What do you do with the last 5 picks in your draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What do you do with the last 5 picks in your draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What do you do with the last 5 picks in your draft?

Postby aussieboy » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:27 pm

I'm curious to find out how people spend their last 5 rounds worth of picks.

Unless I select a stud defense early (which is v.rare), I usually pick a D and a kicker in the last 5 rounds.

Apart from defenses and kickers do you have a strategy on what sort of players you like to take?

Do you select a backup QB? Take deep sleeper WRs or RBs? Select handcuffs for your studs?

Which players are you finding that are always available in the last few rounds that you seem to be selecting often.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:33 pm

I always look for sleepers in the last few rounds. Next on my list are good hancuffs for my backs. Finally, I end the draft with a kicker ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:34 pm

Well definately a defense and kicker. I also like to see where I may be lacking in depth, and then take some fliers at that position. Guys with talent but get overlooked. I usually end up dropping these guys, but once in a while you draft a guy who really helps out.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:45 pm

Depends on how deep the draft is. If I don't draft an early kicker or defense I either wait till the very end, or just ignore them and draft more sleepers at WR and RB until the season nears.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby aussieboy » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:55 pm

Anyone willing to drop any names of the guys they usually like to pick up late?

Guys like Mewelde Moore, Reche Caldwell etc etc?
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Smizzy » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:57 pm

Im stock piling WR's and bacup Rb's and sleepers....Ill target 2 D's and 2 K's to draft with my last 2 picks....I try not to reach for them and if they go i usually go with the BAP(best available player)
Smizzy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby J2thez929 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:58 pm

aussieboy wrote:Anyone willing to drop any names of the guys they usually like to pick up late?

It all depends on how deep your league is. If its a 12-teamer and goes 18 rounds you might want to check out the "All-American Fantasy Football Keeper League" forum here. That should give you a solid idea on what guys are goin towards the end. Lets just say it ain't pretty
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chud214 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:01 am

Usually I find myself trying to handcuff one of my RBs or trying to find a true sleeper. If you're lucky, you can nab someone that may take a year to be truly ready. For instance, in my 2003 keeper league draft, I held the LAST pick. That player was Willis McGahee. I was willing to sacrifice a roster spot for him simply based on potential, and that is now the steal of our drafts over the last 5 years. Was I lucky? Yes. That same year, I drafted Michael Bennett, knowing going in that he wouldn't be playing until the second half of the season. As soon as he was healthy, I used him as valuable trade bait. Give yourself a healthy bench, but don't be afraid to take a gamble on at least two of your last three picks.
GO BEAVS!!! 2006,2007 NCAA Baseball National Champions!!!
chud214
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby aussieboy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:07 am

J2thez929 wrote:
aussieboy wrote:Anyone willing to drop any names of the guys they usually like to pick up late?

It all depends on how deep your league is. If its a 12-teamer and goes 18 rounds you might want to check out the "All-American Fantasy Football Keeper League" forum here. That should give you a solid idea on what guys are goin towards the end. Lets just say it ain't pretty

ha, yeh i can imagine.

lets just say 12 team league 15 rounds.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:52 am

Sleepers, Breakout-type guys, and sick handcuffs.

I pick up defense late and kicker in the last round.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk