Ricky has his weight back on... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ricky has his weight back on...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ricky has his weight back on...

Postby VHawk15 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:38 pm

The Miami Herald reported today that running back Ricky Williams has his weight back up to 215 pounds after being under 200 pounds a couple months ago.

Insight: Williams has confirmed to the Miami fans and the NFL with not only his weight gain, but his commitment to league treatment that he is in fact no longer retired and ready to resume his role as a running back in the National Football League. Ronnie Brown's hold out could last well into training camp--which could leave the rookie as a part of a running-back-by committee until Williams returns from his projected four game suspension. If you can't see the writing on the wall then let me point out the penmanship. Williams will reclaim his featured running back role, in Miami or with another team, as early as Week #5 this season. Fantasy owners need to realize this and make Ricky a middle round selection in their upcoming fantasy drafts. Soon, and I mean very soon the running back situation in Miami will be clearly evident. Ronnie Brown will be the third down back this year and new head coach Nick Saban will feature Williams upon his return in Week #5. Williams fantasy stock will continue to rise as the summer progresses. If you are still in denial about Williams intentions, don't remain in the dark about who the will make the largest fantasy impact this year at running back in Miami. After Week #5, the first team running back will be the un-retired Ricky Williams. (TonyFinn/PFSi)

The second part is mainly opinion, but the important thing is that Ricky is training hard and appears to be bulking up with ease.

Watch out, Ronnie... :-o

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:52 am

Ricky is probably the biggest risk/reward pick there is in fantasy football this year, anyone have any idea what sort of round he is typically going in? I would have guessed late 7th to early 9th.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:05 am

I wouldn't take him any earlier than the 9th round at this point. He still has a lot to prove and it's fairly obvious he's not the future in Miami. If he can show something in the preseason and Ronnie Brown continues to hold out, he'll rise in value, but right now he's no greater than a 9th round pick.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:10 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:I wouldn't take him any earlier than the 9th round at this point. He still has a lot to prove and it's fairly obvious he's not the future in Miami. If he can show something in the preseason and Ronnie Brown continues to hold out, he'll rise in value, but right now he's no greater than a 9th round pick.

I disagree somewhat. It doesn't really matter (in redraft leagues) what his future in Miami is, because Saben looks satisfied with him at least for this year.

According to antsports.com, Ronnie is a 4th-6th rounder and Ricky is a 8th-10th rounder. I think this is a bit ridiculous. In all likelihood, Ronnie's only games may be the first four of the season, in which Miami has a harsh schedule against the run with Denver, NYJ, Carolina, and Buffalo. Ouch.

Sure, Ricky is a risk, and double-sure, he's a pothead, but 6 rounds later than the guy that will probably be his backup by October? I'll take that.
Last edited by VHawk15 on Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Supernick » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:19 am

Sure, Ricky is a risk, and double-sure, he's a pothead, but 6 rounders later than the guy that will probably be his backup by October? I'll take that.

lol! that's true. :-P
Supernick
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Keyser_WV » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:29 am

Ricky would have been a top 3 pick last year and I see him returning to his old form with no problems.

Fanasy wise it is risk/reward because he will miss the first 5 games of the season including Miami's bye week so that only leaves him available for 9 fantasy regular season games in most formats.

It really depends on how Brown performs in those first 4 games. If he struggles I bet Ricky will take the load and probably take some fantasy owners who grabbed him to the playoffs.

If Brown does well it could be RBBC.

I would take him in round 6 if he was still there just because of the reward factor.

Keeper/Dynasty maybe earlier.
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:05 am

I'm not going to touch him until 8+ rounds. If he doesn't pan out, it won't be a huge deal to me anyways :-°
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MadScott » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:51 am

I don't think that there is precedence for such things but can anyone think of another RB that took a year off and came back to the league? I would be curious to see what he did productionwise if there was even someone who did this.

I'm guessing that Ricky is going to be rusty for awhile when he comes back, say at least until the mid way point of the season. You can't shut it down for a year and expect to jump back in where you left off.

Looks like the Cheeto/burrito/Twinkie diet is working. :-°
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:10 am

MadScott wrote:I don't think that there is precedence for such things but can anyone think of another RB that took a year off and came back to the league? I would be curious to see what he did productionwise if there was even someone who did this.

I'm guessing that Ricky is going to be rusty for awhile when he comes back, say at least until the mid way point of the season. You can't shut it down for a year and expect to jump back in where you left off.

Looks like the Cheeto/burrito/Twinkie diet is working. :-°

Didn't Larry Czonka leave the NFL for like a year/two to play in that World Football League and then came back later I thought?
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:13 am

Keyser_WV wrote:Ricky would have been a top 3 pick last year and I see him returning to his old form with no problems.

What? Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Ricky disappoint owners his last season? I hardly think he would have been drafted that high.

I disagree with Mr Finn, I don't know that RastyRicky can be an elite level RB anymore. There are two things that should not be forgotten:

1) The only reason he is comming back is because of the money he would lose. And the desire to keep your coin isn't the same as the desire to excel on the field.

2) He has spent a year totally away from the game and working out. His weight gain sounds pretty impressive, but also disturbing. What kind of weight can he be putting on? Will he have any stamina? And don't forget that for the last year whenever Ricky has hit the afterburners, it's been to re-spark up his joint :-°

There just seems to be too many questions for him to be considered as anything more than a flyer when draft time comes, IMO.

While Ricky may have changed his beliefs but TonyFinn, by ignoring these facts, shows that he hasnt' given up mind altering drug use.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk