Bears #2 WR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bears #2 WR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bears #2 WR

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:43 am

From ESPN:

Berrian and Justin Gage are expected to be the top contenders for the Bears' No. 2 receiver job behind Muhsin Muhammad, the team's official site reports.

Bears wide receivers coach Darryl Drake said, "it's very competitive right now. You've got Justin Gage and Bernard Berrian and it's kind of been going back and forth. Neither one has backed down. Justin had the first shot and Bernard hasn't backed down. In fact, he's raised his level of play." The speedy Berrian, who displayed improved pass-catching ability during offseason practices, needs to get stronger, but if he can demonstrate that he's not going to be pushed around, he could emerge as a fantasy sleeper this season.

Berrian is definitely a sleeper worth keeping an eye on in a Dynasty league and has a 4th receiver with potential for your Redraft.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PackerAttack84 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:50 am

If he gets playing time it would probably be in 3 wide receiver sets. Muhsin will be the #1 receiver and Bobby Wade will probably be their #2 wideout.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:53 am

PackerAttack84 wrote:If he gets playing time it would probably be in 3 wide receiver sets. Muhsin will be the #1 receiver and Bobby Wade will probably be their #2 wideout.

Did you read the above quote? Something tells me the Bears WR coach has a decent idea who might be #2.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PackerAttack84 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:00 am

Here are two quotes from ESPN Insider....

ESPN Insider wrote:Chicago Bears: No. 2 WR
The only absolute in the Bears' passing game is that UFA acquisition Muhsin Muhammad is the go-to guy in the passing game. He is a nightmare matchup for smaller and less physical corners. However, the starting spot on the other side is totally up for grabs.

The favorite to nail down the job going into training camp is young Bobby Wade, who had 42 receptions in 2004. Wade is more quick than fast, and tends to get his routes jumped when he's on the perimeter. When he's in the slot, he can use his quickness to find open spots in the defense. In a perfect world, he would be the No. 3 slot receiver.

Young Justin Gage could be a nice fit as the No. 2 WR because he has great size, good vertical speed and solid hands. He's also a nice red-zone target. Second-year player Bernard Berrian is also in the mix, but he seems to be one of those "builds speed as he goes" receivers -- not an ideal attribute to play on the perimeter.

The guy to watch is second-round draft pick Mark Bradley of Oklahoma. He has size and outstanding deep speed and is exactly what the Bears are looking for as a No. 2 WR. Bradley might be a developmental project who needs at least one year to be ready.

Look for a good training camp battle between Wade and Gage, with Bradley and Berrian brought along slowly, and expect Wade to emerge as the starter.

ESPN Insider wrote:Bobby Wade (Chicago): In two seasons, Wade has yet to score his first touchdown, but that should (and had better) change in 2005. Wade will work opposite Muhammad, who figures to draw the bulk of the attention from opposition secondaries, and should find more room in which to operate. What will help even more, though, is if quarterback Rex Grossman returns from the 2004 knee injury that limited him to three starts and provides much-needed stability to what has been a revolving-door position in Chicago the last several years.
PackerAttack84
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:03 am

Yeah, but how old is that? I'll take a quote from the teams Coach over a no quote article. Both from ESPN at that. :-b
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:08 am

I am going to have to agree with Vader.

The coach is a better source than just an ESPN quote and from the quote I only get that they are speculating on the starter. It mentions that the favorite going into training camp is Wade. It also says Gage could be the number 2 which is what Vaders article says.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby skinsfan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:09 am

I see Gage getting the #2, but until Grossman proves himself I wouldn't even gamble on Muhamedd who is notoriously inconsistent throughout his career. He has only had two great seasons, the rest have been so-so to above average.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby VaderFin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:10 am

I think alot of Fantasy players are going to know about Gage and have him on their radar. Berrian is the sleeper type who MIGHT be a help to your team and not as well known.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kevinoc81 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:28 am

PackerAttack84 wrote:If he gets playing time it would probably be in 3 wide receiver sets. Muhsin will be the #1 receiver and Bobby Wade will probably be their #2 wideout.

All the talk here in Chicago has been about Gage vs. Berrian for the #2 spot. There is very little talk about Wade at all.
kevinoc81
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:39 am

It's the Bears' WR's guys....it's irrelevant! Besides, with so little talent at the position, it could be one guy starting the season, and another guy taking #2 in week 2. I try not to listen too closely to the reports when there are position battles between low caliber players, because you can just never really tell. But my bets are on Berrian to win the role before the end of the year.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Football Talk