Deshaun Foster - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Deshaun Foster

Moderator: Football Moderators

Deshaun Foster

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:14 pm

Why is he ranked so low this year? is he still hurt? is the carolina backfield too crowded? someone in the know please fill me in here.
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:23 pm

I think Foster is nice sleeper if you can get him relatively late, because I believe he's easily the most talented RB in Carolina. But, he has some serious injury problems and will possibly battle for carries with the rookie, Eric Shelton. Stephen Davis is still around in spirit, but he has lost about 3 steps and a half.

The main reason he's ranked so low is just because the backfield is so crowded, and a fantasy owner really can't be sure if there will be an RBBC, or who will win the starting job. But, because Carolina doesn't really have a history of RBBC's, and they have a pretty solid O-Line, Foster is a decent #3 RB.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:32 pm

Foster has yet to prove he's anything special. They drafted Eric Shelton 2nd round for a reason, and he's been impressive in camp. Nick Goings proved he could handle the load and could get a chance to compete. And Stephen Davis is still there.

I'd rather draft Shelton who can be had many rounds later than Foster.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pete123444 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:13 pm

I like Foster. I'm hearing Goings isn't able to handle the job long term. I think Davis is pretty much done and there as a backup and veteran presence only. I don't think Shelton will do much this year and will end up taking over the FB spot next year. I really look for Foster to get the bulk and if he gets hurt, Davis will run till Foster is back.
Pete123444
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:34 pm

Pete123444 wrote:I like Foster. I'm hearing Goings isn't able to handle the job long term. I think Davis is pretty much done and there as a backup and veteran presence only. I don't think Shelton will do much this year and will end up taking over the FB spot next year. I really look for Foster to get the bulk and if he gets hurt, Davis will run till Foster is back.

Yeah, I like Foster a lot, too. I think he's a great pickup as a #3 RB as VHawk suggests. He could easily put up #1 numbers if he stays healthy. Shelton is a threat, but I think Foster will be the guy in Carolina if he can stay on the field.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby s0meguy » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:49 pm

I look at Carolina this year like I look at Denver every year. Whoever gets the job is going to be a stud, but anyone's guess is as good as mine. Any of Foster, Davis, Shelton, or Goings could see signifigant playing time.
Ragin Cajuns on year #4
s0meguy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby cardiac cats » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:49 pm

DeShaun Foster will be great this year IMO... for awhile 8-o

Goings will not be a factor- we only used him out of pure necessity last year.
Shelton clearly won't be switched to fullback as someone posted... however he may have a slight impact early on in the year to spell foster.
It gets dicey with the davis situation. Basically from all indications he's still not ready for the start of the season, BUT when he does get healty(I'm predicting middle of the season), this could turn into him and foster splitting carries, or maybe like a staley/bettis combo... so that's really the only worry.
Bottom line, if foster steps up this year look for him to run with the reigns, then when davis gets back they'll pound both of em' during that playoff stretch run.
Foster is certainly a good # 3 back for your team, and could easily turn into a servicable #2. Maybe around 1000 rushing/ 7-8 tds this year
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby tanner » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:27 am

He's a bum..too small to carry the ball 300+ times as a starter. a great 3rd down/change of pace back, but not much more..steve davis is shot..Shelton could lock that starting job down by week 3, and so could nick goings..
Foster is not the prototypical power running back that the offensive coordinator Dan Henning covets..hes a terrific complement to the power running game..
enter shelton or goings as the featured back.
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby VaderFin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:33 am

Foster is the kinda guy who every year is being talked about as a potential impact player. Then the season starts and he gets hurt. And as was stated above the RB situation is very crowded in Carolina. This is a position definitely worth watching closely in camp and preseason games to see who will be the featured back or if it will be a committee.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby benm3218 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:34 am

tanner wrote:He's a bum..too small to carry the ball 300+ times as a starter. a great 3rd down/change of pace back, but not much more..steve davis is shot..Shelton could lock that starting job down by week 3, and so could nick goings..
Foster is not the prototypical power running back that the offensive coordinator Dan Henning covets..hes a terrific complement to the power running game..
enter shelton or goings as the featured back.

i doubt it. :-t
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk