Culpepper - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Culpepper

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:50 pm

gtabaplayr wrote:I know Troy Williamson isn't Randy Moss, but I haven't even seen his name mentioned in this thread. He will certainly counter-act the Moss loss to an extent. That is a nice recieving core when you add in Wiggins, Burleson, Robinson, and Bennett out of the backfield. For me Culpepper is a lock to be a top 3 QB when you add in his rushing ability if he plays 14 or more games this year.

Troy Williamson is a long term project. He is buried on the MIN depth chart and has so far looked pretty bad this summer due to frequently dropping passes they feel he should catch. He is not Randy Moss nor does he counter-act any Moss effect. I see him being drafted well before MRob in some drafts which is crazy to me.

Cpepp faced some of the worst pass defenses in the league while Moss was injured - everyone beat up on IND, TEN, GB, and DET last yr - against an above avg pass D in the Giants, Cpepp saw his worst game of the yr. He faces a much tougher schedule this yr.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby koffeeboy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:05 pm

Williamson is nothing more than a slot receiver.
2002 O.F.F.L. League Champs!

"Easiest way to find a needle in a haystack? Burn the Haystack." - Kareem Said (HBO's Oz)

[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
koffeeboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:09 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Cpepp faced some of the worst pass defenses in the league while Moss was injured - everyone beat up on IND, TEN, GB, and DET last yr - against an above avg pass D in the Giants, Cpepp saw his worst game of the yr. He faces a much tougher schedule this yr.

Not to mention that despite playing those poor pass defenses when Moss was out, his stats still took a significant hit in those games compared to his stats in games with Moss.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:28 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I would spend a third round pick on Culpepper. He's one of the few QBs in the NFL who is going to get you significant points on the ground and is the equal to many of the top passing QBs in the league as well. Culpepper's rushing stats are highly underrated and I think they will trend up as he is forced to make more plays happen for his team.

Exactly, he's worth a 3rd rounder, and is an excellent pickup there. Unfortunately, someone is almost always taking him in the early 2nd round.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby aussieboy » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:48 pm

Kensat30 wrote:I would spend a third round pick on Culpepper. He's one of the few QBs in the NFL who is going to get you significant points on the ground and is the equal to many of the top passing QBs in the league as well. Culpepper's rushing stats are highly underrated and I think they will trend up as he is forced to make more plays happen for his team.

Agree with this.

I think the loss of Moss will result in a slight drop off in Cpepps numbers, but I don't think his overall fantasy value will fall that much.

A few are alluding to Cpepps numbers whilst Moss was injured last yr as an argument that Cpepp will decline without Randy. I don't really agree with this. Moss' injury was obviously unplanned, Cpepp had no adjustment period to deal without Randy. Moss was obviously a massive massive part of their offense, so him getting injured suddenly of course is going to affect Cpepp.

With Moss being traded, Daunte has had all offseason to learn to play with his new WRs and get to know their strengths/weaknesses better. I'm sure some of the playcalls have been changed too, simply because no other WR in the league can do what Randy can. So Daunte is much better equiped now to deal with his offense without Randy than he was last season when Randy got injured.

I also predict a rise Daunte's rushing numbers. This is absolutely key to Culpepper mainting his high value. If his rushing stats remain the same or decline then im certain his overall value will decline, simply because I dont think his passing numbers will remain the same without Moss.

I think a return to his 2002 rushing totals of 600 yards with 5-10TDs is possible. Who knows, instead of being able to hurl the ball 60 yards down field when in trouble cpepp now decide to take off with his feet, or instead of those jump balls to Moss inside the 10yard line, cpepp could run some TDs. It's all possible.

I know there will be some guy who will take Culpepper early second, so my chances of landing him are minimal simply because i'd rather take a stud WR in the second round. If he falls to the 3rd though I would select him without hesitation.
aussieboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:39 pm

don't they play the pats division this year? if so -- pitt, NE, Baltimore, No moss, improved Lions and Bears Defense? No thanks.

Even still though, anything lower than three or four is hard to stomach.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk