Who was the preseason steal of you r draft? Dumbest move? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who was the preseason steal of you r draft? Dumbest move?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Joe da Shmoe » Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:58 am

I'm in 3 leagues. My steals:

League 1: NO steals or moves that were horrible IMO.

League 2: William Green in the 10th round (82nd overall pick), Marty Booker in the 11th round (99th overall pick), and Stallworth (off waivers).

Poor moves: Billy Miller with 57th overall pick, Mike Vanderjagt with 73rd overall pick.

This was a live draft (autopicks sometimes end up with screwy steals).

League 3: Hambrick off waivers

NO bad moves
Joe da Shmoe

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby moochman » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:24 pm

Thanks for the overwhelming responses, guys. ;-D The draft is a fantasy footballer’s Christmas. Every year I fret over what I will find under my draft tree. It always blows me away the players who are ‘steals’ and the ones that make us wonder “what the heck was I thinking?” As I sift through these draft day tales, one question keeps coming to mind. If so and so was such a steal, then why did we wait so long to pick him? Are we such a slave to preset rankings, Yahoo for example, that we don’t think for ourselves? :-?
Maybe toward the end of the year we can revisit these declarations and see if we don’t feel differently about them.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby yoda83 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:38 pm

to hell w/ preset rankings! i get my sleepers b/c i can see into the future. i'm YODA, dammit!

Yoda.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:30 pm

mister N wrote:i dont see how anyone can say the worst pick in their draft was micheal vick, unless they already knew he was injured. the people didnt know if he was going to get injured. if it was prior to the injury, why is it the worst pick?

Gotta love those Vickheads. Vick in the first is the worst pick because it is a classic example of buying into the hype. First of all, he wasnt the top QB to begin with. Secondly, for everyone who was beginning to think that he might actually be superman with a helmet, there was someone else saying hed miss at least 4 games through injury because of his size and recless style.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby awwchrist » Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:04 pm

richwyld wrote:good moves I got Kurt Warner in the 6th rd and i got william green in the 12th..Bad move I think was picking up Fred taylor with my number 2 pick

12th rd for william green?

you lucked into that. you should have taken him earlier.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mister N » Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:38 pm

well ya got me cornbread. haha, but even if he wasnt the numebr one back and there was a lot of hype, picking him in the second round or so wasnt the worst pick. sure it was a bad pick, but not the WORST
'tis the season
mister N
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby moochman » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:38 am

yoda83 wrote:to hell w/ preset rankings! i get my sleepers b/c i can see into the future. i'm YODA, dammit!

Yoda.

By looking into the future to secure today’s profits you are walking the path toward the dark side, Yoda. You of all should know that rules in the Jedi knight’s code of ethics is that you do not use the force for your fantasy football. Be very careful, using the force to manipulate your fantasy football draft is the first step, next you’ll be changing your name to Darth Vick! 8-o

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:47 am

My steal? I got Shaun Alexander in the second round. I couldn't believe it... it's a league of buddies, who all know what they're doing. Perhaps my discussion of Alexander's inconsistency and horrible start last year scared them off... I don't know.

Also, I thought Vick's injury would scare away people from drafting QBs early, but McNabb still went in the first round. The guy's rational--and I don't agree, but it somewhat makes sense--was that with Vick down, McNabb is clearly the far and away best QB.

I don't care. I have a backfield of Portis and Shaun!!!! ;-D
Transmogrifier
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TyceBunn » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:19 am

10 team league

I,(best) getting kelly holcomb in the 16th round

worst being alge crumpler in the sixth
TyceBunn
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The_Dude » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:22 pm

I'm in a couple leagues this year...

Best moves: Kelly Holcomb as my #3 QB in the 18th round (last) of a draft, (same draft - Hasselbeck in the 12th round)

Worst moves: Fred Taylor with my 2nd pick overall... I think I took Stacey Mack too early (9th round) in my first draft...

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk