players at the top of the draft are waiting to see what riches are bestowed upon quarterback Alex Smith, the No. 1 pick by the San Francisco 49ers, who don't open camp until July 28. His agent, Tom Condon, has talked at length with the 49ers, but there's no urgency for him to finish a deal. After Smith signs, Benson might want to see what Miami's Ronnie Brown and Cleveland's Braylon Edwards receive. The Browns don't open camp for three weeks. Parker would not comment on negotiations, but brief talks between him and the team have been only preliminary, and he won't be getting down to business this weekend as he will be attending the wedding of another client, Bears quarterback Rex Grossman. Parker and the Bears have negotiated first-round deals in three of the last four years. All were ready to go on time except for wide receiver David Terrell, who was 11 days late in 2001.

Insight: The fact that he'll have to battle incumbent RB Thomas Jones for the starting job in training camp is one thing the Bears will use as incentive for Benson to sign on time. Even if Benson does hold out (as long as it isn't a prolonged holdout), it would likely only delay - not change - the Bears' plan of making Benson the starter before midseason (if not much sooner). As of right now, draft Benson as a #3 RB with a chance to become a #2 later in the season. (RichardFung/PFSi)

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:13 am

So I take it you HAVE to be signed to go to mini-camp? He can't just play through camp while negotiating, or is it just that it would be a bad business move because he could get hurt or look bad in the middle of negotiations?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby MadScott » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:13 am

Free Bagel wrote:So I take it you HAVE to be signed to go to mini-camp? He can't just play through camp while negotiating, or is it just that it would be a bad business move because he could get hurt or look bad in the middle of negotiations?

It's bad business I believe as I don't think that there is anything that can hold you back from participating.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk