POLL: Favorite kind of player - steady or streaky - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

POLL: Favorite kind of player - steady or streaky

Moderator: Football Moderators

POLL: Favorite kind of player - steady or streaky

Postby pawnking » Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:43 am

If you have the choice between two players, both of whom will end the year with the exact same points, would you choose a player who will constantly produce the same numbers each week or one who will be silent one week and have huge games every so often?

In head to head matchups, I always try to have at least one or two streaky players (such as Bubba Franks) on my roster. With a player who will constantly put in some points but never score big, those few points will rarely make the difference between winning and losing, but a big week out of my streaky player and I'm fantasy gold.

Another advantage is if your streaky player has a great first two weeks, you can trade him high for a stud off to a slow start.
pawnking

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby culboarder » Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:01 pm

but what if your stud turns out to suck weiners? thenyour screwed.
culboarder
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby yoda83 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:07 pm

steady. i like "knowing" i got production coming from my players.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby EatMyShorts092 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:24 pm

steady like marvin harrison... nobody beats 1722 yds, 11 tds and an nfl record in receptions eith 143 (10, 100 yd games and only 2 where he didnt have 60 yds now that is a fantasy stud). he also had 5 20+ fantasy pt games (10 yd = 1 pt, td=6 pts). steaky may be good but i will be relying on steady to win my games.
EatMyShorts092
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:48 pm

EatMyShorts092 wrote:steady like marvin harrison... nobody beats 1722 yds, 11 tds and an nfl record in receptions eith 143 (10, 100 yd games and only 2 where he didnt have 60 yds now that is a fantasy stud). he also had 5 20+ fantasy pt games (10 yd = 1 pt, td=6 pts). steaky may be good but i will be relying on steady to win my games.

Sure, we'd all love to have Harrison, but I'm talking about two players who will end up with about the same total points at the end of the season, but one will always gine you a steady number of points but never have a great week vs. one who will have a low week or two against a week or two of big numbers. Think PHIL WR Thrash vs. TB WR Johnson.

Postby Ousmagic » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:47 am

id much rather have a steady player, last year i had shaun alexander and i hated the guy looking back at his year ya he had great numbers but on a week to week basis i couldnt count on him to produce good numbers and thats not what i wanted from my first round draft pick
Ousmagic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Arlo » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:31 am

If you're the favorite in a matchup, steady; if you're the underdog, streaky. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:11 pm

steady without a doubt, I had the second most points overall in my 12 team league and missed the playoffs by one game due to Shaun Alexander's inconsistencies coupled with Dillon's. That's why I took C. Garner over Dillon and S. Davis this year, I think they'll be inconsistent when playing against any top defences and have the huge games against the weak one's giving them equal numbers but way too streaky. Your number two running back should be consistent, while your number one should win you games. Same goes for Receivers - but that may be easier said than done.

Postby Plato » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:40 pm

well.... it depends, lol

I want steady Qbs and Rbs, but I like streaky Wr, Te, K -and I'll play matchup voodoo with my DEF.
Plato
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk