My/Another Sleeper List -- Kind Of.... (kind of long) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

My/Another Sleeper List -- Kind Of.... (kind of long)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:32 pm

Great post - appreciate the work you clearly put into it. Most of it I agree with but Barlow? He's a bad RB on a bad team, the only plus is that he's a starter. Maybe in certain formats I could see picking him up, but if you're looking for some gamble-type late picks I would let somebody else pick up Barlow. Personally I think Barlow may go too high in some drafts, where some less-well-informed people pick him up purely on his starter status. Yardage-wise he was 25th last year among RBs so I'm guessing he'll show up on some draft sheets on people who don't do much homework.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:03 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:Great post - appreciate the work you clearly put into it. Most of it I agree with but Barlow? He's a bad RB on a bad team, the only plus is that he's a starter. Maybe in certain formats I could see picking him up, but if you're looking for some gamble-type late picks I would let somebody else pick up Barlow. Personally I think Barlow may go too high in some drafts, where some less-well-informed people pick him up purely on his starter status. Yardage-wise he was 25th last year among RBs so I'm guessing he'll show up on some draft sheets on people who don't do much homework.

Ouch...I've already drafted Barlow for one league that I am in.

He is certainly better than RBs in a rbbc. Also 25th in yardage isn't so bad if you are in a 12 team league that starts 2 rb and one flex. Of course you are leaving out his TDs and ignoring the potential that he showed the year before.

I like Barlow this year. A few improvements to the O-Line, a $6.5 million off season bonus and a bounce back year make Barlow a solid #2 rb in my books. He'll do better than a lot of these rookies being taken ahead of him, guys like Benson, Brown, Arrington and Williams.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Calyxes » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:07 pm

nice post ;-D
Calyxes
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby ironman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:17 pm

Mookie4ever_ffc wrote:
Goatwhacker wrote:Great post - appreciate the work you clearly put into it. Most of it I agree with but Barlow? He's a bad RB on a bad team, the only plus is that he's a starter. Maybe in certain formats I could see picking him up, but if you're looking for some gamble-type late picks I would let somebody else pick up Barlow. Personally I think Barlow may go too high in some drafts, where some less-well-informed people pick him up purely on his starter status. Yardage-wise he was 25th last year among RBs so I'm guessing he'll show up on some draft sheets on people who don't do much homework.

He is certainly better than RBs in a rbbc. Also 25th in yardage isn't so bad if you are in a 12 team league that starts 2 rb and one flex. Of course you are leaving out his TDs and ignoring the potential that he showed the year before.

I like Barlow this year. A few improvements to the O-Line, a $6.5 million off season bonus and a bounce back year make Barlow a solid #2 rb in my books. He'll do better than a lot of these rookies being taken ahead of him, guys like Benson, Brown, Arrington and Williams.

I'm not sold on Barlow. Why would SF use a high draft pick to take Frank Gore if they were happy with Barlow or even Hicks? Plus you have to figure the Niners will be playing catch up a lot this season so who knows if they'll have a steady running attack.
ironman
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:31 pm

ironman wrote:
Mookie4ever_ffc wrote:

I'm not sold on Barlow. Why would SF use a high draft pick to take Frank Gore if they were happy with Barlow or even Hicks? Plus you have to figure the Niners will be playing catch up a lot this season so who knows if they'll have a steady running attack.

Gore is a third round pick. They gave him the bonus to tell him that he is their man.

Barlow was 18th in the league in rushing attempt last year. Are you arguing that the 49ers are going to get even worse and therefore Barlow is going to get even fewer touches? The 9ers should be better and their schedule easier - all of which bodes well for Kevan.

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:39 pm

Mookie4ever_ffc wrote:Barlow was 18th in the league in rushing attempt last year. Are you arguing that the 49ers are going to get even worse and therefore Barlow is going to get even fewer touches? The 9ers should be better and their schedule easier - all of which bodes well for Kevan.

I don't know - remember last year Barlow got hurt and Hicks filled in. When Barlow got better they still started Hicks for a game and Barlow whined about it. Hicks ended up sucking so bad they put Barlow back in. I don't think the 49ers are totally sold on Barlow and would love an alternative.

I don't play in leagues with flex positions so maybe Barlow would be a reasonable pick for a flex, but I would be very uncomfortable going into the season with him as my #2 RB.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kyle2270 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:18 pm

It is not that Barlow sucks it was the team that sucks. If you take Barlow and put him behind a better line a better QB and some WR's to take some heat off he would have done better. He is the same runner he was the year before last with Garcia, Owens, a good O-line, ect. Don't hate on Barlow hate on the 49ners. But with less expectations he could put up better numbers. Me i will stay away from him unless absolutely desperate for a starter.
For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son.
kyle2270
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Ricky_Christ » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:04 am

If Barlow falls far enough (which he most likely will) I'll grab him as a #4 RB. Then if he comes out of the gates blazing I'll have some nice trade material early-mid season.

The great thing about Barlow is that he isn't one of those picks you worry half the draft about when to take. If someone else grabs him, great: You deal with him buddy. :-D
Praise Ricky!
Ricky_Christ
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby houstonherdfan » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:50 pm

I have seen several people post regarding Gaffeny.

My son just today finished his youth football camp at the HoustonTexans' facility. Jabar was out there 4 of the 5 days (working during the breaks and sections that the camp was not using) working on routes, hand drills, running, footwork among other things. After seeing the work he is putting in this week, he might just take some pressure off AJ and give them something on the other side. I would not hesitate to take him as my #4 WR if his bye week is different than the rest of my WR. (He will go later than most #4 WR's so you could address other needs and still have someone to step in during bye weeks).

A side note the Texans have an awesome practice facility.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby creamdoorthirtyniner » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:59 pm

Don't let biasedness cloud your vision HHH ;-)
"I like rusty spooons...I like to touch them"
-Salad Fingers

Help Find a Cure for Diabetes,With a Simple Donantion to[url]http://www.jdrf.org/[/url]
You can make a difference!!
creamdoorthirtyniner
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk