Julius Jones IS Michael Bennett - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Julius Jones IS Michael Bennett

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:12 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Yeah guys, Atrain is really in danger of getting cut. Ive heard Parcells wants to start the yr with only Julie, Lousaka Polite, Woodrow Dantzler, Erik Bickerstaff, Darian Barnes and Marion Barber. He's making sure he has no veteran RB on his team to prove how great a coach he is. He'd rather cut the proven veteran because he likes the challenge and excitement of having 5 backups who combined dont have 100 careeer rushing yds. ;-7

or...

I think the point isn't that Atrain may really get cut, I don't think people think that is really going to happen. The point is that if a guy has a defined role in the running game like a short-yardage/goalline guy, then you don't tell him he has to contribute on special teams to make the squad.

The fact that he has to play on special teams to have any value to Parcells leads me to believe that his role in the running game will not be significant enough in and of itself to make him worth a spot to big P. And if his role in the running game won't be signficant, then it's not going to effect JJ much.

KFFL wrote:With Jones penciled in as the starting running back, Thomas will have to show Parcells some special teams prowess to earn a roster spot and Parcells made it clear during minicamp that spelling Jones won't suffice. As noted earlier, Thomas worked on returning kicks at minicamp.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:03 am

Free Bagel wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Yeah guys, Atrain is really in danger of getting cut. Ive heard Parcells wants to start the yr with only Julie, Lousaka Polite, Woodrow Dantzler, Erik Bickerstaff, Darian Barnes and Marion Barber. He's making sure he has no veteran RB on his team to prove how great a coach he is. He'd rather cut the proven veteran because he likes the challenge and excitement of having 5 backups who combined dont have 100 careeer rushing yds. ;-7

or...

I think the point isn't that Atrain may really get cut, I don't think people think that is really going to happen. The point is that if a guy has a defined role in the running game like a short-yardage/goalline guy, then you don't tell him he has to contribute on special teams to make the squad.

The fact that he has to play on special teams to have any value to Parcells leads me to believe that his role in the running game will not be significant enough in and of itself to make him worth a spot to big P. And if his role in the running game won't be signficant, then it's not going to effect JJ much.

KFFL wrote:With Jones penciled in as the starting running back, Thomas will have to show Parcells some special teams prowess to earn a roster spot and Parcells made it clear during minicamp that spelling Jones won't suffice. As noted earlier, Thomas worked on returning kicks at minicamp.

Time out.

Can someone please show me where Parcells ever indicated ATrain would have to contribute on special teams just to make the team?

What you quoted there, FB, was typical KFFL BS - and its got too funny all riled up over it. Its not based in reality. In reality ATrain is the only veteran RB on the team and he has almost no chance of getting cut - period. First of all I have a hard time even believing a news source would create such a fabrication about him not making the team unless he plays special teams (please at least give a source if its news - otherwise what is it?) - but for intelligent people to actually buy that nonsence - give me a frickin break.

"I look at him as a between-the-tackle runner a little bit, a pretty tough guy," Parcells said abot Thomas. "My vision for him right now probably would be a thumper kind of back and maybe some short yardage, goal line, that kind of thing."

Too Funny - your claim that Atrain is soft is almost as funny as your claim that Boldin was a top 5 WR when he returned. I love your name man - it completely fits.

You guys continue to ignore the warning signs. Go ahead and think he will get 30 carries a game and all goallines. The warnings are there and they come straight from the people who matter most mouths: Parcells and JJ. However - if you would rather believe some unnamed KFFL writers opinion that he needs to contribute on special teams just to make the team - you go right ahead. You have been warned.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby PSU All Day » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:01 am

Julius is one of the backs that is a boom or bust type of back. Lots of uncertainty about him coming into the season because he was a rookie and only played in a few games and produced on and off.

I have him ranked 15th on my board in the same tier as the following:

Ahman green
K jones
S Jackson
Westbrook
C martin

All of these backs have issues as well:

Green - How will Green Bay be this year and will it hurt Green's value?
K Jones - Lots of potential, lots of offensive threats to share with.
S Jackson - How much will Faulk play?
Westbrook - TO playing? Injury risk? Buckhalter?
C Martin - Age, wear and tear from last year. Pennington back should limit touches.

The question becomes do you go with guys who have produced before (Martin, Green, Westbrook) and who still have upside potential or do you go with guys who are young, look good so far but don't have the same sample size as these other backs (s. Jackson, Julie, K Jones)?

I personally like the young guys but that is just me.

I like Julius as my second back late in the second round if I have an established stud (LT, SA, Priest). I won't take him as my second back if I took a risk on my #1 (McGahee, Portis).

Of the three young guys I have Julius ranked second behind K Jones and ahead of S. Jackson.
PSU All Day
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 34=Sweetness » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:21 am

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:I don't think A-Train would be a great special teams player, he's hasn't played special teams much, if at all, since he got into the league and he doesn't exactly have burners.

Well, I think he meant as a blocker, not a returner :*) .
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:00 pm

Not to redirect this thread, but I am with B4P. I think that Bennett is just like Julie in both talent and potential. I can't understand the descrepincies in their draft positions. They are as one.

Now will you please answer my posting?

[url]mailto:HarringtionisManning@sarcasm.off[/url]

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby awwchrist » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:01 pm

moochman wrote:Not to redirect this thread, but I am with B4P. I think that Bennett is just like Julie in both talent and potential. I can't understand the descrepincies in their draft positions. They are as one.

winner.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chaindog35 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:14 pm

moochman wrote:Not to redirect this thread, but I am with B4P. I think that Bennett is just like Julie in both talent and potential. I can't understand the descrepincies in their draft positions. They are as one.

Hilarious Mooch ;-D
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:35 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:

or...

Time out.

Can someone please show me where Parcells ever indicated ATrain would have to contribute on special teams just to make the team?

What you quoted there, FB, was typical KFFL BS - and its got too funny all riled up over it. Its not based in reality. In reality ATrain is the only veteran RB on the team and he has almost no chance of getting cut - period. First of all I have a hard time even believing a news source would create such a fabrication about him not making the team unless he plays special teams (please at least give a source if its news - otherwise what is it?) - but for intelligent people to actually buy that nonsence - give me a frickin break.

"I look at him as a between-the-tackle runner a little bit, a pretty tough guy," Parcells said abot Thomas. "My vision for him right now probably would be a thumper kind of back and maybe some short yardage, goal line, that kind of thing."

Too Funny - your claim that Atrain is soft is almost as funny as your claim that Boldin was a top 5 WR when he returned. I love your name man - it completely fits.

You guys continue to ignore the warning signs. Go ahead and think he will get 30 carries a game and all goallines. The warnings are there and they come straight from the people who matter most mouths: Parcells and JJ. However - if you would rather believe some unnamed KFFL writers opinion that he needs to contribute on special teams just to make the team - you go right ahead. You have been warned.

Courtesy of DallasCowboys.com, in the same interview with Parcells you quoted above about the goalline stuff, in fact it was the next sentence out of his mouth:

"But that's not going to be enough. He's going to have to venture out into the special teams area, which is something he's not been asked to do in his past career much. So if he can't get into doing something on special teams, then there won't be enough jobs for him."
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:40 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Courtesy of DallasCowboys.com, in the same interview with Parcells you quoted above about the goalline stuff, in fact it was the next sentence out of his mouth:

"But that's not going to be enough. He's going to have to venture out into the special teams area, which is something he's not been asked to do in his past career much. So if he can't get into doing something on special teams, then there won't be enough jobs for him."

FB - what do you believe?

Do you believe ATrain could possibly be cut?

The concept is just laughable to me given the rest of the RBs on that team.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bellybrother » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:46 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:Courtesy of DallasCowboys.com, in the same interview with Parcells you quoted above about the goalline stuff, in fact it was the next sentence out of his mouth:

FB - what do you believe?

Do you believe ATrain could possibly be cut?

The concept is just laughable to me given the rest of the RBs on that team.

As has been said before, I don't think anyone believes that A-Train will be cut.

What I take from this is what I've been saying all along. A-Train will not take enough touches away from Julius to make me want to downgrade him because of it.

If You're Not Livin On The Edge, You're Takin Up Too Much Space
bellybrother
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk