League Format problem....need opinions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

League Format problem....need opinions

Moderator: Football Moderators

League Format problem....need opinions

Postby crush3r » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:45 pm

The past few years...my league has started 2 defenses and 2 kickers. In the past there were only 10 teams so everyone could have there 2 starters plus a back-up for bye weeks.

This year...we're switching to a 12 team league, but the commish is still making every1 start 2 defenses and 2 kickers. This means that at least 4 teams will be without a backup defense and kicker for bye weeks.

I'm not really concered about the kickers as much as i am about the defenses. In my league, a good defense (14-20 pts allowed 1 sack and 2 TOs) scores about 30 points a week (which is about equal to a RB going about 100 yds plus a TD). So for 4 teams to not have a backup is really unfair and is greatly increasing the luck factor.

I was going to say something to the commish but I would like other peoples opinions on this first to make sure i'm not just being too picky.

Thanks
crush3r
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:51 pm

Start 1 Defense and 1 Kicker.

2 Defenses is ridiculous.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Emmitt » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:03 pm

Are you also starting 2 QB's, 3 RB's, and 4 WR's? Curious, if so, then I'd expect some owners will make trades when needed and will be doing so to cover defense bye weeks also. If all 32 defenses are drafted evenly, 8 teams will have 3 defenses and 4 will have 2. Surely 4 teams can make trades, and if starting 2 QB's, teams probably are trading anyways.

If not starting 2 QB....., then I'd recommend going down to 1 Defense and 1 kicker.
League champion two years running on XpertSports.com (free survivor leagues and mock drafts at www.XpertSports.com)
Emmitt
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:08 pm

Your league should vote on a change to 1 kicker/1 def. Majority rules.

Requiring two of each under these circumstances is retarded!
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Xtreme » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:48 pm

Yeah, starting 2 PK and 2 Def in any league is pushing it. In a 12 team league is way off. I would push hard to have a vote.
HIR? viewtopic.php?t=507654#p3396000

Beware the Buffalion!
Xtreme
Head Coach
Head Coach

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:56 am

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that starting two defenses in a 12-team league is completely unthinkable, but it'll definitely have a huge impact on the league, from the draft to the tactics required to win. If that's what the league wants, that's fine, of course, but going with one defense and one kicker is a safer way to go.

You could also go with a hybrid format such as starting two Ds but only scoring points for the best one. That way, you'd stick with league tradition, but the impact of shifting to 12 teams might not be so great. Just tossing out an idea to kick around...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Plindsey88 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:25 am

IMO, by asking everyone to start 2 defenses and 2 kickers in a 12-teamer, he is essentially requiring 4 teams to go without a player on bye weeks, because not everyone can have 3 defenses when there are only 32 to go around.... That sounds very shady to me.... IMO, he would be better off having a defense/kicker flex position if this is really the format he wants to adopt.... 1 kicker - 1 defense - 1 kicker/defense flex spot....

So everyone starts EITHER 2 kickers or 2 defenses every week....

It still adds the strategic element to the draft of making kickers and defense somewhat more important, but without causing teams to get screwed on bye weeks....

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk