Question of Strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Question of Strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Question of Strategy

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:53 am

When you guys have tons of talent at a position, what do you do?

Do you trade from that strength?
Or do you keep all those guys, picking the ultimate matchups for your players.

I'm a fan of the starter-by-committee matchup-picking route, but I just want to see what others think.

Hopefully I wasn't too confusing.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bennett4prez » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:09 pm

You do whatever will make your scoring most potent, bottom line. If you have 3 amazing running backs and all your WRs are #2 guys, you trade out of that situation and make your scoring as optimal as possible each week.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Emmitt » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:10 pm

If I have depth, I try to trade it for a stud player so that I can play the 2 studs without much thought.

Playing matchups is only good if you have no studs and several low-end 2rd tier or 3rd tier players.
League champion two years running on XpertSports.com (free survivor leagues and mock drafts at www.XpertSports.com)
Emmitt
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 9er Fan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:12 pm

At some point during the season, I ususally trade to make the best possible lineup and cross my fingers on injuries. If my strength happens to be at the RB position, I'll usually try and wait until after my BYE weeks are done. Towards the end of the season, I'll lean towards handcuffing my critical players rather than filling my bench with 'upside' guys.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:30 pm

9er Fan wrote:At some point during the season, I ususally trade to make the best possible lineup and cross my fingers on injuries. If my strength happens to be at the RB position, I'll usually try and wait until after my BYE weeks are done. Towards the end of the season, I'll lean towards handcuffing my critical players rather than filling my bench with 'upside' guys.

That's the scary part---injuries. It never fails that when you don't have depth, you lose one or two guys. When you have four starting quality backs, everyone stays healthy.....until you trade a couple!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Calyxes » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:38 pm

The one posotion that i like to have depth at is RB. Otherwise I will trade to make my team better.
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby VaderFin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:55 pm

I'm willing to trade WR or maybe QB depth but I almost never trade RB depth. As Sixgunn said, injuries can happen any time here and you are in big trouble if your #1 goes down and your #3 blows.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:42 am

It's great to have depth and be able to exploit matchups, but if you have a large hole to fill elsewhere, you probably have to find a way to fill it, and that usually means trading from strength.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:48 am

Barring a glaring weakness, I don't like to trade sooner than week 3. That way if somebody's idea of a RB tandem was Kevin Barlow and Portis (using last year as example), that team will be panincing. He's ready for picking. Likewise you can get a better read on your strengths and weaknesses.

I like to try to keep RB depth if possible, but now at the expense of my team's chance of winning now. Having a stellar bench is of no use if you team is leaking at any one position.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk