How does a novice like myself.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How does a novice like myself....

Moderator: Football Moderators

How does a novice like myself....

Postby mystykoekaki » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:58 pm

Prepare for an online draft? I have access to many sites like Footballguys, footballdocs. But I kinda expect them not to help me out much because I know what guys are good and all. I guess my real question is: How do I know who to pick in the draft? Having concerns because I have never did a live draft before.

Any Help or Suggestions? You to get in each round?

Mystykoekaki
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:02 am

Just prepare a cheatsheet/rankings for each position. If you can't do that on your own, then check out our rankings here in the "Cheat Sheets" section. We recent put together a decent list. Then tweak the rankings a bit to your liking on go to town in your draft. If you are in a normal sized league(10 or 12 teams) then you should consider drafting RB, RB, WR, WR, then best value from there on. Of course this all changes b/c you have to adapt to the draft and the way its goin. I mean, if Manning falls to you in the second round, they he becomes almost a sure selection. But basically prepare your list and roll with it.
Last edited by J2thez929 on Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mystykoekaki » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:08 am

they you should consider drafting RB, RB, WR, WR,

So get QB in like 5th round?
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby defianthart » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:25 am

mystykoekaki wrote:

it depends, if a lot of QBs have all ready been drafted then you should draft your QB. generally you would pick RB, RB, WR, WR but if you see that the one position is being drafted particularly fast, you might want to pick a player from there.

also try out some live mock drafts, like the saying goes "practice makes perfect" and mocks are the practice of FF. if you check out the classifieds section there are usually at least 1 mock advertised a week.
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:22 am

defianthart wrote:
mystykoekaki wrote:

it depends, if a lot of QBs have all ready been drafted then you should draft your QB. generally you would pick RB, RB, WR, WR but if you see that the one position is being drafted particularly fast, you might want to pick a player from there.

also try out some live mock drafts, like the saying goes "practice makes perfect" and mocks are the practice of FF. if you check out the classifieds section there are usually at least 1 mock advertised a week.

Actually, I look at it the opposite. If alot of QB's are gone, that means most people have taken them and you have no pressing need to get one. They won't be out looking for one, so you should be getting that WR or RB that you need to round out your position, or you will be playing catchup in every spot until the end of the draft.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby defianthart » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:25 am

yeah i guess thats true, scratch that statement from the record
[u]Vince Lombardi Dynasty League(cafe)[/u]
Coweta Dirty Birds: Runner-Up

[u]The Chosen Dynasty League(money)[/u]
Zoso's Ringers: Champs
defianthart
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:37 am

This is one of the most essential tools to use when drafting:

http://www.antsports.com/adp.aspx

knowing where players generally go on average in drafts is of monumental importance.

ADP= Average Draft Position.

very very important. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:37 am

Sixx thinks just like me ;-) Basically, I use the BPA plan, and work inbetween the runs and such to complete my stating lineup with a pretty strong all around team, not just one position in particular.

If there's a good value pick to be made come your turn, and you don't have any player or need in mind to take/fill, go with it. Chances are he'll end up helping you in things like trade bait if you don't start him.
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bellybrother » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:39 am

Sixxgunn wrote:
defianthart wrote:
mystykoekaki wrote:

Actually, I look at it the opposite. If alot of QB's are gone, that means most people have taken them and you have no pressing need to get one. They won't be out looking for one, so you should be getting that WR or RB that you need to round out your position, or you will be playing catchup in every spot until the end of the draft.

Right. If you see that in the 5th round Manning, Culpepper, McNabb, Green, Bulger, Collins and Vick are gone....and they probably will be then you can surely wait til the 7th or 8th round and still get Plummer, Brooks or maybe even Hasselbeck. Then use your 5th and 6th picks for a decent te or depth at rb and wr.

That is of course if you have gone rb, rb, wr, wr. But as stated earlier, go with the flow, rb,rb,wr,wr may be your guideline, but don't etch it in stone. If good value drops anywhere, don't be afraid to jump, just make up for it with your next pick or two.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Emmitt » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:24 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
ADP= Average Draft Position.

very very important. ;-D

agreed!

http://www.xpertsports.com/index.php4 is another good site to obtain ADP info.
League champion two years running on XpertSports.com (free survivor leagues and mock drafts at www.XpertSports.com)
Emmitt
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Football Talk