Chris Brown is a first round pick. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chris Brown is a first round pick.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby benm3218 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:12 pm

skibrett15 wrote:I think you are dismissing Turf Toe as a silly stupid injury. Had he pulled a hammy or broken a bone people wouldn't view him as fragile. Turf toe is not an injury that was caused by his "upright running style" and is apparently an extremely painful injury.

I didn't understand this post..... I reread the ones above and don't know who you were talking too...... We are all saying we view him as a good value.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:23 pm

moochman wrote:Brown is one of the most feast or famine backs in the league. He will put up a game full of stats by half one week and miss the next because of a turf toe or some other malady. If he stays healthy so will his owners chances of winning big.

the some other malady makes turf toe sound like a a joke. As for the "upright running style comment" I was just trying to preempt the eventual comment " he's gonna get hurt due to his upright running style"
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby benm3218 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:33 pm

ahhhh... yes i see i didnt read the posts well enough.
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Azrael » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:09 pm

I'm not so much down on Chris Brown as I am on how bad the Titans are supposed to be that it will negatively affect his production.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby terpfan » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:15 pm

FantasyMoneyMan wrote:Tenn really wants Brown to be there #1. In there eyes, they do not want another back to compete with him. They would like to get another A. Smith out there to supplement Brown. This is also great news for Brown.

Is that an opinion or did you get that from somewhere? I recently drafted Brown as my 3rd RB (I can start him at a flex spot) and that'd be nice news if it were true. Brown is obviously very talented, so I think if he can stay healthy he will put up very good numbers despite the situation in Tennessee. At least good #2 RB numbers.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby MisterHappy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:10 am

I heard the same thing somewhere about Antowain Smith as the Titans #2. They dont want to spend on a back, just get someone decent just in case.
MisterHappy
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:26 am

skibrett15 wrote:
moochman wrote:Brown is one of the most feast or famine backs in the league. He will put up a game full of stats by half one week and miss the next because of a turf toe or some other malady. If he stays healthy so will his owners chances of winning big.

the some other malady makes turf toe sound like a a joke. As for the "upright running style comment" I was just trying to preempt the eventual comment " he's gonna get hurt due to his upright running style"

Chris Brown is prone to injuries, be they turf toe or another injury. Is that more suitible to you? Labeling it a malady doesn't denote it as a joke. The point of my post was that Brown can be frustrating in that he can play one week with an injury, I used truf toe because he had that malady last season, and put up fantastic numbers. He then might have to miss the next game becasue of a worsening of his ailment. So his very strength in being able to perform with a pretty bad injury, also becomes his weakness in that it can disable him in the next game or even next half.

And his upright running style does open him up for taking big hits, which hurt. Makes a player more prone to injury.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby benm3218 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:49 am

okay, but lets not forget the point is this:

It is widely accepted that he is a risk.
Because of that he is drafted in the 3rd round.
If he stays healthy you got a huge HUGE bargain.

I was at the game where he had a shoulder stinger last year(Jacksonville or texans I think). It was very scary to watch. However, it WAS NOT because of upright running style. He lowered his shoulders and smashed into the tackler in an almost horizontal position.

He is very good at running upright and breaking 30 yarders, then lowering his shoulders WHEN he needs to. I don't feel his running style is to blame for his injuries, after actually seeing him in action. You can't read what are just some guys opinion about his running style and blindly believe it. He may run upright, but it is not in my opinion a huge risk. He is in my opinion, possibly not even that injury prone.... I think you have to give a rookie more than a year before labeling him a injury risk who is always hurt...
benm3218
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bellybrother » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:55 pm

terpfan wrote:
FantasyMoneyMan wrote:Tenn really wants Brown to be there #1. In there eyes, they do not want another back to compete with him. They would like to get another A. Smith out there to supplement Brown. This is also great news for Brown.

Is that an opinion or did you get that from somewhere? I recently drafted Brown as my 3rd RB (I can start him at a flex spot) and that'd be nice news if it were true. Brown is obviously very talented, so I think if he can stay healthy he will put up very good numbers despite the situation in Tennessee. At least good #2 RB numbers.

I read that on the football guys. They had it from a Tenn newspaper I believe. It should be there still I think.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby tanner » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:12 pm

I've got Portis, Rudi, and Cris Brown as my 3 RB keepers for 2005..
Brown was the best fantasy rb in the nfl last year until he got hurt, was outrushing SA...
the hammy problem is something everyone gets as a rookie..he had that his rookie year, and also ankle problems, not unlike dom davis..
turf toe is a non contact thing, but very serious nonetheless..
i hope it doesn't come back again..

and someone posted that Anotwain smith is 2nd string on Tenn...

no , he's actually backing up Deuece Mac in new Orleans...

Walter Payton's son is backing up Chris Brown..
tanner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk