Warpigs' Sure-to-Bust List.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Warpigs' Sure-to-Bust List....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Warpigs' Sure-to-Bust List....

Postby Warpigs » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:59 am

I've seen a ton of bust lists over the last couple of weeks, and they seem to be able to identify one or two solid bust candidates here and there. The following are players that will fall short of expectations this year -- in light of where they've been going in mock drafts to date...

1. Marvin Harrison. He's still going off the boards as one of the big three WR -- somewhere in the second round in many drafts. How can this be? Were people not paying attention to Indy's offense last year? The emergence of both Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley along with steadily increaing attention to Dallas Clark and a renewed focus for Edgerrin James within the offense all spells trouble for Harrison. While he would make a great No. 2 receiver on any fantasy team -- Harrison is going well too early and will disappoint his scattered owners and fans.

2. Ahman Green. The Packers have perennially overlooked Ahman as the team's true heart and soul and placed games too many times in the sometimes careless hands of Brett Favre. Green has been overlooked too often by the coaching staff in the past and things look even more dismal this season. The Packers have major questions on the offensive line and took some big steps backwards defensively. Green Bay will find itself having to play from behind on an almost weekly basis -- which leads to the run being abandoned even more. Even if Ahman stays healthy all season, he will be seeing the ball less and less.

3. Antonio Gates. A reliable, big target in the endzone last season, Gates revolutionized the perceived value of a TE in fantasy football. However, he also was one of only two solid options for Brees -- the other being LT2. This season, the squad is teaming with talent -- including a healthy Keenan McCardell and Reche Caldwell. Gates will not be asked to step into the forefront as much as before, and while I don't see his stats falling off too dramatically, they WILL balance out overall. As a tight end going in the third round of many fantasy drafts, Gates will need to ,maintain a high level of achievement and will be under constant scrutiny.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Evolution » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:57 am

Love all of these calls. ;-D
[b][url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224384]What happened to Evo?[/url][/b]
Evolution
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:10 am

Where Green's going is an ecellent value pick IMO. He's going early to mid second round in most of the drafts I've been in. I believe he'll exceed expectations this year.
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:13 am

I'll disagree on Gates. Even when Caldwell was healthyl and McCardell was there, Gates was still the main threat. They have no reason not to keep going back to Gates, because hes pretty hard to stop. I see more yards and maybe 1-2 less TDs for Gates this year. Probably something like 1100-12.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby chaindog35 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:21 am

i disagree on gates. and i think where ahman is going in most drafts (2nd rd), he is a nice value. Gates obviously will be hard-pressed to get as many tds this year, but i can see him getting a few more yards and and couple less tds. You're right about the 3rd round being too high for him though. I don't draft any TE before the 4th, no matter what the situation.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Heavyg25 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:24 am

creamdoorthirtyniner wrote:Where Green's going is an ecellent value pick IMO. He's going early to mid second round in most of the drafts I've been in. I believe he'll exceed expectations this year.

All I am going to say is that if you take a chance on Green this year you better be sure you have his backup.
Heavyg25
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Goatwhacker » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:36 am

I don't know if I'd call them busts, they all could have decent years but I agree they all are probably ranked too high in most drafts. I think Gates is a stud TE and while he may not get as many looks he is still #2 TE behind Gonzales.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby koffeeboy » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:07 am

I disagree on HArrison. I still think he has Peyton's eye for another season or two. In fact Wayne's, Stokely's and Clark's presence should just maked things easier for him to get his cathces.

For leagues that reward points for receptions, maybe Holt, Walker or CJ would be better options than Harry, but for TD heavy leagues, I'd still feel comfortable if I nabbed Harrison.

I also agree that Green is good value to where he is falling start up/re-draft leagues.

And I am also not sold on Gates being the consensus # 1 TE to take until he proves he can do it again.

I have over 13 sources in my spreadsheet and their consensus ranks him just above Gonzo. If I were to take 1 in round 4, I'd go with Gonzo.
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bagobonez » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:24 pm

Heavyg25 wrote:
creamdoorthirtyniner wrote:Where Green's going is an ecellent value pick IMO. He's going early to mid second round in most of the drafts I've been in. I believe he'll exceed expectations this year.

All I am going to say is that if you take a chance on Green this year you better be sure you have his backup.

I wouldn't see Najeh or Fisher doing much better. The Packers' offensive line still lost two good quality interior guys, and the defense is still terrible. If Ahman won't succeed, neither will his backups.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:54 pm

I'm going to disagree with all three. Harrison had a career high in touchdowns last season and although his yardage numbers have dropped, leaving Marv in single coverage in the red zone hasn't hurt his scoring totals. I see little reason why he won't have similar numbers to last years totals.

I am a true believer in the Chargers offense and don't think last year was a fluke. Brees will continue to shine and Gates will always be a hard target to cover. He may not reach the record breaking numbers he saw last year, but he is a certain top 3 TE.

As for Ahman, I've seen him go in the mid to late second round and that is a great value for a back of his calibur. Even if he only marginally improves last years totals, he's a great 2nd back. The Packers won't get worse on defense and Ahman will get his share of touches as always.

You want the face of bust...here he is:

Image[/img]
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk